The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Average trainer cost of showing rated

I have a student who wants to start showing rated. I don't show a whole lot right now because I have kids and don't have the time, but I want to be able to give her parents a ball park of what other trainers would cost her. I'm more than happy to send her on. There are no rated barns around here, so they will have to travel probably a couple of hours to train.

This is in the MD/VA/PA area. Thanks

What sort of costs do you want? Shipping, day fees, trainer ride, set-ups? A week-long "A" show will probably be about $1k+, depending on the trainer. Probably a couple hundred for a haul-in, one-day deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    What sort of costs do you want? Shipping, day fees, trainer ride, set-ups? A week-long "A" show will probably be about $1k+, depending on the trainer. Probably a couple hundred for a haul-in, one-day deal.
    and that's not including the show costs? entries, stabling, transportation - right? just to make note of the total costs.

It depends.
    My trainers I have gone with charge 45-60 dollars a day. No set up costs (students all pitch in to help), I never have trainers ride/show my horse so no ride fees, and I trailer my own horse. Hotel costs are split among students, as are tack stall costs.

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    and that's not including the show costs? entries, stabling, transportation - right? just to make note of the total costs.
    That would not include entries or stabling at the show; add another $600-1k for that. May or may not include transportation—depends on if the trainer ships with their own rig or uses a separate hauler.

Sorry, I just wanted trainer fees. I know how much show fees, hauling, braiding, etc cost. I'm just trying to give them an idea of what they will be getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    That would not include entries or stabling at the show; add another $600-1k for that. May or may not include transportation—depends on if the trainer ships with their own rig or uses a separate hauler.

Trainer fee's are typically $75-$150 per day, sometimes that includes basic daycare, othertimes there is an added cost. Grooms cost more, but many trainers at the lower levels allow friends/riders to groom their own horses. I dont necessarily think its going to cost $1000 just in trainer fees to show rated. Often times if the horse is made, it doesnt need to stable for the entire week.

I dont understand what kind of trainer would charge a student a "couple hundred" when the student hauls in for the day to show... thats a bit rediculous. I get charged less than the "day fee" as my horse hangs out on the trailer and we are just getting coaching time.

I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but I want to check to see if the following fees are in line for good, experienced, certified trainers with decades of experience in the rated shows (I expect they are, but I could be wrong):

Multi-day, overnight shows: $150 per day per horse + share of expenses, includes coaching and any warm-up rides, etc.

Local ship-in shows: $75 per day per horse as the show is usually only part day.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

~ Loving mom of the world's biggest puppy, my draft-X Sirius Black

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I dont understand what kind of trainer would charge a student a "couple hundred" when the student hauls in for the day to show... thats a bit rediculous. I get charged less than the "day fee" as my horse hangs out on the trailer and we are just getting coaching time.
    I'm sorry, I think you misinterpreted me. I meant a couple hundred for coaching and hauling for a single-day show, not the student hauling themselves. I think that's more than fair, given that any trainer would likely be making MORE money by staying home and teaching lessons.

Sammicat, I think those rates are very fair and in-line with the area.

Splits for hotel and food and perhaps more for the trainer and possibly any help they send. That adds up.
    There is braiding which is usually farmed out, splits for hay, grain, bedding, (unless brought from home), extra stalls (tack room, grooming, feed) set up possibly, day fees which may or may not include rides, shipping, then own entries, stall and groom (if one is used), there could also be charges for supplies that go to the show which would be split among the horses that go, along with the hotel and food splits.

Are you going to recommend a trainer to them? If so why not call that trainer and ask for their price sheet so not only the trainer will know the rider is coming but you can give the parent's real information.

1 members found this post helpful.

I pay:
    $50/day for non-showing day (lesson on the show grounds)
    $65/day for show day (coaching only)
    $65/day for my coach to show my horse (eg in the Hunter Derby)
    $split/Tack room/feed room fees (all students split, I pay for my own stall directly)
    $split/per diem -- all students split coach's food/etc costs
    $split/coach hotel - I try to do "local" A shows so coach is staying at home and commuting.

Then braiding (manes: 65 per day), entry/stabling fees (~$600 for a 3-day A show), and trailering (for me just gas, as I own my own truck and trailer)
    With the above, I can only afford to do 2-4 rated shows a year. I do 1-2 state-level H/J shows a month the rest of the time. sometimes even without a coach. It's definitly a price increase to jump into the rated shows, but it is motivating and inspiring to do some shows with the higher caliber of riders/horses.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Our 'coaching fee' is $70 a day.
    Lessons are usually $70 as well...

2 trainers-one is a BNR's mom, other has a good rep in our area. So neither are really well known, but our barn preforms very well at the A-AA on the West coast.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Are you going to recommend a trainer to them? If so why not call that trainer and ask for their price sheet so not only the trainer will know the rider is coming but you can give the parent's real information.
    There are a couple of different trainers I plan on recommending. But to be honest, I don't really think these people are going anywhere. The Dad has been a pain in my ass since day one. He is always trying to get something more or special for his kid. I don't do that. Ask my own kids, they don't even get treated special except they have to ride all the naughty horses for the paying kids.
    The girl (who I do like) leases one of my horses and it's up at the end of March. I know the dad want me to show more but really the kid who is a nice rider isn't committed enough for me. She rides twice a week. I often have to send her back to the barn because her horse is still dirty. She tries to slip out without cleaning her tack. None of this behavior makes me want to go above and beyond for her. They know that, I've explain to them what I expect from my riders, and horsemanship is 1st on the list.
    I would actually not mind seeing them go, but as soon as they see how much money is involved they are going to all of a sudden not want a change. I just want to have everything spelled out for them, before they start contacting other people, because I don't want them wasting other people's time.

Coaching fee is $65/show day for us, at least at the multiday shows...one-day schooling shows I believe we get billed $30? Just because it's less of a time commitment, I think. Then non-show days at the show grounds when we school I think we get billed for a normal lesson ($40).

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    The Dad has been a pain in my ass since day one. He is always trying to get something more or special for his kid. I don't do that.
    She rides twice a week. I often have to send her back to the barn because her horse is still dirty. She tries to slip out without cleaning her tack. None of this behavior makes me want to go above and beyond for her. They know that, I've explain to them what I expect from my riders, and horsemanship is 1st on the list.
    Yikes! Sounds like a crappy situation. I help out with lessons on the weekend and this sort of behavior drives me NUTS, from both the parents and the kids. Kudos for sending her back to groom, sounds like she could use the discipline. I know lots of kids (myself included!) who are "lazier" by nature but with some tough love get their acts together when it comes to horsemanship. I still don't always want to go through the whole process of currying every inch of my horse but if I half-a** it I can still hear my first trainer (who was more breed show/WP oriented) ripping me a new one about my old paint's pee-stained hocks. After a year with her you better believe I learned to overcome my lazy side re: grooming.

I typically show 2 days at the week long rated shows. My trainer does not ride and I will sometimes get a lesson on one of the week days. We only take 5-8 horses to most shows and so there is only 1 groom. I do my own "daycare". I pay trailering separately from my trainers expenses. At the local rated shows my trainer does not typically charge a "per diem" ($30/day for food for her and 1 groom). At farther away shows there is hotel split, per diem, gas + small "wear and tear on vehicle" charge.

For week long show:
    - Coaching Day 1 $70
    - Coaching Day 2 $70
    - Lesson $50
    - per diem (total/# horses) ~$40
    - Hotel (total/# horses) ~$80
    - Mileage (for a show ~4 hours away; total/# horses) ~$60
    TOTAL: $370 (hopefully I did math right )
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

I am now missing an arm and a leg...

Does that answer help?
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

1 members found this post helpful.