The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a little bit of input! New dog maybe?

My boyfriend and I are looking into getting a very sweet Akita/Blue Heeler mix (at least that is what the shelter says he is) he is a little over three years old and what they guess around 65 lbs. He's incredibly sweet, super calm when you're not in the mood to play but still really playful.
    As soon as I brought him out of his cage area he gave me a hug, an actual dog hug. Needless to say my heart melted.
    I have done a ridiculous amount of reading up on both of these breeds because I have two dachshunds and because they are small, all considerations of a larger breed dog has to fit a certain criteria so that my doxies don't get injured. A lot of the standard AKC information says that both of these breeds don't do well with other dogs or small dogs or dogs of the same breed, AND YET I have seen and read a pretty large amount of people gushing about their Akita's or Heelers who love their tiny doggy companions and get along with them really well and play very carefully and so on.
    There is just a lot of conflicting info out there, so COTH I am wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these breeds or the mix living with smaller breed dogs.
    Also, how do they do with horses!

I haven't done a meet and greet with my doxies and him yet and obviously if there is a negative reaction then it won't matter anyways but I'm a planner and I'm not going to get a ton of responses in the next 30 seconds anyways.

SORRY FOR THE NOVEL and thanks for any responses.

My answer would be to keep looking.

There are lots of dogs that would be more appropriate than this one when you have short/long dogs.

I have an ACD, and she lives with 4 other dogs. She's an incredibly smart dog but that does not equal easy. My ACD could .easily. be dog or people aggressive if she lived with someone who allowed her to run and do her own thing. Akitas are noted for their increased incident of dog/dog aggression.

there is no reason to take this dog over one that has less chance of hurting your other dogs.

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree, on paper, that doesn't look like a good match.

Think also that your dogs are from a breed that takes no prisoners, so if they start something, guess who will end up on the short side of the fracas?

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyCharlie View Post
    A lot of the standard AKC information says that both of these breeds don't do well with other dogs or small dogs or dogs of the same breed, AND YET I have seen and read a pretty large amount of people gushing about their Akita's or Heelers who love their tiny doggy companions and get along with them really well and play very carefully and so on.
    Bear in mind that a lot of people lie through their shiny teeth about everything, so their dog who wuvs other dogs actually ate a Westie last week but that didn't really count because the Westie totally started it. Also, pretty much everyone is delusional about their dog, so even if they're not lying they're likely not noticing some things. I say this slightly less judgementally, as I've gotten caught out too. Impossible not to.

I'd totally pass. They might "meet and greet" fine, but their first scuffle could go so bad so fast it's not even funny. I would not put my pets at risk.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Doxies have a very long so therefore weak spine, and are noted for spinal injuries. One playful dog hug from this dog could very easily cause a life ending injury to a Doxie. So could accidentally running one over. Or one box move with the front paw. These are all scenarios of unintentional harm. Imagine one disagreement. Sorry Doxies were there first, not worth the risk.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

On paper it sounds like a bad idea to me. From what I know about Aussies they are hyperactive, high energy & playful dogs who would not mesh well with a smaller breed. I do not know much about Akitas so cannot comment there. Remember, smart in dog speak is like smart in horse speak - it can mean the exact opposite of easy.

Having said that, when I was looking at dogs this weekend my friend (read: voice of reason) kept telling me to "go with my gut." I think that is good advice. At the end of the day you know your dogs and you have met this dog, so only you & your b/f can make the decision.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I have an ACD and went to a local Doxie rescue to adopt a second dog. The rescue rep. wouldn't even make a home visit once she heard about Blue.
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I agree with what everyone has said. It would be very easy for one of your current pups to get hurt. Not worth risking their health and safety. Sorry.

I wouldn't do it. Maybe if the new dog was a puppy but that's a big maybe. Mostly I just wouldn't do it.

Thanks everyone for the input, he is super sweet and incredibly submissive for his breeds (he came from an extreme hoarding situation apparently) but he bonded with me better than my boyfriend and the "big dog" is supposed to be for my boyfriend and he was a bit mouthy and it made me nervous so we passed on him. I really really hope he finds a home soon where he can be an only child, so if any of you guys want a super cute bellyrub loving pup and live in lexington you should go to the humane society!

Thanks again everyone!