The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What the h@#$? Or, are all families crazy? (kinda long)

Brief background here, DH and I moved from Maryland a little over a year ago at DH's grandfathers request that we come stay with him so he doesn't have to move into a nursing home. He's 95 now, and can't live by himself any longer. Other than my MIL, rest of family wanted Grandfather to move to nursing home.

One of Grandfathers other grandkids was in town this week to visit. They told Grandfather on Friday they would be here Sunday for the day, so Grandfather asked if I would cook dinner for everyone. This involves cooking enough food for somewhere around 8 to 10 people. And cleaning the house since other grandson has twin boys who would be crawling around. So I change my weekend plans, and spend all day cleaning and cooking so everyone could have a nice day.

They were supposed to be here in the morning and stay for the day. I plan dinner for 2 which is a traditional dinner time for this family. They finally got here around 12:30. I spend the next hour and a half in the kitchen (which they can see from where they are, house has an open floor plan). At 2pm, I am putting dinner on the table. Literally. When they stood up, grabbed their things, and said they had to go now, the needed to get home by a certain time so they didn't disrupt the boys bedtime, and they had a 5 hour drive. And then they left, leaving the rest of us there gaping at them like idiots.

We all asked them if they were going to stay for dinner, and just kept getting, nope, they can't, have to drive home, etc. I was ticked, not only because I'd spent all day putting together a really nice dinner for everyone, but because Granddad was all kinds of upset about it. If they weren't planning on staying for dinner, they could have at least had the courtesy to say something while they were watching me putter around in the kitchen.

I don't know why I expected anything honestly. This is the same family members that sit there every holiday and watch everyone else do all the work. Or complain about the food. I've never seen them contribute anything to the family meals, not time, food, labor, anything.

I'm kind of thinking this is the last time I EVER lift a finger to do anything for them again. If they want to eat with Grandfather, they can just take him out to dinner. Or they can have what we normally eat, not a fancy roast and fixings like I cooked today.

It was very good too. And I now have a ton of leftovers. Don't have to cook for a few days now....

2 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

So what did you fix? Something with gravy I hope.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

3 members found this post helpful.

What jerks. I wish I could come over to help you with the leftovers () and, more importantly, visit with your grandfather. I bet he has interesting stories to tell about his life. It's a shame your other family members don't seem to value how precious having a family elder can be. I never had any grandparents in my life (3 had passed away and the remaining 1 was estranged from us) and really felt the lack when I was young.

You and hubby obviously care a lot for Grandfather to pick up and move to take care of him. Feel good about that. The rest is small potatoes.

Their loss is your gain, I'm sorry they upset Grandfather though. At 95 he probably has some interesting stories to tell!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

communication gap...you did what you did for gramps..too bad he has selfish grandkids...but they DID drive 5 hrs to visit...or maybe they were on their way to/from somewhere else.

Next time they want to visit perhaps some communication is in order. Take the high road and don't let Gramps feel your disappointment too.

the only normal people are the ones you don't know well....

it was nice of you to do this.
    For Grandpa.
    And while the family is beyond comment, I hope you can find it in your heart to do it again - for Grandpa.

What twits though....driving 5 hours one way for a 2 hour visit?!

i hope the kids barfed all over the car on the way home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

They have been in the city for a week visiting the wifes family. The "took the time" to come see Grandfather today. They were fully aware dinner was being cooked and that it would be a 2pm.

For everyone elses benefit, we had a VERY nice herb crusted pork roast, smashed potatos, corn, veggies, tapioca (family favorite), fruit salad, and rolls. Yummy! My house is clean, anyone is welcome to come visit for leftovers!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows Endure View Post
    They have been in the city for a week visiting the wifes family. The "took the time" to come see Grandfather today. They were fully aware dinner was being cooked and that it would be a 2pm.

For everyone elses benefit, we had a VERY nice herb crusted pork roast, smashed potatos, corn, veggies, tapioca (family favorite), fruit salad, and rolls. Yummy! My house is clean, anyone is welcome to come visit for leftovers!
    on my way.
    can I bring the wine?
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Wine is always appreciated. We like the sweet ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrows Endure View Post
    Wine is always appreciated. We like the sweet ones.
    LOL, sweet wine? well, that leaves more of the tart stuff for me

not complaining.

Can I get the recipe for the herb crusted pork roast? I bought two the last time they were BOGO at Giant and they just did not turn out in my crock pot!

Back on topic... that is ridiculous. If they were aware of the plans they should have told you it wouldn't work for them. Sad.

oh, and don't forget to stock up on inappropriate snacks for the kids for next time: Much sugar, lots of food color!
    I hear some green and blue stuff can leave interesting results in the diaper!

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    Can I get the recipe for the herb crusted pork roast?
    I would love the recipe as well!

P.