The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default fasciotomy for hind suspensory inflamation

I have a 5yr old warmblood with two enlarged hind suspensories. We are currently in the process of trying shockwave therapy due to his age and the vet thinks he may recover with just the shockwave treatment. However, this a chance he wont and our next step will be the surgery. Anyone have any experience with this? How successful is it? I have read and heard good things and am hoping with his age that he will eventually turn into the show horse he's suppose to be

See this thread on the Eventing board: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?271451. Lots of information/experiences there.

My horse had this surgery for the same reason back in 2011, on her left hind only (the inflammation was related to conformation/history issues.) Her recovery was long and complicated, probably not typical, but fixing the suspensory did reveal a number of other issues.

Sedatives will be your friend, post-surgery.

She is 95% back to where she was; I don't jump her over anything bigger than a crossrail, but we're fine for our preferred pursuits of low-level dressage and trail riding.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I agree with quietanne. You will probably read more than you'll ever want to know there.
    Taking it day by day!