The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A fun photo study of my mare's BELLY!! - Photo update post #18

She's a maiden mare so I know all bets are off. I'm sleep deprived and fretting so I've been playing with photos:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Day 333 - PH 7.2 Calcium 60-80ppm
    Day 334 - PH 6.6 Calcium 160-180 ppm
    Day 335 - PH 6.6 Calcium 160-180 ppm

I wish things had moved from day 334 to 335!!!
    Last edited by Cassy's Mom; Feb. 26, 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Do you have any udder pics? She still has a ways to go judging from the numbers above. I won't scare you with my prediction of how much longer until I see her udder pics!

Laurierace: here's an udder photo from tonight

Ok, scare away! How long?? The PH really threw me...I thought it would just keep dropping. Her udder definitely has edema and she hates it when I milk the right side but is very comfortable on the left. I can EASILY get 2ccs in 20 seconds or less.

Here's a photo of her diluted milk: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

It doesn't separate after time (though I've never waited more than 10 min) and isn't at all salty. However it's been sweet and slightly sticky for a few days now.

Looking good! Once you see 6.2 you're good - but sometimes it can change in a matter of hours or sometimes it takes days. We have one that drops through the low 6's over a week then stays at 6.2 for 2-3 days. It's maddening! LOL Most will do it more quickly thankfully. It would bet 48-72 hours for you?? Just a pure guess!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Is her udder staying up all the time? Or is it going down during the day?

The udder looks farther along than I would have guessed. My first thought was two-three weeks but maybe not judging from that udder. Hope it progresses nicely for you.

JB it's staying up. If you squint your eyes and turn your head you might be able to argue that it's down a tiny bit in the middle of the day? I took that photo at 8:00pm. She had been turned out all day and came back in around 4:30pm.

I can feel though that the udder is full of a lot of EDEMA which I can squish around. Actually it will go down a little bit after I squish and poke and milk but not too too much.

I'm hoping the CA will give us a clue. 3 nights ago we were checking every 30 min (between myself and my sister) because of the PH drop. 2 nights ago we did the same but only from the hours of 1:00am to 5:00am. Then last night we changed to every hour 1:00am to 5:00am. I'm realizing that she does still probably have another change to show me and I just need to be patient and wait for it.

I'm SO VERY excited for this baby! And I adore this mare and don't want anything to happen to her

How is her tail head? The muscles around it will really soften and become squishy. Also her vulva will relax and almost look gappy when she's really close.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Also, if you think you might ever breed her again, take notes on her signs. With a maiden or a new mare, you tend to lose a fair amount of sleep, but if you take notes of what she did the last 24-48 hrs. then next time, you won't lose so much sleep!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Cyriz's Mom - it's super soft. But the trouble with these subjective parts is I never know how much MORE they can change. Around day 300 I thought it would be impossible for the muscles around her tail head to become any softer. But they have...and now the muscles / hamstrings that run down the backs of her legs are crazy soft which I didn't expect. She'll let ME do anything with her tail but she'll resist when others touch it. Her vulva is "relaxed" but I suspect it could do more? It's gappy but only at the bottom and it's still pretty pink inside though she has a lot of colors inside there that my last mare didn't have Some darker pigmenting that has always been there but always throws me off. Things are swollen so she has little creases around the outside border pressing it up against the insides of her hind legs but it's been THAT way for a good 5-7 days.

All these subjective things are why I like the milk testing so much But our last mare didn't drop below 6 until she was READY (she went 2 days after heading into the 6 range) but her calcium followed step in step with the PH. This mare is playing with her PH but not her calcium. Also with our last mare we could get milk around 320 so we had a lot longer to fuss. This mare wouldn't give me more than half a drop until day 333? So I felt like I was behind on the curve and got panicked when I saw it go into the 6 range!

We'll see what today brings

FWIW, my mare's vulva never did gape or look terribly elongated the day she foaled. Now, it might have in the hour or 2 before, but I wasn't checking then LOL

if it's staying up, she's close, but it could still be a week or two, or maybe a day or two LOL

if it's staying up, she's close, but it could still be a week or two, or maybe a day or two LOL
    Blargh. Remind me why this is fun again? I know I'll have my own reminder before too long!!

We have a little movement tonight. Day 336 we have definite wax on her teats, and PH at 6.4. Calcium is moving as well...180-200ppm.

Udder: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

PH: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Diluted milk: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

How exciting, getting MUCH closer!! Look forward to the pictures!!

Much more foal-friendly nipples!

I don't want to jinx you, but she does seem to be progressing on schedule. This from a person whose mare was a 6.2 or below for over 80 hours...

Well no baby last night. So much for my full-moon hopes!

Today I'm going to take another belly shot and compare it to the one I took a few days ago. It's so fascinating to me to watch the changes!

A new photo compare: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I think it's moved back?

Day 337 - PH solid 6.4

Udder - was dripping milk at 12:30 but cleared up to what you see here by 4:00: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Undiluted milk - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Ca is at a solid 200ppm
    Soon...very very soon.

I'm going to guess you've still got another day or two, but your close. Perhaps tomorrow night?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

1 members found this post helpful.

I think those last pics show real progress and are getting super close.... Hopefully you have a baby!!