The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmets for those susceptible to bubble-head syndrome?

I am suffering from a bit of a helmet problem. This year I'm hoping to step up and go to some bigger shows, and my GR8, while it was the most acceptable of the choices, gives me wicked bubble head.

I had high hopes for the OneK, but alas, even worse bubble head.

I am not really up for $600 for a GPA, but the speed air DID look nice.

Is there anything that is commonly seen at the A shows, that is not $600 and won't give someone with a small head bubble head?

I wear a size 6 3/4 or 6 7/8, or a 56 in a GPA. Very petite and helmets tend to just look huge on me. I school in an ovation z8 with the carbon fiber sides, but I presume I'd get laughed out of the ring if I wore that?

I know some people think the skunk stripe makes helmets look smaller, but they are kind of going out of style around here
    IRH elite EQ is seen at some shows (but its not super popular) and might look nice on you?
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

It will first need to fit you well to avoid bubble head. I would work with a tack shop to figure out if you have a round or oval head and pick the right helmet from there.

I have an AYR8 and love it. It's lower-profile than my old GPA (Textium?). The GPA gave me mushroom head because it didn't fit right. The Titium didn't work for me bc it was too round.

You should be able to find a GPA, CO,IRH, or other brand that will work for you.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

How about a CO Hampton?
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Had a hampton, and it was better, but those are super uncommon and while I know it's petty, I'd like to avoid being branded as out of the loop.

I might just spring for the speed air. It looked at least 2" less wide than the GR8 and OneK on my head.

Samshield? I find they are a little less bubbly than the speed airs...but maybe thats just me.

I am going to give the Elite EQ a shot. If that's hideous I am going to suck it up and buy a speed air.

If you think a Speed Air is better looking than a Hampton, then by all means spend your money on it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

GR8 gave me major bubble head, but my AYR8 looks great. It has a much smaller profile. Also, I didn't realize my helmet wasn't fitting until I got the AYR8. My GR8 game me headaches, but I can wear the AYR8 all day without even thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Try out a samshield. I love the look of them.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I'd also say try out a samshield. I generally have a bubble head and these look by far the best on my with the speed airs coming in second.

Samshield and onek are the same shell so I don't know if that would work...

Another CO model might work. My trainer is very small with a tiny head and the model that has the mesh looks really good on her.

Maybe also check out KEP if you can find it to try on first?

I also have a very small head - 6 5/8 in my CO GR8. The lowest profile helmet I've ever tried on was the Ovation (the "Schooler" model, and also the Z-6). It was very flattering. I would probably show in either, but I show hunters and not on the A circuit. Honestly I wouldn't have a problem with the Z-8 you have either, but then again I don't particularly care if people want to laugh about my helmet. The Z-8 certainly isn't any worse than the Speed Air or any of the other modern-looking bug helmets.

I have two helmets that I show in - the CO GR8 and the CO Hampton. I did try on the AYR8 and the JR8, either of which would be suitable when I need to replace one. All of those models are pretty low-profile, and I'm sure as ako said it's because they fit me well so they sit down on my head properly.

I don't fit the GPA, Samshield, or One K helmets.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

I get headaches easy from the slightest pressure points so gave up and got a Uvex ajustable helmet (http://www.uvex-sports.de/en/equestr...ducts/?pNavi=6) . I believe mine is the Perfexxion active. I normally wear a 6 7/8. This helmet is low profile, supper light, doens't fall over my eyes, and can be ajusted. It has EU safety standards and should be legal at FEI events but you would need to check that out. I live in Canada and it cost me about $350 with shipping and customs.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    Had a hampton, and it was better, but those are super uncommon and while I know it's petty, I'd like to avoid being branded as out of the loop.
    By whom, exactly?

What judge would be looking at your head?

Get something that fits, which it sounds like you already have.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Samshield and onek are the same shell so I don't know if that would work...

[...]

Maybe also check out KEP if you can find it to try on first?
    Yep, I love my Samshield but I wouldn't recommend it for someone who's already tried (and disliked) a One K.

As an aside, I've yet to see the KEP look good on anyone. Just a fug helmet all around, IMO.