The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another saddle thread - Can't get out of my jump saddle on my x-wide horse

I'm sorry to start yet another saddle thread, but opinions are needed!

I have an x-wide haffie, and I'm having a hard time finding a jump saddle that fits the both of us that I can get out of, and off his back when jumping. Currently I have a (beautiful) Black Country Quantum X. I love this saddle, but I feel very much wrapped around him and cannot seem to get off of his back when jumping no matter how short my sturrips.

Now, I have a Black Country Equinox that I tell everyone is a dressage saddle that fits the both of us much better, but the Quantum X just isn't working for us.

My trainer has a older Butet that she put me in the other day to get the feeling of being able to get out of the saddle when jumping. It really was remarkable. I didn't feel like I was working against my saddle and it was really easy to get off his back.

So, any suggestions for an x-wide guy on a saddle that might work for us? My trainer suggested trying a mono-flap like the Equinox. I loved the feeling of the Butet for me (I don't think it's the best fit for him).

Help!

100% recommend the County Innovation.

I have a XW one (which runs probably like a generous XXW on other saddles) for my hippo of a Morgan. LOVE the saddle for jumping!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHoppingHaffy View Post
    I'm sorry to start yet another saddle thread, but opinions are needed!

I have an x-wide haffie, and I'm having a hard time finding a jump saddle that fits the both of us that I can get out of, and off his back when jumping. Currently I have a (beautiful) Black Country Quantum X. I love this saddle, but I feel very much wrapped around him and cannot seem to get off of his back when jumping no matter how short my sturrips.

Now, I have a Black Country Equinox that I tell everyone is a dressage saddle that fits the both of us much better, but the Quantum X just isn't working for us.

My trainer has a older Butet that she put me in the other day to get the feeling of being able to get out of the saddle when jumping. It really was remarkable. I didn't feel like I was working against my saddle and it was really easy to get off his back.

So, any suggestions for an x-wide guy on a saddle that might work for us? My trainer suggested trying a mono-flap like the Equinox. I loved the feeling of the Butet for me (I don't think it's the best fit for him).

Help!
    You might also try a Thorn hill LeMonde2 monoflap which has a nice flat seat.

If your horse needs a hoop tree, I'd bet the Butet wasn't a great fit for him. Have you had your Quantum X checked by a fitter? If the balance is off and it needs adjusting, it could make it tough to get out of the saddle. That would be my first recommendation.

The next would be to investigate other saddles. Since the hoop trees are designed to "sit down" on the broad-backed horses, they do have a different feel (and very different fit) from a standard tree ... so that may be part of the issue. But checking into other saddles that offer hoop (or hoop-type) trees would be a very good idea. Albions offer generous tree widths (and can be had on a hoop tree), Loxley's jump saddle can be make on a hoop tree, and Duetts are good for the wide backs (they even have a new monoflap jump saddle available). Whichever route you go, I strongly recommend working with a good fitter who has experience fitting the table-backed horse.

you didn't tell us WHY you are feeling this way.

What is different about the saddles?
    Does your's have a deeper seat than your trainer's?

I have to ride in flat seat saddles otherwise I can't get out of them.
    I had a Stubben Genesis for Toby in an XW. Even that seat was too deep but it worked--considering I couldn't find anything for reasonable $$ that was wide enough for him. It fit him GREAT!

Check the Stubben site for the used saddles. They usually have new saddles for awesome prices....
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

If your horse has changed condition or the fit is a bit pommel high it could be that you now feel behind the motion or you could be in a bit more of a chair position which would make it harder to get out of the saddle, as you say. Photos are helpful in determining that as well as a fitter. If it is indeed a situation where your horse has muscled up more, it is possible to have the tree widened by a qualified person or for the short term, try a correction pad with a shim in the back to see if that helps.

Hi all thanks for the suggestions. I'm on my iPad bear with me on my responses....
    Kitt, I am working with a saddle fitter who thinks the saddle works for both him and me. She's never seen me jump in it. I should have her out to watch a jump school now that you've said it.
    Purps, the biggest difference between the butet, which I agree is not the best tree for him, is the bc feels wide under him, and I feel very wrapped around him. The butet feels on top of him with my leg position right under me. Both saddles are flat, but with the bc, um well, I'm more spread out :/. (if that makes sense?)
    I'll try to dig up some jumping pictures so you guys can see. He's gotten leaner in the last few months, and we're using a mattes pad to correct (with saddle fitters blessing).
    I'll see if I can't try someone's county, stubben or thornhill to see how those feel.
    Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHoppingHaffy View Post
    Hi all thanks for the suggestions. I'm on my iPad bear with me on my responses....
    Kitt, I am working with a saddle fitter who thinks the saddle works for both him and me. She's never seen me jump in it. I should have her out to watch a jump school now that you've said it.
    Purps, the biggest difference between the butet, which I agree is not the best tree for him, is the bc feels wide under him, and I feel very wrapped around him. The butet feels on top of him with my leg position right under me. Both saddles are flat, but with the bc, um well, I'm more spread out :/. (if that makes sense?)
    I'll try to dig up some jumping pictures so you guys can see. He's gotten leaner in the last few months, and we're using a mattes pad to correct (with saddle fitters blessing).
    I'll see if I can't try someone's county, stubben or thornhill to see how those feel.
    Thanks everyone
    There is a Thornhill dealer on ebay who will send you a demo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Thornhil...item56502dd692

For my wide guy I bought a County Stabilizer and we both really like it. It is flat and he is wide like a truck.

so that means you want a tree with a narrow twist.
    Also, long billets might help you as well. It takes all the girth and buckles out from under your leg so that you are closer to the horse.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    so that means you want a tree with a narrow twist.
    Also, long billets might help you as well. It takes all the girth and buckles out from under your leg so that you are closer to the horse.

Is it possible to get a saddle with a narrow twist to even fit an x-wide haffie?

Trying to get a narrow twist on a hoop (or really wide standard) tree is a problem, since the rails of the tree - the part that makes the twist - are at the same angle as the tree point, so the wider the tree, the wider the twist. Add the extra breadth across the pommel arch on a hoop tree and you have extra breadth between the rails ... so the twist is even wider. I suppose it might be possible to make a really wide/hoop synthetic tree with a narrower twist, but I've not run into any.