The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am definitely affected by "Hoarders". I swear I do my best cleaning after watching that show!

We're in the process of getting the house ready to sell and have done some major cleaning out. Hubby's always saying to set stuff aside that I'm no sure he'll want to keep. I just nod and pitch the crap in the trash. If he hasn't touched it in several years, he certainly isn't going to notice that it's gone.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

1 members found this post helpful.

I indulged myself in a set of really good pots and pans last week. They should be arriving next week sometime. To get ready for their arrival, I am cleaning out the kitchen cupboards.

As I have said, probably to boredom, many times before, I live in a three generation home. I have pots, pans, bowls and general kitchenware that belonged not only to my Mother, but to my Grandmother. A lot of that is going. It has history, but, really, only to me and I'm sure I'll get over it. Heck, I'm finding stuff stuck in the back of the cupboards that I didn't even know I had, like a glass double boiler. Where did that come from, and why, I wonder? Both the garbageman and Goodwill are getting a bonanza, as a result.

I love what I'm seeing because of this. I can actually find things in the cupboards I have cleaned, plus I have an empty cupboard where the new pots and pans will go. The only thing left is the corner cupboard. You know, the kind that you have to crawl into on your hands and knees to get to the back of. Not looking forward to that, or, at least my knees aren't. I wonder what I'll find?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori T View Post
    I have my "collections"...fine horse china and my books.
    Then I inherited my mom's collections...she was the definition of a collector/hoarder out of control....cobolt blue glass, Barbies (in boxes), material for her quilts, Hummels, Royal Dolton, etc. When she died, I took some of the cobolt blue, hummels, Royal Doltons, and antiques.
    Now that's worthy of a spin-off right there.

I value what I collect (horse stuff) but I have *never* understood the boxed toys, cheezie figurines and such. Maybe someone can explain.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    I am definitely affected by "Hoarders". I swear I do my best cleaning after watching that show!

We're in the process of getting the house ready to sell and have done some major cleaning out. Hubby's always saying to set stuff aside that I'm no sure he'll want to keep. I just nod and pitch the crap in the trash. If he hasn't touched it in several years, he certainly isn't going to notice that it's gone.
    Ain't that the truth!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I indulged myself in a set of really good pots and pans last week. They should be arriving next week sometime. To get ready for their arrival, I am cleaning out the kitchen cupboards.

As I have said, probably to boredom, many times before, I live in a three generation home. I have pots, pans, bowls and general kitchenware that belonged not only to my Mother, but to my Grandmother. A lot of that is going. It has history, but, really, only to me and I'm sure I'll get over it. Heck, I'm finding stuff stuck in the back of the cupboards that I didn't even know I had, like a glass double boiler. Where did that come from, and why, I wonder? Both the garbageman and Goodwill are getting a bonanza, as a result.

I love what I'm seeing because of this. I can actually find things in the cupboards I have cleaned, plus I have an empty cupboard where the new pots and pans will go. The only thing left is the corner cupboard. You know, the kind that you have to crawl into on your hands and knees to get to the back of. Not looking forward to that, or, at least my knees aren't. I wonder what I'll find?
    See but that is really cool Louise. I would kill to have some really old bowls etc from my Grandmothers era!
    I wish I lived near you, I would have liked to see what you gave to the trash man! LOL
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I'm a slob, but I don't like clutter. So my house has dirt, dust, dust bunnies the size of elephants, but minimal stuff. I never thought of bulimia as the behavior, but yes, I will chuck stuff! When I built I wanted a tiny house with no basement because I was sure at some point I'd even stop taking things down to the basement and just chuck them down the stairs. Now if something comes in something has to go.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Enough about the purging phase of clutter, what about the binging phase? If you just decluttered, how do you feel the next time you buy something?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    See but that is really cool Louise. I would kill to have some really old bowls etc from my Grandmothers era!
    I wish I lived near you, I would have liked to see what you gave to the trash man! LOL
    I know, lol. I saved a couple of bowls that I remember both my Mother and my Grandmother using. I just couldn't throw them out, even though they have no real value. They're chipped and stained from long use, and, truthfully, I'd be afraid to use them for fear of lead, or some other kind of contamination. But, I certainly didn't need the other bowls, the four excess muffin pans (saved one) the seven loaf pans (saved two) and the four cookie sheets(saved three, one small, and two large.)

The brutal fact of the matter is that I'm single and have always been, so no kids, and the cousins are just not interested in the stuff. So, it's going to go eventually, and it might as well be now.

For some odd reason, it's my Father's and Grandfather's tools that I just cannot bring myself to get rid of. And, who else but me would ever want a hand plow that is missing a tine?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I don't feel any kind of rush when I buy stuff anymore. When I was younger, purchasing things was euphoric -as evidenced by my huge credit card bills. Then I began to see some things:

1. I'd have the high and then nothing. Back to my unhappy/dissatisfied/discontented self. So I'd start off to the store, but get to the "after" before I made the purchase.

2. I realized how much control the vendors were exerting over me. The shop people that were REALLY HAPPY TO SEE ME, the ads that convinced me I couldn't live without their stuff, etc. started to look so cynical. I saw through their eyes that I was just a hungry fish to be caught on a baited hook. That was kind of pathetic and it pissed me off.

Solution:
    I saw a therapist, learned to pursue the things that made me happy, really embraced the Quaker testimony for simplicity, and finally got laid off and was forced to look at my income to see whether I could survive.

I still buy things, but they are honest things. My horse needs a saddle that fits. My dog needs an NSAID. The huge difference is that post credit-card debt (still have it, still working through it) I use cash now. So a $900 saddle is $900 real dollars, not magic money. It came out of somewhere and left a hole.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

After watching a Horaders show or one about decluttering, I sometimes start thinking that I need to get rid of stuff!
    And I do get rid of some. But as I consider getting rid of my teapot collection or some knick-knacks I have to stop and think. I like a good bit of my stuff. If it still gives me pleasure to look at it every so often or to brew a cuppa tea in a cute teapot, I think it needs to stay. For a while, after cleaning out grandmothers and then parents home, I wanted to ruthlessly get rid of all non-essentials. Then I realized that I shouldnt maintain my house to make it easier for the estate cleaners. I can have some clutter!

My biggest issue has become the old furniture that was given to me 20 years ago or that I assembled that long ago. It has been replaced by better stuff and now sits in my basement. Much of it I can't move due to back issues. Eventually I will have the Salvation Army truck come.

PS. What is sad is when you finally decide to part with clothes or furniture. Then you realize it is in such bad shape you can't even donate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fessy's Mom View Post
    Hoarders has the opposite effect on me. I watch it and think things aren't so bad around here after all.

2 members found this post helpful.