The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tax season is the only time that working a crappy retail job with lots of student loans actually pays off. I'm getting $500 back and I still haven't figured out how to treat myself but I'm going to get myself something nice for once and not just use it to pay bills.

I got $1 back, which is about as it should be. If you are getting a huge refund, you should adjust your withholdings. Then you can have that money throughout the year as you should. Otherwise you're just letting the government borrow YOUR money interest-free.

2 members found this post helpful.

I put mine in savings toward a new car.

Toward the many members touting the virtues of not getting a return... I understand the concept that you should only withhold the minimum, tax free loan to govt, etc etc. I'm an accountant, I work at a CPA firm with free access to wealth management services, I get it. But given that my return would have yielded me approximately $8 in interest in my savings account, and this method equals forced savings that I don't have to think about... I prefer getting a nice return.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, i usually get just enough back from the fed to pay off the state. But last year i farted around with a roth 401k so my pre- and post-tax withholdings were out of whack. I should probably rebalance soon...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

I owe $1292 & a $15(?) underpayment penalty.

Thanks for reminding me that taxes are due in 2 weeks. The month of March was hell at work and I've lost track of nearly everything. I would have let the date slide right by.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

Well we didn't get much back this year.....so a new bed for DD and a bunch of new tack for her new pony......a never ending black hole......I just lob money at it and hope for the best

I'll owe a little over 1K. I'd rather owe them anyway. I can earn interest on my money all yr and we all know that the govt sure can't handle what they have.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I ended up needing to report more income from sources that I hadn't had to report last year, so I thought I'd owe a couple hundred. Instead I get $50 back. I'll take it.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Years ago I used a tax refund to purchase a custom Passier saddle. Got really lucky that year. The German Mark went down while the US Dollar went up and I paid about $500 for a saddle others paid about $1000 for before and after me. Will keep that saddle forever.
    Have since modified withholding so I have better control of my money.

Anyhow it is your money, use it wisely. . . And new field boots is very wise
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Mine (just a couple hundred dollars since I'm still in college) is going towards a new saddle! Between that, babysitting money from the past few days, and what I'll hopefully get when I sell my current saddle, I almost have enough!

This is the first time (due to life changes) and last time (because I am now an IC) that I will ever get one. It is a decent chunk of change (relatively speaking) and couldn't have come at a better time. My guy got ankle and hock injections for the first time in his entire life and DD's pony got kissing spine, lumbar and SI injections. And, poof, the refund was gone!