The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much time do you spend/waste on COTH?

My answer - a lot, probably at least 2-3 hours a day.

Some is legitimate, researching something or looking for opinions, but most is for entertainment.

I went to the barn at 8am and finished at 10am, thinking I would be soooooo productive and get things done around the house today.

Yeah, not so much.

I think I've whiled away a solid four hours reading about things like braided tails in dressage, bee-stung show hunters, and irresponsible breeders of lethal whites. I mixed in studying videos of what will hopefully be my next horse and reading her registry's BOD meeting minutes. Not 100% unproductive, I suppose, but just about.

No judgment, just wondering if others get equally sucked in by the COTH siren song.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes! Especially when I have things to do that I'd rather not. Lately I've been pretty good (half an hour a day) but I can get totally lost and spend a good 2 -3 hours on it.

I adore COTH but sitting at a computer for hours is not how I want to spend my time . . . I'm toying with the idea of finding one of those apps (or whatever they are) that shut off the internet at pre-set times.

Ugh. I check in daily but OT Day interrupts my study time (as in right now I should be studying). Wayyyy too much. Then when show season hits I get bad again LOL!!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I adore COTH but sitting at a computer for hours is not how I want to spend my time . . . I'm toying with the idea of finding one of those apps (or whatever they are) that shut off the internet at pre-set times.
    Many routers have that function in their configuration settings.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I'm on it when there are things for me to do that I don't want to, such as cleaning my house.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

2 members found this post helpful.

I probably check in at least 3x/day, and mostly read, maybe 10-20 min/session, sometimes longer if there's an intriguing topic . I dont post much on horse stuff since I'm horseless since '09 and will probably remain so, and for the most part I leave the answers to the folks currently owning/riding. I post mostly when its fun or I think I have something I've gotta say

I am amazed at how much time some COTHers must spend here, given the amount of posts. I post mainly on OT days, Dressage and Menagerie, but find good stuff all over the forum to peruse

Too damn much.
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Quite a bit. I always have a multitude of tabs open, one of them being COTH, that I click through and refresh. I like reading what is posted and what people have to say (good or bad), and it's nice to have somewhere to talk about horses.

Well, i dunno about all y'all, but i learn a lot reading this board. (Thanks to the plantar fascitis folks--very helpful advice -wiggles toes at phone- )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Way too much but my excuse is that it's 18 degrees out!!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Well alot now due to poor health ,due to stupid winter and cold. But once it warms up enough for outdoor playtime, I am sure it will be less.

I have thought of starting this very thread.
    Answer: too dang much!!!

I def learn a lot and like getting the "news". I have never felt so up on everything horse, especially in areas outside my discipline. I do want to know everything, so its a good place to spend time

I don't watch TV or movies (some series on line), so this is my entertainment. It has cut into my reading time, which is just dumb on my part.

I check in a lot at school during downtime btn classes or when my brain is fried & needs a break.

too much.
    and it is not even as active as it once used to be....

Ah, sheesh, thank you for reminding me....

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I rarely post, but I am often perusing COTH in the evenings while eating dinner and watching TV. Probably browse about 1-2 hours a night, but only post occasionally. Considering I spend my entire day surrounded by horses, you'd think I'd want a break, but apparently not!

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    I am amazed at how much time some COTHers must spend here, given the amount of posts.
    I often wonder about all their equine expertise if they're on the computer all day posting .....

It's 1AM, I need to be up at 7AM to go take a test, and I'm posting on this thread instead of studying. Does that answer the question?

Maybe a couple of hours a day, most days.

I don't think of it as wasting time; it's either research or entertainment--usually starts out being one and segues to the other.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

too much. Especially since I have a thesis due in about a week and tests/assignments coming up. It's become my escape/de-stress space.

Not as much as I waste on Facebook, at least according to my Google Chrome "most visited sites" page. Is it bad that my work site is consistently 3d?
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"