The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Heated/indoor pools- tell me about them?

This is sort of a spin off from the luxury thread. I think I'd like a pool, but I know very little about actually living with them. I have a building that I think would work- it's a brick built barn that I use to store my hay.

If I ever did build one, it would have to be indoor, and heated. Does anyone have an indoor pool? Tell me the good, bad and ugly?

Thanks!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

When I was growing up several friends of my family had indoor heated pools.

One was part of the house - entering from the end of the hall way. They had a HUGE glass sliding door to the backyard they would open in the summer time.
    It was fantastic.

Another friend had a pool in their basement with a wet bar and a sauna next to it. And the pool had a small waterfall coming off the wall.

And then there were some friends who built a "dome" over an in-ground heated pool they could remove during the summer. We had lots of fun in that one in the winter time, wading through snow in our bikinis under a heavy winter coat.

Maintenance was as in any pool. But the heater was the expensive part not just in electric bills but also in repairs.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I'd love to get one of the endless pools (I think that is what they are called). It's the small above ground, enclosed pools that have a motor to create current and you swim against it. My backyard is tiny, but one of those would easily fit.
    Last edited by Gestalt; Mar. 29, 2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Stoopid spell kheck!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Visit one first to get a feel for the cloying humidity and chlorine smell. If that passes muster with you, all else will be just as fine as you imagine.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat