The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best way to keep those low riders clean

Seems like everytime I bring my Merlin out even just for potty time, he gets extremely dirty all over his belly.

It might be a mix of the dirt in the grass and how rainy out it's been lately, but does a corgi belly guard or easy cleaning method exist for this? His legs get totally gross and I'm not sure of that thing that you stick their legs in to clean it is worth investing in or what it's called because I saw it once and can never remember what it is.

This was him yesterday after running around the park near my house a little bit - http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...18188258_n.jpg it's a little extreme, but the way his paws and belly are, is basically what I'm dealing with on a constant basis.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

The easiest way I found to clean them off was to have a litter pan with a dish towel in the bottom and about 2 inches of water in it. Have them walk through that and onto a towel in front.

I don't have nearly the amount of trouble now, as I put up a 12x8 chain link fence that I added bedding pellets to. Totally eliminated the mess that comes with rain and mud.

I towel dry my low-riders, usually effective enough, but I'm not a white carpet kind of person. If it's really bad, I use grooming wipes too. Your Merlin is super cute, what an expression!

I have two "low riders" too who are getting disgusting:
    https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...16081304_n.jpg
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...85067533_n.jpg

Luckily the tan one has a coat more like a lab, so I can just towel him off pretty well or brush him with a hard brush. My Cav goes in the utility sink and gets rinsed with warm water. He's too fluffy to towel off.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Aww, cute little man you got there.

Will he tolerate a blanket/sweater? Or even a towel cut to fit with velcro to keep it on? You might be able to minimize the mess to his legs if you can cover his belly up. Then you could follow threedogpack's suggestion for getting his legs clean.

No sympathy from me! Try having an 85lb black shepherd when the mulch on his running track needs replacing. His entire "undercarriage" is coated in mud and because he's black, I sometimes don't notice until is jumped on the bed.

1 members found this post helpful.

This is our every day unless the ground is frozen:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...31441686_n.jpg

The best solution (in my opinion) is to train them to hop in the tub willingly and stand quietly. I rinse my guys twice a day during "mud" season, and I can do the job in about 5 minutes total.

A sweater might help if you don't mind having to wash it a lot; or get a six-pack of sweaters and just toss them into the wash once a week?

You can buy chest protectors, skid plates, and tummy savers from gun dog supply places, they might also help but won't keep the legs clean, and they are much more expensive than just dog t-shirts that might also do the job...but if your dog is a rugged kind of dog, he might like it better.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/skid-plate-oreange.html
    http://www.gundogsupply.com/tusareve.html

We have three corgi "low-riders", and face the same problem. We ceramic tiled the area around the door coming in from the deck, and keep heavy towels there. We just wipe them off each time they come in, much to their chagrin. It is further complicated in that our oldest boy, Gumby, has DM, and has no use of his back legs. So we have to use a sling with him, and he gets really a mess. Bathing is very stressful for him in our tub at this point, so we just towel clean him the best we can.

Have to add - boarded them at our vet's kennel last weekend while we were volunteering at Paradise in Aiken - had asked them to do their nails, and of course, they did. All three came home smelling sweet and clean, so we knew that they had all had baths. They must have thought they all needed a good cleaning!!!
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

No one's mentioned clippers. Dun dun dunnnnnnn. Trace clip?! =)

My short-haired low rider (prob Dox mix) is easy to clean as his coat is not as dense as a Corgi's. His feet grow a little hair under the paw pads. Shaving the paws will reduce muddy tracks. LIGHTLY shaving legs and under belly will reduce your clean up.

If you have space to let him dry, day in and day out I prefer brushing the dry stuff off vs. bathing. Litter pan of water was a mess. Now I have a red carpet runway err towel.

For the poster with the Cav, I know shaving feet is a big no-no. Makes my Pap-owning self twitch.