The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Buying used Monacos?

So, a friend of a friend is selling her monacos, in my size, used for a little over 1/4 of the regular price. I've seen pictures, they have regular wear around the ankle (crease) but no holes, and the inside panel doesn't appear to be worn to great extent.

I would probably be riding in these 1-2 times a week. (1 show occasionally, and one lesson a week.) I understand that they're fragile, and am perfectly fine with oiling and/or cleaning them every time after I ride

My only concern is... I've heard so many bad things about Ariats, but also a lot of good from friends etc. my question is, will they hold up for this wear? Especially after already been used? I'm a student and spending $300 on something is a lot for me.

Mine have endured 3 full show seasons (just summer...about 14 shows) and weekly lessons (and sometimes daily riding on 2+ horses). No issues whatsoever.

I dont find them to be more fragile than any other soft leather boot.

I have a pair of Ariat Challenge (the old ones...10 years old or so) that are thick leather and they are hardy! Just today part of the zipper broke, but after 10 years of regular use I cant complain...its still functional, just the tab broke off so I replaced it with binder twine I ride in these as "daily" boots, and save the monoco's for summer riding and showing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Mine have endured 3 full show seasons (just summer...about 14 shows) and weekly lessons (and sometimes daily riding on 2+ horses). No issues whatsoever.

I have a pair of Ariat Challenge (the old ones...10 years old or so) that are thick leather and they are hardy! Just today part of the zipper broke, but after 10 years of regular use I cant complain...its still functional, just the tab broke off so I replaced it with binder twine I ride in these as "daily" boots, and save the monoco's for summer riding and showing.

Oh thats great to here... I've been a bit worried! I do have Ariat Paddock boots & Half Chaps that I ride in and abuse regularly So these would be used for shows, Clinics, and maybe the occasional lesson

I bought my pair used for under $300 and this is what happened in 6 months of riding around 6-10 horses a week...

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=c7z0h&s=6

If you're riding one horse, twice a week, they should be ok for awhile. I love mine so much that I'm just going to keep getting them patched until I can't anymore! I would go for it! They're lovely boots, just not meant for daily riding.

Nothing but negative experiences. If you need a boot that looks pretty but doesn't last long, go for it. If you're looking for pretty but sturdy, don't go for it.

Don't do it, I bought my first pair used for 160 bucks off ebay, they lasted three months before the stitching came undone on the calf and the zipper broke. And that was riding maybe 1-2 times per week.

Oh man, I just found another full forum of bad views...

I think I've decided against it. Looks like ill be saving for Deniros.

I wonder why some seem to last, while others dont? I seriously dont take great care of mine, and after 3 years they are still in perfect shape??

1 members found this post helpful.

The stitching came out on mine after three rides, but it was a $12 fix.

Even with all the downsides, they are still exceptionally comfortable and I love the inner calf grippy leather.
    300 is too much for a used pair, you can get them cheaper on ebAy, then just figure you might have to repair them.

Keep an eye out on eBay for older Ariats, Vogels, and Effinghams. There are always great used tall boots to be found, it just depends on how weird your sizing needs are, lol. I just got a pair of older (made in Italy) Crown Pros barely used for $150.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I wonder why some seem to last, while others dont? I seriously dont take great care of mine, and after 3 years they are still in perfect shape??
    I'm with you SquishTheBunny. My Monacos are 3 years old and still look brand new. I did have to have the zippers replaced after the first year, but they were the original Monacos that had the equivalent of a dress zipper (super, super flimsy). Ariat replaced them for free and they've been great ever since. To be fair, I only wear them for shows and clinics, but they get a decent amount of wear-time through the summer, spring, and fall. And I don't take great care of them. I usually slather on some URAD (bad, bad boot owner!) and go. I had a shoe shine guy clean and shine my boots at the last show of the year and he lectured me for the full 20+ minutes it took to get the product off of my boot and actual good-for-leather-stuff put back on.

I guess I would say that if you're one who tends to wear "through" half chaps or boots then they would be a poor choice. I haven't ever had an issue with anything wearing through the calf, so maybe that's why mind have lasted?

Either way I love the boots so much that I'd be back to searching ebay for another pair if mine died. They're the most comfortable and flattering boots I own (and that includes my Sergio Grassos, custom Vogels, and several pairs of Crowne Pro tall boots). In fact, I like them so much that my go-to riding items at home were my Monaco paddock boots and Monaco half chaps up until last year when I got my Volants. Now I ride in the paddocks/half chaps whenever pictures might be taken (yes, I'm vain like that ), and I ride in my Volants whenever it's particularly muddy or cold. I feel like a walking advertisement for Ariat boots. Wish I liked their breeches as much! (to be clear, I'm in no way associated with Ariat - I just like their boots a lot, and every time I stray to another brand I end up back at Ariat).

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine held up really well for about 9 months -- they looked great. Unfortunately, the stitching on the toe box started coming undone, but Dover replaced the boots for me. Even if they don't have the longest life span, they are so comfortable and flattering to the leg, I would buy them again and have any stitching repairs made as needed.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I am ecstatic to hear yours have lasted 3 show seasons! I just got a pair for a great price, but go through boots like crazy and have heard bad things about them. I am planning to only show in them and hope they last for at least 2 years!

I don't like the Monacos at all...they're so not worth the money (though I know these are a fraction of the price). Personally, I'm saving up for custom Tuccis
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."

I bought a pair of lightly used Monacos off ebay this past week...and LOVE THEM!!!! They've only been worn a few times, yet they're perfectly broken in already, and so soft.
    Friend of bar.ka