The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses and nails=puncture wound

Yep, my OTTB came up 3 legged lame 3 days ago. Hubby (a farrier) was home. Looked at hoof and pulled about 1inch nail out of cleft of frog, angled Back not Forwards (toward bulbs) Yep, I also know about getting radiographs/x rays done with nail in hoof. But for several reasons (travel, no vising vets available, etc) we pulled it out.

No blood, so far no pus and horse appears sound, running around bucking and cantering like an idiot. Let out a big sigh when nail came out. Did a tetnus booster, tried penecillan (boy he didn't care for that much!) so went to smz tabs 2x/day. Epsom salt soaks and a feminine pad with salt water vet taped and inside a hoof boot. Horse is moving great. No fever and swelling is gone.

Think I dodged a bullet?? I pray I did....

With three days to cook, and silence from the foot, I think you may be home free. But having started them I would continue the SMZs for a normal period.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

Or. . . it could be your worst nightmare!

Mine cost close to 10k to deal with.

Fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Or. . . it could be your worst nightmare!

Mine cost close to 10k to deal with.

Fine now.
    Yup. Had to send mine across the bridge after suffering for 6 months. Infection in the navicular bursa.

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    Yup. Had to send mine across the bridge after suffering for 6 months. Infection in the navicular bursa.
    Mine was 5 weeks at the vet hospital and was euthanized also, but the nail track went thru the navicular bursa and half way into the coffin bone.
    We should not even have tried to make that work, the horse was in pain, even with the heaviest pain killers.

Don't let your guard down, keep at it and hope for a good dose of good luck.

Your nail was small, so mostly I expect you have to worry about infection, not real damage to tissues in there, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    But having started them I would continue the SMZs for a normal period.
    Yes please

Fingers crossed you dodged that nasty!

Thank you all for your support. I am so sorry for your individual losses due to the evil nails. I *think* that if it were worse he would be showing pain. He is not. I pray all is well. I fully intend to keep with smz's twice daily and 1 bute tab for the full 7 days, more if needed. Probably soak too. Def will keep a boot on until the ugly weather passes.

Any other thoughts please let me know.

Definitely keep the SMZs and soakings going. Any change in lameness, call the vet!

Had a horse ran afoul with a nail that touched the coffin bone, but miraculously did not damage anything other than the sole. He seemed fine the first week, called the vet after I pulled it out (know NOW not to do that!) he liked what I was doing (basically treating it like an abcess), but week 2 he became suddenly lame. Vet came out, the pus wasn't able to drain out of the small hole, so he had to pare away a larger drainage route. Kept him on SMZs and had me wrap him with a "wet to dry" bandage after daily flushing with sterile saline. Horse made a full recovery and never took another bad step on that foot since!

I don't think I'd be giving the bute, just so you can easily monitor how the foot feels to him. (Ie- if all of a sudden he gets lame after being good for 3 days- you will know quickly that something is going on) About 3 or 4 years ago, I dodged your same bullet. I pulled out a 4 inch roofing nail!!!! Tetnus, Penn and soaking and packing his hoof for a week. My guy turned out fine, hope yours does the same.
    Kerri

I would drop the bute. It doesn't work real well on foot pain but it works well enough that it could mask some minor lameness before it becomes full blown agony.

Another , give up the bute. It is analgesic, not going to do a thing unless he's hurting. And if he's hurting you want to know about it, pronto!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde sage View Post
    . . .
    Think I dodged a bullet?? I pray I did....
    I wouldn't be confident about the result until at least 28 days have elapsed and the pad is not needed again.

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    Wow and I thought it was rare! My mare had a piece of barbed wire that punctured her navicular bursa. The vet gave her a 10% of being sound and then of that 10 ... a 2% chance of being rideable. Guess what.. she was that 2%! Only a trained eye can see that she is slightly bit short strided in that foot. The vet said if she got in infection in there, she was done for. I am so happy that's over with! Holding up a cranky 1/2 drafts foot for 20 minutes while we changed her plate and bandaging was not fun! 10k later and a lot of stress I'm not sure we would do it again. OP- Hope you dodged it, I think I still would call the vet to check up on it. We didn't know that the wire in our mare's foot turned 90* and would have gotten infected if we didn't open it up. Good luck!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

PSA- Everyone should have a big 5' magnet mounted on the back of their tractor or quad. Or at least a big 2' handheld one. You should see some of the stuff that we pick up. (our property must have been owned by a farmer who believed in burrying trash). We found 1/2 a car underground when we moved in!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!

And this is why I FUME after the farrier leaves, and pretty much do a crawl down the aisle. Neither farrier's minions nor our barn help do an adequate clean up. I find nails in the aisle.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    And this is why I FUME after the farrier leaves, and pretty much do a crawl down the aisle.
    Do you have one of these or something similar?
    http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Magnet.../dp/B001CKWOJC

Neither farrier's minions nor our barn help do an adequate clean up. I find nails in the aisle.
    You have only yourself to blame for that.......

Just an FYI, this happened in the large field my horse was turned out in. NOT in the barn and not anything to do with farriers. ;-)
    So far so good, no more swelling, no more heat, sound at all 3 gaits...Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks all for the great advice.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

You may want to familiarize yourself with the terms "Street Nail Procedure" and "Maggot Therapy"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    Do you have one of these or something similar?
    http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Magnet.../dp/B001CKWOJC

You have only yourself to blame for that.......
    What?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!