The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hard skin bumps behind withers - warts or fungus?

So my 1/2 lease has developed these odd bumps on the right side of his back, a few inches behind his withers. They are hard and knobby, no give to them, and he is very sensitive when I poke at them. If you do pick at them, they are almost scabby or wart-like.

They are in a triangle shape, and a fourth one has recently appeared an inch or so behind that triangle. All are a little smaller than dime sized in diameter.

Here are some pictures from the other day - they are hard to see so I highlighted in yellow where they are.

I don't think these are pressure sores or related to saddle fit, as he has what may be much tinier versions going down his right flank - we discovered them after we body clipped him in November.

Plugged pores, ingrown hair follicle, warts, fungus? I have no clue, but I'm afraid they might be irritating him while being ridden. I googled it just for the heck of it, and collagen granulomas sound like them from descriptions.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psa8e94f5f.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psd44acddc.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps97063539.jpg
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

I think it is just a little "rain rot". My old guy get's these when he is blanketed. I pick them off and apply a little anti-fungal cream. He has gotten much less after I put him on Omega3.

If they do not feel crusty, but appear to have a center core, they may be what I have seen referred to as "warbles". They develop anywhere but clear up unless they are in a pressure area, such as under a saddle. There they can take forever to go away.

Rain rot is crusty and the hair pulls out in tiny clumps.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I think it is just a little "rain rot". My old guy get's these when he is blanketed. I pick them off and apply a little anti-fungal cream. He has gotten much less after I put him on Omega3.
    Yeaaah, pony vehemently protests when I prod around or pick at them, and this horse is the most stoic I have ever encountered. So that's a no

But I'm wondering if I should see what anti-fungal cream they have at the local tack store and give it a try.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

If he doesn't like you poking at them, can't imagine that the saddle and rider weight feels too great either...If they've been around since November, I'm thinking its high time to get veterinary input...
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    If he doesn't like you poking at them, can't imagine that the saddle and rider weight feels too great either...If they've been around since November, I'm thinking its high time to get veterinary input...
    The bumps behind his withers only showed up probably less than a month ago.

The much smaller bumps on his right flank were what we discovered in November, during body clipping.