The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I've been using Arbico for 3 years, and now thinking of trying Spaulding, only...Arbico is $16.16 per month, plus 3 bonus amounts; Spaulding is $28.95 first month, then $18.95 per month, only one bonus. $26.74 difference. Arbico says they supply all fly predators; Spaulding says they have different species of fly predators. Spaulding gives you a quantity, Arbico gives you a unit and won't tell you a quantity. I am wondering if rotating is best if they are truly different species... has anyone actually done a comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    When do most of you start putting out the fly predators? I can't remember when they really start showing up around here in NC
    I think mine will start shipping mid-late March, so fairly soon.

I put my first shipment out yesterday.

I also use Spaulding. I can tell a difference between the paddocks where I use them and the main pasture. I need to up my order so I can place them in both places.

Just so you know, when it's time to put out a fresh batch all the fresh manure will disappear. LOL! The day after you've searched for fresh crap and finally settled on where to put them, fresh manure will be everywhere you look.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

[QUOTE=Bluey;6863472]I have heard that Arbico is the main supplier, even what Spalding sells they buy from them, or used to.
    Don't know if that is right, but it was not denied when I asked Spalding.

Spalding does not use Arbico for a supplier. Never has.

Spalding Fly Predators and Arbico Fly Eliminators are not the same thing at all. They are both parasitoids but they are very different species. The comparison is like saying a miniature horse and a draft horse are the same since they are both horses.
    Spalding uses an optimized mix of up to 3 different species; Muscidifurax raptorellus, Spalangia cameroni or Spalangia endius and Muscidifurax zaraptor. Dozens of studies over 40+ years have shown good efficacy for all kinds of animals, large and small, of the species in the genuses that you get with Fly Predators.

Arbico Fly Eliminators uses a mix that is 90% Nasonia. Today there is scant scientific support showing Nasonia is effective for large animals like horses.
    Larry Garner
    Spalding Fly Predators

2 members found this post helpful.

What about also putting Fy Predators inside as well, in the barn and in the stalls themselves? Yes, it's buggy outside - but it's not exactly fly-free in the barn! Can this be done
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

They need to be where flies are going to lay eggs. So, this could include around water tubs if they are around the barn, as they sometimes will lay in moist areas, and they will be a problem sometimes if you've got lots of vegetation along fencelines or something.

But if your stalls are kept picked out with very little manure or pee spots, don't waste them in there

Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    What about also putting Fy Predators inside as well, in the barn and in the stalls themselves? Yes, it's buggy outside - but it's not exactly fly-free in the barn! Can this be done
    It can be done if you do not use pesticide sprays in the barn.
    Fly predators can fly. Scatter them where they are most needed. They will fly around and do their job.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Larry Garner;6879371]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have heard that Arbico is the main supplier, even what Spalding sells they buy from them, or used to.

Spalding Fly Predators and Arbico Fly Eliminators are not the same thing at all. They are both parasitoids but they are very different species. The comparison is like saying a miniature horse and a draft horse are the same since they are both horses.
    Spalding uses an optimized mix of up to 3 different species; Muscidifurax raptorellus, Spalangia cameroni or Spalangia endius and Muscidifurax zaraptor. Dozens of studies over 40+ years have shown good efficacy for all kinds of animals, large and small, of the species in the genuses that you get with Fly Predators.

Arbico Fly Eliminators uses a mix that is 90% Nasonia. Today there is scant scientific support showing Nasonia is effective for large animals like horses.
    Mr. Garner,
    Good morning. Thank you for your detailed reply. What I really appreciate is that you gave us the scientific names of the fly predators that make up your product. I'll be placing my first order this weekend.
    Best Regards,
    Amber
    Abilene, Kansas

[QUOTE=Larry Garner;6879371]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have heard that Arbico is the main supplier, even what Spalding sells they buy from them, or used to.

Glad to hear that, interesting, not what I had been hearing.

We had a record breaking drought last summer and poor control, even with practically no cattle anywhere around.

We may just have had such a hot, dry summer, the predators just didn't survive in enough numbers to do much good, no matter which kind they may have been.

In the years before, with both Arbico and Spalding, we had excellent control.
    Will see how it goes this year.
    If the bugs are different, maybe using both kinds could help?