The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter/jumper barns near Walnut Creek, CA

Hi-

I looked thru the threads but they're very old. Can anyone out there give me some names of good hunter/jumper trainers in the East Bay area. Specifically close to Walnut Creek - Danville - San Ramon area. Looking for A circuit barn at a nice facility - big turnouts - nice stalls - solid trainer. I've found a few on-line Cantus Farm, Shady Lane, Westhaven, Outwood, Kelly Maddox. Can anyone give me some insight on these barns (and any other top notch trainers that I should look into that aren't too far). Thanks Cloth!

http://shilohwest.net/ I rode here nearly 7 years ago now. Not sure what the environment is like now or who the trainers are, but it was a very active h/j facility at the time. Worth checking out. Good luck!

If you get on Bayequest.com you can look up barns in the area as well.

I've been to Shady Lane a few times. Matt and Lindsey Archer are awesome people, and their property is gorgeous. They attend big shows regularly, and they are both so nice and so funny!

Westhaven and Diane Yeager/Kristen Swanson are great, great people- as long as you own your own horse! They're currently stabled in Castro Valley at Graceland Equestrian Center (which is a nice facility, but I won't speak of the people who own the property.)

I used to do some working student-type chores for Hilary Johnson of Rose Hill Stables, and they are currently located at Iron Horse Equestrian Center off Tassajara in Danville. She is an amazing teacher, and the facility construction (I believe) has just been completed!

Honestly, the Bay Area is a goldmine for awesome trainers. Such great people are in nearly every corner!
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"

I rode at Horizons East Equestrian Center when I was in high school. I haven't kept in touch, but they were good when I was there.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

If you want to stay close to Walnut Creek, Leap of Faith has a few h/j trainers, I'm not a h/j rider so I don't know anything about the training itself.

I knew people who rode with, and really liked, Kelly Maddox.

Bay Area Equestrian Network is a good resource, although not all barns are listed (most of the show barns should be).

A second for Diane Yeager at Westhaven.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

Tell us a bit more about what you are looking for in a trainer/for yourself and your horse. Turn out in most of the facilities is somewhat limted so not entirely sure what you need in that regard. What level are you riding or is your horse going?

There are some awesome trainers in the area and depending on how often you want to show, etc. I am sure you wil find a good match.

When I was in High School Matt Archer was one of our FFA state officers. I believe it was the same year that our member Mandy was President. When I discovered a few years ago that he had moved up to my area and they had a barn I thought it was funny. He was always very nice back then so I'm sure they have a great place.