The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question 2013 Ladies Hunt Coat Trends

I saw some picts of hunter riders at Thermal and saw many 4-button coats, lots of piping and even some brass buttons. Are the 3 button coats with plain buttons still acceptable in the rated hunter and eq classes?

I just got the Grand Prix Techlite coat. I got it in navy blue, 4 buttons, piping all the way down (this can be found on the Hunter version) in stone/blue. I may consider even getting another version of this coat with the contrasting collar, perhaps in hunter green. I think it's perfectly acceptable for the hunter ring.

http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...Coat%2C/Detail

3 button coats are always acceptable and always in style. I still wear my good ol' navy blue hunt coat with three buttons.

Both are acceptable, there is more a wider range of styles, not so much with color. I find that the in colors are still just black, navy, green, or gray, maybe with a different colored piping such as white or black or light blue, subtle colors. The soft shells are very popular and as a little more Euro influence has come in, so has the 4 button and brass button style. All my coats still have three matching buttons because the 4 button cut is in flattering on me, however if it looked good I'd have one.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I got the Romfh coat for Christmas, and I actually think it is very nice.

Slim fitting though...

I was impressed at how nice it was for the price. I think you could wear it in either ring, the blue is quite dark and the contarasting collar piping subtle.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a 4 button navy blue Charles Ancona and I cannot wait to show in it. Because of my build I'm thrilled the 4 button is in style! I also traded my TS pants in for FITS. I like to think I'm more in style, I think I'm just old! Next on the list...the new Essex show shirt that is stretchy cooling material except the placket and the cuffs. Ahhh, to show eq and hunters in relative comfort!
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    I just got the Grand Prix Techlite coat. I got it in navy blue, 4 buttons, piping all the way down (this can be found on the Hunter version) in stone/blue. I may consider even getting another version of this coat with the contrasting collar, perhaps in hunter green. I think it's perfectly acceptable for the hunter ring.

http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...Coat%2C/Detail

3 button coats are always acceptable and always in style. I still wear my good ol' navy blue hunt coat with three buttons.
    Love that coat!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Love that coat!
    I agree ... that coat is wonderful!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sammicat View Post
    I agree ... that coat is wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Love that coat!

I haven't washed it yet, so I can't attest for any of that, but the woman at the Farmhouse Tack popup at Gulfport told me NOT to dry clean it! Apparently one technique used in dry cleaning messes up the lining - I'm not sure how, but I'll follow the instructions it came with.

The material is REALLY high quality, and the coat is so thin and light - PERFECT for summer! But great for any time of the year.
    If anyone is interested, I definitely recommend it.

I'm in LOVE with piping, and velvet on the collar in a subdued/matching color.
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"

Everyone is buying fun buttons, piping and contrast collars this season. Our mobile unit at Thermal has a hunt coat with wooden buttons and its to die for!
    "For by the love that guides my pen, I know great horses live again."