The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Minimum standards for bringing in new horses?

What inoculations/testing do you require in your barn?

At private barn, well cared for physically, but am a bit concerned about horses recently brought in. Would like to talk with BO about what/if they had for documentation before accepting these two recent purchases.

Not a show barn in the winter, but we will be traveling in the next few months to clinics and a few events. And obviously, I don't want my guy picking up anything.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Our barn requires a strangles vaccination as well as being up to date on other vaccinations and deworming. Also a coggins test. We have pretty high biosecurity, horses always travelling around to shows and clinics.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Bumping this again for more info.

Case is BO has brought in 2 new green ISH fillies. Has been decided they will share the big pasture with my guy. He's never been with mares. Of course had to act studdish. But things seem to be settling down.

Both have been on pasture for some time - both very green - 5 & 6 years old. (BO herself is frankly a novice - both rider and owner, but we have a good trainer - when she returns from the south.) One filly has a couple of small 3x4" patches of rain rot? (I haven't seen rain rot or had to deal with it in ages and ages...) The patches are dry and flaked over, but coat missing. The same filly with the rain rot? had to be picked up from the seller's vet, for a reason reportedly not related to her own health. But, hey, I'm suspect...

Haven't seen BO in person for a couple of days, but, and I know she'll resist this - I'd like her to take a scraping. As it is, was going to remove my guy's hood as it warmed up this weekend, but now think it's best he keep all his covers on...

He's very healthy - given all his shots late March, boosters in April, so coming due, but good now - 4way, rabies, strangles, West Nile, Rhino.

One of the things I like about the barn owner is that she's so positive, but perhaps to a fault when not considering the worst case scenario...and frankly naive about what can be brought into a barn.

Obviously they should have their Coggins. Health certificate? Proof of which preventative shots is ideal?

Or am I just overreacting... Thanks.
    Last edited by CVPeg; Feb. 25, 2013 at 05:19 PM. Reason: clarification

Well ideally you want a health certificate, proof of vaccinations, worming documentation, and a negative coggins. If any of those elements can't be provided, than 30 days of quarantine should be practiced. I feel you as I have a BO that doesn't follow those rules... all she requires is a negative coggins and vaccine proof, which is better than nothing, but not fully sufficient.

Rain rot wouldn't keep me from taking your guys hood off. It tends to affect horses with compromised immune systems and negligent grooming. (not to say that a healthy horse can't contract a case, I'm just generalizing and sharing my experience) However, if she has a bad case, that would give me pause for her overall health. It can just be a case of poor grooming if it's a mild case, but if it's pretty severe, then there is usually an underlying health issue or parasites compromising the horses ability to fight off a fungal infection.

My TB mare that I had to euthanize last fall had a rough case of rain rot last year following a serious allergic reaction to the bugs and steroid treatment. None of the other horses in her turnout group contracted any infection, and our vet felt it was fine to allow her to continue to be with her friends, as we wanted her to avoid as much stress as possible while recovering. BUT as I said, I'd be worried about an underlying condition that is making her system weak. I'd ask the BO at the very least to pull fecals. At this point, your boy has already been exposed to any other illness they might have, and should be quarantined with the new mares...
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Original Poster

Thanks - that's what I figured. He's stuck with them now.

They have to wait for the thaw for new fencing so couldn't do it another way, unless it meant - a) living in mud, or b) being confined - neither of which are good for him...

But also, she didn't mention it, although it was obvious the minute you saw them. I wish she would be up front about things like this - not discussing it only adds to the suspicion.

I know this isn't what you asked, but I honestly wouldn't worry about the rain rot. If the conditions are right basically any horse can contract it at any time--regardless of their turnout buddies.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    I know this isn't what you asked, but I honestly wouldn't worry about the rain rot. If the conditions are right basically any horse can contract it at any time--regardless of their turnout buddies.
    Well, not necessarily - did wonder if I was overreacting.

Guess I've felt more secure reviewing his inoculations, and hearing discussion about catching something with a lowered immune system, also suggested by another IRL.

What also had me worried was having picked the filly up at the vet's...and no further discussion...