The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best value on PVC jumps?

I would like to (gradually) replace my old wooden showjumping course with some spiffy PVC jumps. So what is the best company in terms of value--price vs quality? So far I've found showjumps.com, dressagearena.net, jumpvc.com, jumpsusa.com, and inmovativevinyl.com (just basics there). I wish I lived in England, because I have experience with the product from showjumps.com, but by the time they get to the USA the prices are almost double the UK prices.......

Jennifer

I have had my Jump Pvc standards since about 1997 or 98. I used to have some fillers, but the fire in Iowa destroyed them. I love these standards and can definitely recommend them to anyone wanting a lasting, quality product. Mine have endured the Iowa and Missouri winters, wind and extreme heat with no damage whatsoever. I believe they still manufacture their own PVC, so it is not what you will find in the mass market vinyl.
    They also come with stainless steel white headed screws.

That said, with the shipping prices as they are on fillers, I chose www.nextdayjumps for a small ladder and planks. So far, they are holding up well, but they are only 5 or 6 years old. These are shipped broken down and in half with a wooden rod to slide into the center.
    I still prefer wooden fillers and wooden poles. I would love a few of those pvc covered wood poles, but they are too expensive when you include the shipping for a smaller order.
    I cannot imagine the price of shipping from England!! It is bad enough on my leather hides.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

My husband is a jump builder of mostly custom show jumps. With that, we often get many of jumps in on trade, which we use in our own ring until someone buys them. Personally, I would never invest in the white PVC standards. I know other brands are better than others, but you put the stupid things down wrong, and the feet crack off, or my personal favorite, the standards on the back rail tip over, but pole remains in the cups. You are better off finding a used set somewhere if you really love them, but it's one of those things that once they crack, there is no repairing them, so I feel like you are better off buying more expensive standards that last, even if you can only afford a few pairs of wings each year.

We did have a set of the jumpforjoy PVC jumps you are talking about from the UK, and I loved them. The fillers are ugly and broke, but in having the standards for several years, and renting them to shows to use in warm ups, we only broke 2 standards (ring crew ran over 1, and the other broke at the weld seam). They have aluminum feet that don't break, and the PVC is more pliable, so if something popped out, they pop back in. They do make stick standards, which might be cheaper to ship. We ended up selling the whole used lot for pretty cheap, so maybe you could find a used set somewhere?

The NEW material in the USA is aluminum. We started manufacturing them last year. They are light weight, don't crack, maintenance free, and stack easily. You can literally run into them with the arena drag daily, and they still look great (ask me how I know this Everyone is switching to them in FL, because the sun BAKES just about everything else, and humidity can rot wood quickly if they are not kept up with fresh paint. The kicker is that they run about the same price as the jumpforjoy jumps, but def worth the $.

Here is our jump page if you want to see a pic of the Aluminum standards I just added:
    https://www.facebook.com/BrodyRobert...wJumps?fref=ts

I can honestly say that none of my Jumpvc standards have ever cracked (knock on wood). They withstood Iowa winters outside and falls during high wind storms in Missouri. In fact, they have spent winters out every year since I purchased them. The way that these particular standards are put together, I see no reason why, if by some chance they did crack a foot, that the piece could not be replaced.
    Just my observation of my own jumps.

I have never personally had aluminum, so I cannot comment on those either way.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

We have jumps from "Safety System"; the website is www.usshowjumping.com. They are the best jumps, rails and gates/panels I've seen, for value, being lightweight and attractive. They even custom-printed some panels with our barn logo. I think they had a rep at WEF last year and that is where we saw them. The standards can have wings, or none, and are lightweight either way. The winged ones have tracks for the jump cups on both sides of the wing so that you can create jumps next to each other using only the one standard in between the jumps. The colors and designs are really creative. Jump cups are nylon and do not rust. You can get the cup adapter to make them into the safety cups for the back rail of an oxer. Check it out.