The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    So all the vets involved say quarantine is not necessary beyond the horses in tent 7. The state vets say its not necessary.

I get being super careful, but I wouldn't condemn folks for following the advice of both the state and their personal vets.

It seems appropriate to bring the horses home to a self quarantine situation similar to any new horse coming into a new barn.

Some people indeed. I think I would take my advice from the vet closest to the situation and ill leave it at that.
    My question would then be "what do they know that we and our vets who are not 'close to the situation' don't?"

Because from everything I've read about EHV, there's no way that this loose "quarantine" of Tent 7" would be an effective way of preventing the spread of EHV unless none of the horses, equipment or people who had any contact with the infected horse had any contact with any other horses before or after the quarantine began. Is that even possible? What about the statements of movement in and out of Tent 7 after the initiation of the quarantine? The reason people are still upset is because given the known facts, the nonchalance is illogical. Add to that the Thermal experience, and no one is willing to trust that effective measures have been or will be taken. So they're scared and angry.

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    So all the vets involved say quarantine is not necessary beyond the horses in tent 7. The state vets say its not necessary.

I get being super careful, but I wouldn't condemn folks for following the advice of both the state and their personal vets.

It seems appropriate to bring the horses home to a self quarantine situation similar to any new horse coming into a new barn.

Some people indeed. I think I would take my advice from the vet closest to the situation and ill leave it at that.
    Well, last year, I was involved in a situation where the barn I was at concealed a strangles outbreak (horses were PLAINLY ill with what appeared to be strangles, but barn owner, trainer that brought it into the barn, and a VET all stated that the horses did not have strangles). The barn owner then mandated that all horses be vaccinated (YES, during the outbreak). The vet who assisted in the concealment of the outbreak performed the majority of the vaccinations, despite the fact that vaccination in the face of a strangles outbreak is quite dangerous.

My own horse became ill during the outbreak, and, because my vets were told that the problem in the barn had been tested and it wasn't strangles, my horse was treated with antibiotics and not tested for strangles (again, dangerous!).

After my horse was well, and before I knew that the disease in question was strangles, I moved to a different barn. Just by, I guess, luck or chance or whatever, the barn I moved to had already had a properly-handled and quarantined strangles outbreak maybe two years before I moved there. No horses became ill as a result of my horse moving in (and maybe they would not have anyway, as he was completely recovered for several months before I moved him).

I did not learn about the concealed strangles outbreak at my former barn until nearly a year after I moved my horse. I found out because one of the owners whose horse was tested later confirmed that her horse had tested positive for strangles but that she was instructed not to tell anyone.

I contacted my state vet about the above scenario and the vet who assisted in the concealment of the disease, and you know what they said about it? That there was nothing they could do.

So. People are self-serving jerks quite frequently. And vets are not immune from that problem. Horse people, in my experience, tend to be amongst the most selfish of all people, and it's playing out with the HITS scenario just as I would expect it to. I don't think many people have the full story, and I think the state vet in FL will be reluctant to step in and tell people not to move their horses into non-contaminated areas.

1 members found this post helpful.

There is a seminar about EHV 1 being hosted tomorrow night in Ocala at the Marion County Extension Office. These are some great topics to bring up at the seminar tomorrow. http://largeanimal.vethospitals.ufl....ary-hospitals/

Fine Already, Your scenario of Vets covering for BO and infected barns is more common than we'd like to believe. I've been at a barn where strangles became simply a "spider bite" and BO refused to produce a negative strangles test: I've also been at a barn where Pigeon Fever became a simple "insect bite that got infected and also at one barn where Rhino or some "flu" was going through the barn and no one was told by BO until the horse next to them got sick then "Oh yea, some bug's been around."

Whenever a BO has a tight relationship with one special vet and they're not open and upfront, I'm usually suspect at diagnoses of contagious bugs.

Sadly we really have to do our own due diligence for our horses.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

[QUOTE=jse;6857355]...there has been ONE horse infected with EHV-1 and is responding well to treatment and the horses it came into contact with in the tent where it was stabled are being very closely monitored and have yet to show signs or symptoms....[/QUOTE]

Would they be showing symptoms yet? I thought the incubation period was longer than 2 days?

The latest info i saw was that 7 barns in FL are under quarantine. 2 in Ocala, one in St Augustine, 2 in pinellas Park and one at WEF along with Tent 7 at HITS, along with of course the barns in NJ and so on.
    This was posted in an article in COTH and also on the website for the FL Dept of Ag.
    I'm on my phone and can't link it, but links to all of it are in the thread on the h/j forum
    So yes apparently it is spreading. And if i were a boarder and some irresponsible selfish a** brought their horse back home, and mine got infected you better believe I would do whatever I had to do to make sure that person paid for my vet bills (all of them) and/or for my horse if he died. You betcha.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    The latest info i saw was that 7 barns in FL are under quarantine. 2 in Ocala, one in St Augustine, 2 in pinellas Park and one at WEF along with Tent 7 at HITS, along with of course the barns in NJ and so on.
    This was posted in an article in COTH and also on the website for the FL Dept of Ag.
    I'm on my phone and can't link it, but links to all of it are in the thread on the h/j forum
    So yes apparently it is spreading. And if i were a boarder and some irresponsible selfish a** brought their horse back home, and mine got infected you better believe I would do whatever I had to do to make sure that person paid for my vet bills (all of them) and/or for my horse if he died. You betcha.
    No dog in this fight but I believe the current quarantine locations are not being quarantined because of additional outbreaks, but because they have horses who came in contact with the single affected horse that is currently being treated for EHV1.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    You guys go ahead and argue it out but stop saying there's a "breakout" when there isn't. Go read the definition of breakout....there has been ONE horse infected with EHV-1 and is responding well to treatment and the horses it came into contact with in the tent where it was stabled are being very closely monitored and have yet to show signs or symptoms. That is not considered a breakout....and with the lack of communication from HITS NONE of us are certain when this horse became truly symptomatic....
    Trust me I have been very defensive on this issue but we were not the only people pulling out of that area and heading home. There were TONS checking out. So I guess they are all crazy and stupid too....
    The size of the epidemic that you or other people isn't what bothered me about your post. Rather, it was "If I'm wrong then I'm wrong" statement.

You leave out that your being wrong creates consequences for a whole lot of other people who were not given the chance to choose *their* version of "the truth" about the epidemic.

Not only do you choose that for them, you don't particularly care whether your get your versions right or wrong because, hey, once you admit you are wrong, nothing else happens.... except that you are wrong.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thats enough to spread it. The whole point of quarantine is limiting exposure and they have done a Piss poor job at HITS, from trying to hide it in the beginning to the state vets letting people continue to ship in and come and go as they please from the grounds.

there was supposed to be a quote here of the post two up about the horses in the quarantine barns being exposed but not sick (yet)
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

http://largeanimal.vethospitals.ufl....ary-hospitals/

This explains the certain strain of disease that this horse has and is very informative.

And MVP I get what you mean, my wording was not appropriate. What I mean is that I am going to trust in my vets and the people who are in charge at this point and if I am wrong for doing that then there is nothing I can do but suffer the consequences. If I am wrong, then I cannot change it....but I did what I personally thought was best. My horse is home and in a private facility not affecting anyone else (I do not board!). She is happy and healthy at this point and is being very closely watched. Had I been in a boarding situation, without a doubt this would have been a totally different situation for me.