The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin off on EHV thread.....Horses coming back to your barn...your thoughts

How do you feel about horses that may have been potentially exposed to the EHV virus, returning to your barn?
    Will you be letting them back in or requiring them to remain in Ocala for quarantine? If you let them in the barn, what are your protocols? How will you deal with other boarders who are concerned about possible infection?
    I spoke with my vet yesterday, who said my concerns are justified. He is shocked that the entire HITS isn't on lockdown, which they did years ago when there was an outbreak (and a different state vet).
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

I wouldn't be happy, that's for sure. I would definitely quarantine them as best I could.

ETA: After reading about how careless they appear to be in Ocala, wouldn't be coming back to my barn.
    Last edited by LauraKY; Feb. 25, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Any barn that allows horses back before the quarantine period ends, will be opening themselves up to all kinds of lawsuits from the owner of any infected animal, and if there there is spread beyond that barn, then it could get even uglier for lawsuits. I don't know how someone could live with the repercussions if there is spread to other barns, and other geographic locations. This situation is being handled so badly, that it's amazing.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse is coming home as we speak.
    I think that everything really is fine down there.....if I am wrong then I'm wrong.
    She was not granted a health certificate on Friday but they issued her one yesterday and they passed through the AG Inspection station hours ago with not one problem.
    Even if things are fine, it's still wrong that HITS has allowed this to blow up the way it has amongst owners and exhibitors. Informing this kind of thing within 24 hours (not 72!) prevents people from making their own assumptions and conclusions to this type of matter.
    My mare has and will be very closely monitored as she was at the show but was not stabled there.

jse - seriously??
    EHV-1 breaks out in one of the most horsey-populated areas of FL, a place where horses come from all over the US and Canada. The quarantine is, essentially, ineffective with reports of horses coming and going out of Tent 7 (quarantine tent). WEF, Gulfport etc are not letting in horses from Ocala. I think you're crazy if you think everything "really is fine down there". I'm willing to bet we will be seeing the aftermath of this for a LONG time. If this spreads down to WEF - and it already may have - I don't think I need to spell out the potential consequences.

My horse is not currently in FL but there are others at my facility who are, at both Ocala and WEF. While I am just a lowly owner, if there's a quarantine enacted I'd certainly prefer the horses stayed down there for the duration and kept it away from here, this currently uninfected area. If the recommendations and regulations were ignored and an infected or carrier horse were brought into my facility and my horse became affected or died, I would absolutely look into legal action. People - HITS especially - need to stop treating this like it's nothing.

6 members found this post helpful.

Having lived through the outbreak at Pimlico I have learned how not to handle things. This would fall into the not category in my opinion. They allowed horses to leave Pimlico that were not in the infected barn and they passed it on killing horses at their new barn.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    I think that everything really is fine down there.....if I am wrong then I'm wrong.
    Oh my. It would really bum me out to have a fellow boarder be so cavalier with a mistake whose consequences could extend to me. I hope you don't think so little of the other folks keeping their horse with yours.

I have not been at any barn that did a to-the-letter perfect quarantine even than I have been around for a while and been with some nicely anal BOs. It's hard to do in practice.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

My horse is coming home as we speak.
    Well, bless your heart.
    <><

It's a tough situation. Not sure you can blame owners for taking their horses out when the state of FL and the vets say its okay. I think there is a big difference between the horses in tent 7 under quarantine, and the rest which the state has placed no restrictions on.

Lots of opinions on this board, lots of different opinions among vets. I have to trust the vets closest to the problem and who know the facts, unlike those speculating on this forum, are in the best position to make these very difficult judgements.

You guys go ahead and argue it out but stop saying there's a "breakout" when there isn't. Go read the definition of breakout....there has been ONE horse infected with EHV-1 and is responding well to treatment and the horses it came into contact with in the tent where it was stabled are being very closely monitored and have yet to show signs or symptoms. That is not considered a breakout....and with the lack of communication from HITS NONE of us are certain when this horse became truly symptomatic....
    Trust me I have been very defensive on this issue but we were not the only people pulling out of that area and heading home. There were TONS checking out. So I guess they are all crazy and stupid too....

Thank you, jr.

You guys go ahead and argue it out but stop saying there's a "breakout" when there isn't. Go read the definition of breakout....there has been ONE horse infected with EHV-1 and is responding well to treatment and the horses it came into contact with in the tent where it was stabled are being very closely monitored and have yet to show signs or symptoms. That is not considered a breakout....and with the lack of communication from HITS NONE of us are certain when this horse became truly symptomatic....
    Trust me I have been very defensive on this issue but we were not the only people pulling out of that area and heading home. There were TONS checking out. So I guess they are all crazy and stupid too....
    As MVP suggested, it's not *just* about you and your horses.
    Not only is there potential for your horse itself to spread the virus, there is potential for you, your trailer, your equipment, your shoes, you name it to spread it.

I really have to wonder how you would feel if someone else brought their horse home after saying "Meh, it's totally blown out of proportion, they're fiiiiiiiine" and infected YOUR precious horse.

While you are correct in saying it's not a breakout, the key word you are missing is "yet". I will eat my hat if the one horse is the only affected equine. Also, "everyone else is doing it, too" isn't a good reason for much of anything.

4 members found this post helpful.

Lots of self righteousness here. I'm willing to bet if you had a horse in Ocala, and the state of Fl told you could move it, the vets told you could move it, that you'd be outta there. Folks are sure in a tough spot. Do you spend thousands more than you budgeted to keep the horse somewhere where the vets tell you don't have to stay, or do you head for home.

If you are a professional with a string of clients, do you really tell your clients it's in their best interests to stay contrary to all authorities directly related to the situation? If you stay and their horses are subsequently infected, are you liable? If you go home and horses are infected are you liable? Not an easy decision.

Everyone is worried, and I pray the vets are right and everyone follows the bio protocols. But the situation is not as cut and dried as some folks here like to think.

3 members found this post helpful.

I might be "outta there" but I for damn sure wouldn't take the horse home so that I could expose my other horses to it, too. I would try to find somewhere to take it where there were no other horses on the premises and quarantine it properly.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    I might be "outta there" but I for damn sure wouldn't take the horse home so that I could expose my other horses to it, too. I would try to find somewhere to take it where there were no other horses on the premises and quarantine it properly.
    This, exactly.

If I were in the situation and was able to move my horse elsewhere, you better believe I would, in a heartbeat. However, horse would NOT be going back to a boarding stable etc and potentially getting other horses sick. Horse would be quarantined appropriately first.

Lots of selfish people think only of themselves. I don't blame people for leaving, but I hope that those who took their horses outta HITS are being overly cautious upon their return to their own barn(s) so as not to spread this awful virus.

There are the folks who go to work, school, out in public when they are sick, cough into their hands and touch everything never thinking about the people they infect and affect.

Lori, I would be very upset if your BO allowed these horses back into your barn and I was a fellow boarder. I'm also shocked that the state vet dispersed all these horses back to their home barns. Yes, it's an inconvenience and an expense to quarantine but we have to think of the larger picture and what may happen a week or a month from now when these multiple barns start having positive cases.

I've never been in a boarding barn where the BO or BM did any quarantine even w/ new horses. It was always handled through "denial" that any disease would spread. So knowingly bringing back these "exposed horses" would really tick me off and I'd let the BO know my thoughts.

I can tell all of you that I truly understand the importance of keeping the spread of this disease at bay. But I'm also a positive thinker and am hoping and praying that myself as well as all of the other owners/trainers/riders that pulled out of that area today and yesterday were well informed and part of an educated and clear decision. Believe me when I say that if they told me my horse needed to stay down there I would have found a way but they gave us the OK and I did not budget a 30 day over-stay....
    My horse will not move anywhere for a long while and her temperature will continue to be monitored for weeks. I understand that you guys think that everyone is going to be very careless and I'm sure there are some that will be and will have their horses showing at various other shows but there are some of us that are aware and DO think of others and will keep their horses at home to be better safe than sorry.

I can tell all of you that I truly understand the importance of keeping the spread of this disease at bay. But I'm also a positive thinker and am hoping and praying that myself as well as all of the other owners/trainers/riders that pulled out of that area today and yesterday were well informed and part of an educated and clear decision. Believe me when I say that if they told me my horse needed to stay down there I would have found a way but they gave us the OK and I did not budget a 30 day over-stay....
    My horse will not move anywhere for a long while and her temperature will continue to be monitored for weeks. I understand that you guys think that everyone is going to be very careless and I'm sure there are some that will be and will have their horses showing at various other shows but there are some of us that are aware and DO think of others and will keep their horses at home to be better safe than sorry.
    Positive thinking and good intentions does not keep other horses from becoming ill. You are being extremely selfish and short sighted. To the person who suggested that any owner would act this way when faced with this situation, that is not so. If I had a horse in Ocala right now, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would have the horse quarantined IN OCALA for the duration of the quarantine and would not bring it home to expose other people's horses until I was BEYOND POSITIVE that my horse was not infected.

Some people!

So all the vets involved say quarantine is not necessary beyond the horses in tent 7. The state vets say its not necessary.

I get being super careful, but I wouldn't condemn folks for following the advice of both the state and their personal vets.

It seems appropriate to bring the horses home to a self quarantine situation similar to any new horse coming into a new barn.

Some people indeed. I think I would take my advice from the vet closest to the situation and ill leave it at that.