The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm not hating on denim on denim it's one of my go to looks. Just poking a bit of fun at the "Canadian tuxedo"! Haha!

My sister married a Canadian, and for some reason decided to have her wedding in December. In Winnipeg. It was somewhere around -30F. Needless to say, I didn't get to see much scenery. Even the trip from the church to the car and from the car to the hotel was painful!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Um...well, I grew up in the Detroit suburbs, so "visiting" Canada was nothing special, as far as Ontario goes. It was closer than driving to the north side of Detroit. Toronto's okay, I guess, I've been a couple times (saw Colm Wilkinson in POTO when it was playing there.) I've driven across Ontario from Niagra to Sarnia/Port Huron and the lakeshore/wine region is stunning. I wish I'd had time to stop but I was in the process of moving (going to my parents it was shorter to cut across than go south around Lake Erie.)

I had one day, BARELY, in Halifax on my cruise. It's GORGEOUS. Peggy's Cove is probably the most beautiful seaside I've ever been and I very much want to go back and see more of Nova Scotia. Yes, it's a bit on the cold side, but this was last summer and when we left New York City it had been 110, so I was good with 70.

My brother has been to Montreal twice and says it's beautiful, interesting, with great food.

I was also going to say Peggy's Cove. I thought Nova Scotia was one of the most beautiful places ever. I loved the history of Halifax too.

My family did a Canadian cruise when I was in high school and it was pretty neat. We sailed up the St. Lawrence seaway. It wasn't the Carribean like I would have preferred, but it was cool. I also really liked the city of Quebec.

Montreal and Toronto just seemed liked big cities to me so I wasn't that interested in them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Goodness...I don't honestly know how many times I've been in Canada as it used to be our family summer vacation to all migrate with our campers and tents to Lake Constance in Ontario (near Renfrew or Eganville)...I think the little town near there is Dacre. Anyway, there are pics of us up there from when I was a baby to a teenager. Loved it...we were great friends with the farmer and his family that owned the cabin and the land we rented.

I went up several times when we lived in New York also...to Toronto several times. I never did get up in to Quebec...a regret...but I've seen a good bit of the Ontario Province.

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    I grew up and spent much of my adult life in southwestern lower Michigan, so plenty of time logged in Ontario, both from crossing at Detroit and crossing from the Upper Peninsula. I remember as a little one (4 or 5) when our family visited the Fort Erie area; it wasn't until decades later that I discovered a branch of her family had lived there after coming from Scotland in the late 1700s until some of them moved to Michigan in the mid-1800s. Unfortunately, my mom had passed away by then and there were no other relatives to ask about the connection.

About ten years ago, I spent a long weekend in Vancouver at a psychology convention and just loved it. I also spent a fantastic week in Toronto at a guitar festival/workshop 20 years ago (I can hardly believe it's been that long) and adored the city at that time.
    You might have some interesting finds in the genealogy resources of the Fort Erie Public Library - http://historic.library.forterie.ca/...istoric/cr.nsf and http://www.fepl.ca/localhistory.php . did some research on our home - the property usedf to be owned by Quakers at one point! if you find anything you'd like pics of just give me a shout
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    I've been to Niagara Falls and kayaking on the Ottowa River. The kayaking trip was amazing. The river was great, but I remember really big bugs when we were camping.
    Yep, them thar's our national bird. Maybe not quite as dignified as yer American eagle but we're as proud of 'em as maple syrup and hockey.

Foxtrot's - I'm from your town. *waves*

Disclaimer: I am Canadian, grew up here and still live here.

Last year, I took the VIA rail train from Toronto (which is a bit northeast of me) to Vancouver, stayed in Vancouver a week, then back on the train. It was truly a spectacular trip. I hadn't been out west before so it was a great way to see more of my country. Amazing to see the difference between the lakes and trees of northern Ontario, to the plains and river valleys of the prairies, to the Rockies and the rivers and foothills and more mountains!

VIA often has 50% off sales on - I highly suggest the trip. In fact, I'm going again this year, but planning on heading to Vancouver Island as well as the Okanagan Valley while I'm in B.C.

Previously I've also been east to the Maritimes, mostly in New Brunswick and PEI. Also absolutely gorgeous.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    You might have some interesting finds in the genealogy resources of the Fort Erie Public Library - http://historic.library.forterie.ca/...istoric/cr.nsf and http://www.fepl.ca/localhistory.php . did some research on our home - the property usedf to be owned by Quakers at one point! if you find anything you'd like pics of just give me a shout
    Thanks, Dee, I will definitely check that link out. That branch of the family was Quaker, in fact. The bit of information that I traced down about them is on a hard drive from a computer that turned up its heels that I have to have transferred.

I have! Vancouver's lovely, and Montreal is one of my most favorite cities at the moment.

Been to Toronto for a quick weekend but it was for a weekend with a beau. Don't remember much.

Took the boat road from Seattle to Victoria and spent the night in a B&B, loved it and the area. Spent another weekend in Vancouver during a long layover in Seattle. Enjoyed it!

I have traveled to a lot of places in Canada. Having been raised in the Boston area, summer family vacations includes New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. Love PEI! As an adult I've visited Calgary (including Banff and Spruce Meadows), Vancouver and Victoria for pleasure, Ottawa and Winnipeg on business. Going back to Banff this year for vacation!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I've always wanted to explore Canada more in depth but I've only been to Niagara Falls and Toronto. Enjoyed myself in both places.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

As a disclaimer, I live in Nova Scotia. I love it here. If any of you guys come to visit, I would recommend seeing Peggy's Cove, driving (or biking) the Cabot Trail and going whale watching. Of course there's other stuff to do here too but those are the big ones. Also, the leaves and scenery are absolutely gorgeous in the fall when the colours come out!

My siblings live in Montreal and I think it's fantastic. There are so many little (and big) stores to go shopping in and so much to do in the evening. The history is great, as is the architecture - especially the old city. If you go a little bit outside of the city you will end up in horse country and there are some pretty nice ponies to look at in the fields!

During my high school years, I worked on the Washington State Ferries sailing from Anacortes, WA to Victoria, and through the San Juan Islands. Some days, I would go to Canada twice a day! Besides that, I've been to Whistler many times, both summer and winter, and to many horse show at Thunderbird and Milner Downs. I keep a separate wallet with Canadian $. I've been to Spruce once for the Masters, and went to the Olympics in Calgary. In my college years, we would go to clubs in Vancouver because the drinking age was 19 vs. 21 at home. DH spent a couple weeks rafting up on the Nahani.

My family used to go up to the Rocky Mountains outside Calgary when I was a kid--it is absolutely gorgeous! We usually went during the summer and did a ton of hiking, horse-back riding, etc., but once we went in the winter. My brother and I had never been downhill skiing before, and after an hour-long lesson on a bunny slope we met up with some guys from the ski patrol who decided they were going to teach us how to ski. They took us down a black diamond our first time off the lift! That was terrifying/thrilling and at times pretty darn close to deadly, but thankfully we both lived to tell the tale

I'd like to go back sometime (in the summer!!!), as it really does have breathtakingly beautiful scenery--lots of mountains and lakes and wilderness.

I have been to Montreal many times. I had a boyfriend there back in the '80s, so it was a very regular trip. I've gone back a number of times since, with friends (for the Jazz Festival) and for family vacations. It is a very nice city and it really feels like you've gone somewhere different, without a super long trip...big excitement for kids to use different money and hear another language, without springing for an expensive trip to Europe. The flight from Boston is under an hour, but it's usually faster to drive, with all the TSA security crap these days. Five hours to the bridge from my house and a very pretty drive through Vermont.