The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I go maybe once a year, to Montreal and Quebec city. I love it there. People are friendly, food is great, lots to do day and night, and the Old Quebec is very cute with a European feel. Most of the time I go in April, and I've been surprised at times by very mild, beautiful weather.
    If it wasn't for the cold, long winter, and the bugs in summer, I wouldn't mind moving there.
    I would love to go to Gaspésie, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward island.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

2 members found this post helpful.

Became a landed immigrant at Montreal in 1956. Took the transcontinental train to Vancouver. I still remember the dramatic scenery even though I was only 2. (At that time, there was no transcontinental highway. To get from Monteal to Vancouver by car you had to drive through the US.)

Lived in Vancouver (UBC- my father was part of the brain drain) until 1959 when we moved to NY IBM)

Have since visited Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Ottowa, and Vancouver on business.

Been to motorcycle races at Mosport and Ste. Jovite (Mt Tramblant).

Have been to Alberta, BC, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia on vaation, and i have a half cousin who lives just ouside Lunenburg.

My husband has relatives near Buffalo (right on the lake, we can see Canada). When we visit we often go to Canada for a day.

We sometmes talk about retiring to Canada.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

I went there when I was 16 to go to Spruce Meadows. The hotel we stayed at was the same hotel that a lot of the riders stayed at. which was pretty neat. Also, because of my Dad's position at Delta Airlines at the time, we got to sit in the Spruce Meadows Sky box, which was WAY beyond cool. I forget the name of the GP event, that we saw, but it was one of their biggest GP's of the year. The people were all so nice, and friendly, and it was just beyond gorgeous. Loved it!!!

I grew up on the border of Quebec. As a teen I went to MOntreal dozens of times to concerts. As an adult I used to go there for weekends now and again. I have always loved going to Montreal. Good food, good ppl. Love Old Montreal a lot. Been on many carriage rides through there, well kept, well treated horses from what I could tell. Very happy acting, friendly. I had a favorite I"d look for each time, Brownie, and her owner.

Traveled throughout much of Quebec, always had a nice time while doing so. Language barrier a bit difficult but have always found the ppl there to be very patient and friendly.

My worst experiences in Quebec all involved going up to bring home Canadian foals from the urine farms in the early to mid 70's. Horrible , horrible place, I try to forget about it but nope, it's still all quite clear unfortunately.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I drove over to the Canadian side of the falls from Buffalo as a teenager. It was much prettier on that side, and the people were nice.

I tried to convince DH that we should get married in Banff, but nobody on his side had passports. Still plan on going someday because it looks amazing. I would also love to do PEI and Nova Scotia
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

The Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia is gorgeous.

4 members found this post helpful.

I've been twice, to Montreal and Quebec, but they were for ski trips in high school and i can't say I spent much time sober.... ahem. What I do remember of Quebec City was that it was beautiful!
    I've also been to Vancouver while staying with my mom's family, but I was probably two years old (and once again when I was 5) so all i remember is a cold boat ride :-)
    wish I could be more helpful lol!
    I would LOVE to see Halifax and that area. My paternal grandparents were both Canadians from Halifax and it'd be cool to see the area and all the many strangers with the same last name!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

My favorite outdoor vacation destination in Canada is the Lake Louise/Moraine Lake area. Hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, breathtaking scenery - it has it all. And if you get tired of Lake Louise, you can take a day to drive up the Icefields Parkway or go down to Banff.

My favorite urban vacation destination in Canada is Vancouver, B.C. I love pretty much everything about it.

Canadians and Canada are fabulous. ALERT: I'm Canadian. :-) I grew up in Halifax and also lived in Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

3 members found this post helpful.

I love Canada. We have spent many of our vacations over the last 15 years there. We fell in love with Spruce Meadows and have gone back many times for the tournaments. We love visiting the Canadian rockies, and vacationed one year with friends on Vancouver Island. Many years ago we visited Montreal, when I was bike racing, and had a great time there.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Bring your snowshoes and skiis, lots of warm clothing because we all live in igloos, we eat moose, elk, venison, we wear sealskin, we have a lot of wild spaces.....dontch know?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

6 members found this post helpful.

I grew up and spent much of my adult life in southwestern lower Michigan, so plenty of time logged in Ontario, both from crossing at Detroit and crossing from the Upper Peninsula. I remember as a little one (4 or 5) when our family visited the Fort Erie area; it wasn't until decades later that I discovered a branch of her family had lived there after coming from Scotland in the late 1700s until some of them moved to Michigan in the mid-1800s. Unfortunately, my mom had passed away by then and there were no other relatives to ask about the connection.

About ten years ago, I spent a long weekend in Vancouver at a psychology convention and just loved it. I also spent a fantastic week in Toronto at a guitar festival/workshop 20 years ago (I can hardly believe it's been that long) and adored the city at that time.

But we can't go to Walmart and buy a gun... so that should say something about our safety. We do have background checks!
    I love Canada. I came here at age 22 and never went back to France. My problem is that you have to drive so darn far to see any real change in landscape... In Europe, a few hours and architecture, landscape, food, accents, languages are different. I do miss that!
    I got used to the weather, but would rather have cold temperatures than hot and humid.
    I love Quebec City, the Gaspé. Montreal is a big city and well, what do you expect from big city dwellers who have to commute day in and day out.
    I am only a short hour from TO and avoid going at all costs.

ETA: Going to Montreal on Thursday to see my grand daughters! Riding the Via rail since the weather is iffy and it's a long trip by myself!
    Last edited by FalseImpression; Feb. 24, 2013 at 05:56 PM.

I have been to Canada a couple times to Nova Scotia & New Brunswick. Beautiful places.

And much warmer than Wisconsin...LOL!

I love Peggy's Cove. I like wandering around Halifax. Apparently I look native enough since everytime I was in Halifax, I got stopped for directions every few minutes.

New Brunswick is also beautiful.

I met a group of horsewomen when I went up, so everyone was super friendly and awesome. I got to learn how to ride sidesaddle, drive a horse, ride an awesome barrel racer, etc. Awesome!

And I drank too much Timmy's.

Couldn't help but visit as I live in Michigan!. I apparently have lots of distant cousins in Canada too. The towns across the border that I've visted are always much cleaner that the US towns across the water from them. Loved the Niagra area and wished we had more time to spend in it's outlying area and its wineries. The X-country skiing in the WaWa area was fantastic (can't remember the name of the ski area we were at, tho). The people seem a bit distant but friendly enough. That highway out of Windor to Toronto, though, is one scary drive!
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley.

I love Canada! I lived in Ottawa for about 4 months (until I got deported ) My parents came to visit me up there around Christmas time, and we visited Old Montreal, which was beautiful with all the snow and Christmas lights. I miss Canada!

If anyone's in Toronto this coming weekend, come see the Dachshund U.N. at the Harbourfront Centre! An Australian artist is staging an installation that is a meeting of the United Nations, with all the countries represented by dachshunds. Bringing both of my dachsies up to do the Friday night and Saturday afternoon show. (;
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I've been to Niagara Falls and kayaking on the Ottowa River. The kayaking trip was amazing. The river was great, but I remember really big bugs when we were camping.

To fit in up here, the trick is to wear denim on denim and listen to a lot of Kansas. Kidding, that's just me.

I'm from the west coast of Canada so I'm kind of cheating by answering, but I prefer Southern Alberta.

So - what is wrong with denim on denim, especially in Langley, the horse capital of Canada??? Or timbits?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique