The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many of you have visited Canada?

Did you love it? Tell us about where you visited and what you did?
    If you haven't yet visited Canada, why not? Too far, too cold?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

We live where we can see Canada, so we don't count. In fact, I thought Canada was a state until I was seven or eight.

We go to Toronto, Beamsville/Jordan/NOTL, and Fort Erie all the time. Went to Montreal once and need to go again in the summer...
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

several times

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    several times
    And............
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I am a 6+ hour drive from Canada and have visited several times, both to vacation and to horse show! British Columbia is a gorgeous province, I've been on the mainland as well as Vancouver Island--which is unbelievably beautiful--wild, forested, often wet (well, it is the Pacific Northwest!). Easy to navigate around Vancouver BC, great museums, aquariums, skiing, hiking you name it!

I'd love to go to interior BC and take a trip to Banff and the Canadian Rockies.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    And............
    There are almost 1.9 million firearms licence holders in Canada

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

and none shot at me while there, nor have any one from Knetucky

3 members found this post helpful.

There are almost 1.9 million firearms licence holders in Canada

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm

and none shot at me while there, nor have any one from Knetucky
    Point taken. Except that no one here carries guns around with them during their daily routine. Lots of hunter types up here, sadly. I'll leave it up to you to research the number of licensed to carry concealed , which will be miniscule.
    Last edited by up-at-5; Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: adding concealed
    ― Anna Sewell

Only a few times, but it is breath taking. The wilderness is amazing!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Canada is just so varied by region (as is the USA) so it would be difficult to generalize about Canada after visiting one region. What region interests you ? That would help.

BTW There are areas of the US that are generally colder than several areas of Canada. ;-)

My hubby was from New Jersey before moving up here, and there are parts of Canada he would pass on

Pass: Any border cities (generally grungy) unless you like outlet shopping, any areas outside Toronto (unless you go 3+ hours north, where it becomes forested/lake cottage country and is very pretty), Toronto itself (people are rude).

Definitely see: Old Montreal (think cobblestone streets and trendy shopping), Jasper in Calgary (mountains), most of British Columbia (beautiful old forests) and Vancouver (shopping).
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Last April C-19 amended the Firearms Act to scrap the long-gun registry, it did not reinstate an old requirement for store ledgers to be kept... so there is less control in Canada then before, I think I better keep my tourism dollars in this side of the border

Shown horses in Regina, Saskatchewan and have had clients in Toronto and Montreal

1 members found this post helpful.

I love Victoria! One of my favorite cities. I've been all around B.C. but I'm from the PNW and love this type of area anyway. Went to Pendicton once, rafted the Frazier (sp?) River and did a host of other totally fun stuff on that trip. The Canada I have seen is beautiful and the people were nice. There are many beautiful places in the US also, and it seems cheaper here. You lot have some high taxes!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I want to go to Vancouver. It's like Hong Kong, but in Canada.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I want to go to Vancouver. It's like Hong Kong, but in Canada.
    Glad you said it and not me.
    ― Anna Sewell

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Well, it's true. Vancouver's population has tons of former Hong Kong residents and they were responsible for the development boom. Vancouver is also the core of Canada's film and TV industry so many of my fave shows and actors are there.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Montreal has the worst weather- it's not nice there any time of year, and the French people are really unpleasant and rude, I suggest not going. Vancouver is lovely- I wouldn't mind living there; Ottawa we skated on some frozen river in a freezing cold outdoor festival and had a great time; Toronto was weirdly clean and polite, didn't seem to have any character to it at all.

I'm sure if you go you'll have a totally different experience and thoughts.

Last April C-19 amended the Firearms Act to scrap the long-gun registry, it did not reinstate an old requirement for store ledgers to be kept... so there is less control in Canada then before, I think I better keep my tourism dollars in this side of the border

Yes, especially with the high frequency we have here with mass shootings. I mean , we can't even send our kids to school here without being afraid someone is going come in and shoot them. So yes, please keep your tourism dollars on your side of the border, Canada is just too dangerous of a place to travel in.

5 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I'm so confused--I feel like there is a question being answered and a political sub-plot that I have no clue how it got on this thread. Did I miss another post? Thread? Sigh...

Border crossing can be slow on weekends and holidays at the Blaine crossing in WA--we've learned to go farther east to cross at Sumas--especially if hauling horses. Vancouver is a huge city, very culturally diverse, and, yes, home to many Chinese immigrants and, therefore, fabulous Chinese food!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Um...well, I grew up in the Detroit suburbs, so "visiting" Canada was nothing special, as far as Ontario goes. It was closer than driving to the north side of Detroit. Toronto's okay, I guess, I've been a couple times (saw Colm Wilkinson in POTO when it was playing there.) I've driven across Ontario from Niagra to Sarnia/Port Huron and the lakeshore/wine region is stunning. I wish I'd had time to stop but I was in the process of moving (going to my parents it was shorter to cut across than go south around Lake Erie.)

I had one day, BARELY, in Halifax on my cruise. It's GORGEOUS. Peggy's Cove is probably the most beautiful seaside I've ever been and I very much want to go back and see more of Nova Scotia. Yes, it's a bit on the cold side, but this was last summer and when we left New York City it had been 110, so I was good with 70.

My brother has been to Montreal twice and says it's beautiful, interesting, with great food.

Yes, we went to Vancouver Island and Whistler one summer and ended in Horse Fly BC where I picked up a puppy to take back to TX. We put a lot of miles on our rent car but it was beautiful. I called it "Norway in English". LOL