The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool You need a saddle....what type? Sorry. Yet another saddle thread.

The horse is medium wide-ish. Rider likes narrow twist. Got a shoulder freedom need. Need forward flap with thigh block and knee rolls and saddle has to sit balanced on a broad back. No monoflaps or long billets.
    I cannot afford a tremendously expensive saddle (one that could buy two or three Canter prospects, lets' say.) Used is OK.
    This is NOT a wide or extra wide horse.
    I have tried four saddles with no luck. I am open to suggestions!
    Thornhill.
    Prestige.
    Toulouse.
    Ovation (which is my own and of course doesn't fit.
    Currently riding in a CC saddle which isn't very secure for me. I like more support. I need all the help I can get.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

A student just bought a used Cardanel - wow! I rode the NoLongerFatPaintMare in it...student almost did not get it back!

So I have ordered a used one to try, and will let you know.

The saddle was soft, comfortable, and fit my long long thigh. I've never ridden in a saddle with a thigh block, and thought I would hate it, but after a moment or two didn't notice it.

I, too, am on a limited budget. Student's saddle was $1k (used), the one I have ordered is $1500 - was a demo saddle.

What's a broad back? Not A framed? Flat vs curvy?

What balance point do you like? Behind the motion or forward balance point?

Which models of those saddles did you try? Not all models of the same brand fit the same.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Tough to make any meaningful recommendation w/o seeing the horse, or at least a template and photo. Straight back or dippy? Big wither, moderate wither, or low/no wither? Dips below/behind the wither? All of those issues need to be considered as well as width.

Based on the existing info, however, I can say that a saddle with shorter tree points (most made in the UK fall into that category, as do the Passiers and some of the Stubbens) will provide shoulder freedom. Knee roll and calf block are optional on most saddles. Some with a more forward flap that you might find used are the Black Country Ricochet and Quantum, Albion K2, Kent and Masters jump (which retails new for about $1500-$1600) and the County Conquest, Innovation or Stabilizer XTR.

2 members found this post helpful.

My Ideal has a fairly narrow twist for the UK based saddles (I have a monoflap but the dual flaps are good too). The same general fit type as most UK made saddles (wider/flatter backs, can be fit to horses with withers ect)

My sister's horse has had some issues with needing freedom in the shoulder and ultimately she ended up with a black country quantum that has been wonderful for him (Not idea how the twist etc is on it)

I don't seem to fit in a Stubben. Nearly all my life I have not been fond of the seat.
    Do you have an Ideal jumping or dressage saddle?

I know everyone recommends the Black Country but I don't like the seats on them and I don't think the shape is going to work for this horse.
    I will try and get some photos of his back, and someone can recommend something!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Which CC are you riding him in now?

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    I don't seem to fit in a Stubben. Nearly all my life I have not been fond of the seat.
    Do you have an Ideal jumping or dressage saddle?

I know everyone recommends the Black Country but I don't like the seats on them and I don't think the shape is going to work for this horse.
    I will try and get some photos of his back, and someone can recommend something!
    I have an Ideal jump saddle, my mom rides in an ideal dressage saddle.

The jump is an Ideal Impala (monoflap) but I believe that they are making a dual flap version as well. Same general fit as a BC that was tried on my horse, but a much narrower twist, and a flatter seat.

ETA: New Ideals are on the more expensive side, but I got a super deal on mine brand new from Hastilow USA (half price pretty much)