The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default words of wisdom?

hey guys. this one is no controversy, no drama....just fun.

so, you know this is my tack armoire:
    http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/100_0152.jpg

If you notice, there is a neat horizontal area at the top that is somewhat molding-framed....I guess? its about 4 inches tall....

I've always thought it would be so neat to customize this with a horsey quote? the barn name and 'est' date? something?.....

can I ask: if it were yours, and you had this same idea, what would put there?

TIA!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

What? Have we all been toting pitchforks this fine morning?( The link did work.)
    I went out and bought a little plastic ey plaque for above the window of a storage building we built, it fit in there nicely.

There are plaques around here, the big TB farms get them made by license plate type manufacturers and they fit a 6" wide board fence so you'll see them at Shadwell and a few other places - I think The Ghetto Barn would be cute like that. I like the way they look much better than the routed/burned wooden signs everybody has for their vacation cabins. going to google street view to see if I can't show you one - well the intentional fuzzing spoils the effect but here's one http://maps.google.com/maps?q=700+Ro...81.35,,0,10.92

This? http://www.buildasign.com/SignReview...74383366413D3D
    Last edited by ReSomething; Feb. 24, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Re: yeah? for some reason I had big issues with loading the link...so I just went back and retyped it, and now ? seems to be working fine.......

quote/idea is for the top portion of the armoire.....(yes, I should measure the height to be sure of useage area)....so, I was thinking some of those 'calligraphy' type stencils or press ons? for wall /border quotes? or, even nice brass nail on lettering as in for mailboxes, etc? Is this the spot you thought I was talkin' about?
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Yes, the top of the armoire, but really those street/fence signs would look good right above the outside door and something like the press ons for the armoire - problem with press ons is they are SO hard to center and keep level and attractively spaced free hand. If you have a good source with nice calligraphy it could be really pretty.

I've made some nice house markers with just adhesive stuff I picked up from the hardware store and artifacts from on the property, but outdoors they don't stick for more than two, three seasons.

Lillian Vernon has a billion little plaques with cute sayings that can be personalized, I think that's where my rising sun plaque came from that I stuck over the window outside on my storage building.
    Incredible Invisible

Thanks Re! .... Yeah, I'll check em out. I'd really? like the idea of adorning the wood 'channel' area of the top of the armoire to really 'customize it'.... but was hoping (!) folks would chime in with ideas of 'what' context they'd think would be good/fun to put here? I mean: " My Barn My Rules" or.... "Eat Sleep Ride"....or "Blankety blank blank Farm est. 200?" ---
    c'mon, guys! share some fun ideas!
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

and, here? is the source I think I'll use once the quote or content is decided on!
    http://wordsanywhere.com/index.htm
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Is there a type of riding you do that would naturally go with a saying? Heels Down (maybe a bad example, but you get the idea) or something?

I am in love with the saying about "Unattended children will be fed caffeine and given a puppy," or however it goes.

Personally, I need to do a better job at stopping and "smelling the roses" and not so much focusing on "what next." Maybe there is a saying for you that will remind you of how awesome it is that you are bringing your horse's home, etc.
    Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; Feb. 26, 2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: shorten
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

So you're looking for a motto of sorts? "Home is where the horse is" type of stuff?
    I'm not creative like that but there are a couple of horsey chotchke catalogs that sell western type wear and horse themed decor and there might be some ideas there.
    Incredible Invisible

Horses leave hoofprints on your heart........
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Default Home is where my horses are... or

God Bless my Sweet Husband, he's married to a Horse Nut.

I have both those plaques in different entry ways.

Seems to work.

thanks you guys! yes, all those are kinda what I am gleaning ideas/opinions on! (y'know, sorta like if you were putting up a motivational saying somewhere on a wall in your house....but in this case, its in your barn!) (and Trot trot...good point (!) about home horse keeping!....in re: type of riding: a little of everything...showing: dressage/hunter. Recreational: trail and even western seat sometimes ....so pretty much across the board)
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

How about painting a strip of wood that will fit with chalk board paint? Then you could change it whenever the mood strikes. Pinterest has recipes for chalk paint in all colors you can make yourself.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    How about painting a strip of wood that will fit with chalk board paint? Then you could change it whenever the mood strikes. Pinterest has recipes for chalk paint in all colors you can make yourself.
    LOVE that idea. I'm going to chalk paint an entire wall (black) in my kitchen I think. I love drawing random things.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

chalkboard paint is a cool idea! hmmm...have to think on that---in my head I was going more for a more formal piece of furniture look...(as in, I intend to find either an antique brass or at least reproduction more ornate locking hasp, too...so I saw the calligraphy in gold across the dark stained wood....)
    Either way, keep the content/saying ideas coming!
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

here's one site with lots of sayings...
    http://hoofbeats-in-heaven.com/quotes/
    I'm finding? many that I 'like' I would be only using a portion of vs. the whole thing....such as I did like "...rider and horse are not joined by tack, but by trust." (seemed kinda cool for a tack armoire)
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett