The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I feel so guilty, not looking for advice just need to share

Gosh I feel so guilty I just need to let it off my chest. Essentially my moms horse will be put to sleep and it's my fault

Two weeks ago I had tacked up my horse and he was standing on the gateway while I picked his hooves like we always do. Anyway this particular day he decides to walk off and before I can grab the rein he is trotting cantering off down the driveway where mom is riding her new horse of 4 months he's very sweet green 7 year old of mixed breeding but nothing special. Anyway my horse galloping riderless towards him spooks him and he spins around takes off dumping my mom who has later broken her arm. The two horses gallop off together and we find my horse in the next paddock cantering around it seems like moms horse has jumped the gate and carried on. We caught my horse and he luckily only had a small scrape on his leg but by the time we get to the other one he has a huge gash on his stifle and can see muscle sinew hanging out it looks horrendous. So mum goes to hospital and I stay with the horse and wait for the vet who fixes him up best she can. They take x days which come back clear and she says to rinse it with saline x2 daily and apply herbal active honey to it. Now 2 weeks later the horse is still not weight bearing on his leg although the gash is healing well... She is talking about putting him to sleep as he is still on bute and is obviously in pain so I can see where she is coming from. I feel so guilty because this horse is so sweet and I caused this mess!
    Thanks guys I'm not looking for sympathy or advice I just needed to talk about it

Hopefully when the vet comes back out for a check up they can give you some hope. Hope everything turns out.

I'm sorry to hear about your horse...did your moms horse get any antibiotics? Perhaps it's not healing properly if there's an underlying infection....can you try other pain meds? There's also some great products for bad wounds...Vetericyn, Banixx, and Well Horse just to name a few...also some great supplements out there too for injury recovery/pain management etc ...you might not have to put him down??

5 members found this post helpful.

Yes he's been on antibiotics I'm not sure of the names but they were strong ones according to the vet

If the wound is healing I'm not sure I understand the rush? Wounds like you describe can take quite awhile to heal especially when they involve muscle. I wouldn't expect a horse to be weight bearing at this point. Did the vet mention if any tendons, ligaments, etc were involved? Accidents happen don't feel too bad and recovery can be slow sometimes. The positive is that the wound is healing!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    If the wound is healing I'm not sure I understand the rush? Wounds like you describe can take quite awhile to heal especially when they involve muscle. I wouldn't expect a horse to be weight bearing at this point. Did the vet mention if any tendons, ligaments, etc were involved? Accidents happen don't feel too bad and recovery can be slow sometimes. The positive is that the wound is healing!
    Sounds like a serious injury and 2 weeks isn't very much time. You can always put him down, in the meantime the pain is there for a reason, to keep him from using it to much. Provided he doesn't get laminitis or founder I'd just stay the course!

Hope your Mom heals faster!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think two weeks is jumping the gun a bit. Realistically, that's not that long for a wound that involves muscle damage to heal. I'd understand the concern if he was still not weight-bearing closer to the month mark. Give him some more time; if the vet hasn't come back out since the initial accident, maybe have them come for a visit and get an opinion on progress.

It's not entirely the same, but when I broke my collar bone, I was told I could take it out of the sling after three weeks. Since it had broken twice (it's in an s shape and juts out quite a bit), it had done quite a bit of damage to the surrounding muscles and nerves. I think that was more the issue than the bone itself, though I'm no doctor (or vet). It took awhile to regain the ability to use my arm properly, and it's still quite a bit weaker than my other arm.

I hope that analogy makes some sense. Anyone with a medical background, feel free to discount my theory. But really, give him some more time. Two weeks is not that long.

3 members found this post helpful.

However it turns out, don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen, and horses can be dangerous and unpredictable. Just focus on staying positive for yourself and your mom. That's what she needs, feeling guilty won't help you or anyone. *hugs* sounds like a hard situation.
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

I am so sorry. I promise you if you did a poll, virtually everyone one of us has done something like that. We had something like that happen on the beach when my horse dumped me (in the water in January) and my daughter's horse got away from my husband. They ended up in the middle of the highway.

Hang in there and hopefully things will turn around with a little more time. Jingles for you mom's horse and a cyber hug for you!

Injuries in the stifle area, particularly falls can be months before a horse comes back sound.

It is unfortunate that horses are horses.

this from one of out fellow COTHers.

Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I think your mother's horse needs a lot more time.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I wouldn't give up hope that soon after an accident. Bone bruisies tske time to heal. Good luck.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Did they take a swab to make sure the right a/b was prescribed? I say that because my horse had a dreadful accident - impaled! - and it was looking problematic so they took a swab, changed the a/b and she healed within the month. I felt a bit cross because I'd suggested they maybe need to check but vets are busy and can be distracted.

Good luck, we feel for you.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

First, stuff happens with horses everyday and there is not one person on here that has not second guessed a decision or an outcome. Accidents happen.

Second, I agree that I would give that kind of an injury a little more time.

Best of luck.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

My first thought is to wonder if your mom is looking for an excuse to get rid of the horse (perhaps subconsciously) because she came off him and hurt herself and won't be able to trust him again.

My second thought - I had a horse who stripped the skin off his stifle over an area larger than my spread hand. That was just skin, but as it healed it went through phases of being very tight and non-elastic and the horse did appear painfully lame because it restricted his movement so much. With a larger, deeper wound I can easily see that the horse might appear to be in more pain than he actually is because he's restricting his movement in order to avoid the painful movement of the wound area.

The stripped stifle injury was totally my fault, and I was doing something with him that most people wouldn't do, and some would condemn me for doing. The stifle healed, but it was a very long time before I could say the horse's mental state was close to back to normal. I both beat myself up over it, and considered giving up on him ever recovering mentally - which made me feel awful too.

I'd give all of you some more time. I hope things work out. (((hugs)))

1 members found this post helpful.

Honestly I would get a second opinion... A vet that perscribes honey for a wound leaves me scratching my head.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    Honestly I would get a second opinion... A vet that perscribes honey for a wound leaves me scratching my head.
    With regards to the honey, I had a vet prescribe sugar for my gelding's wound a few years ago. In addition to antibiotics, the wound was packed 2x daily for about 4 weeks with regular granulated sugar. Considering you could stick your hand inside the wound, it healed quickly and without a scar. Made for some lovely images for several weeks though... (http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~sek54/652/subistory.html)

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    Treating with honey is really not that crazy:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23216146

One of many studies that have been published.

I'd be concerned if honey was the only infection/prevention course, but the OP did state the horse was on antibiotics as well.

OP, it's not your fault. Accidents are accidents. But as others have said, 2 weeks is a bit quick to make a judgement on an injury like that. I'd give it more time and consider something different for pain management. Maybe ask your vet about previcox to use while he's healing if the bute doesn't seem to be doing the trick. As long as he is eating and drinking and doing his best to get around, I'd leave him be and let him heal.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

OP- These injuries take time! My horse ripped open his leg, all the way through the tendon sheath. It was 6 months of slow, slow healing. Lots of antibiotics, lots of keeping it clean (infection is bad). Anyway, 6 months of healing, then slowly brought back to work. 100% recovery! Back to his work as an eventer.

2 weeks isn't a long time. See what the vet says. And stuff happens, carrying around that guilt isn't going to help anyone. Use that guilt to go buy him a bag of carrots- I guarantee you will be forgiven by the time he finishes the bag.

Missed the post that said he was on antibiotics. I agree, way to soon to tell whether he will heal properly or not.