The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In the topic of naming babies or pets, potential nicknames play a big role in whether I think a name is usable or 'good'... If I don't like the nicknames or they're hard to come by, then i don't care for the name. If the nickname options are great, then i like the name that much more.
    I also will lengthen names in order to come up with nicknames (adding an 'ie' or an 's' to the end).
    I try not to give nicknames or shorten names from what people tell me is their name. Like if the person isn't my child (i have no kids, so or a kid I know well), i wouldn't ever knowingly call like a Kathy 'kath' or John 'Johnny' (assuming they introduced themselves as Kathy and john).
    I don't really use or have many non-name based nicknames/pet names. Like the Wrong Way nickname, i was called u-turn for a little bit when I first started jumper courses at the barn in high school. And pilot/crater maker after a fall that put me in a helicopter, lol. But other than that there are only a few pet names I have and all from either MrB or my high school friends.
    Now my pets are a different story altogether. They have more nicknames and pet names than I can recall. Scuba is scoops, ubadooba, sewer rat, and many more. Our labrador has rolls of skin that fall over her collar, prompting the nickname Ol CB for chin balls. The younger aussie is 'key-yopper' for how his name sounds when we call him, and Lulu is very often luser or lulubell/luluhell, lucifer... the old girl doesn't have many nicknames because she's too dignified and well behaved to warrant them. The retriever goes by fife or pipe, fifey or pipey or fifermeister. The weimaraner is named yolo but is almost always Yo! (I think our neighbors think we're trying to get their attention!) When he's looking for trouble, he's Yoseph.
    Our fosters usually get called generic pet names since we don't feel the need to teach them a temporary name unless they'll be with us for extensive training or medical rehab stuff. So they're all yuppers, sweetie, little girl, chichi (ALL the Chihuahuas are chichi!), twiggy, and others.
    I was actually thinking about it the other day, because there are a few pet names I use that i don't know where they came from. The main one is chukkah. I guess that's a polo term, or similar? Don't know how, when or why I decided it was the perfect term of endearment for a puppy. My trainer calls her horse Chowder Man which has nothing to do with his name, but it's cute.

1 members found this post helpful.

Animals mostly. My coworker doesn't use nick names, she uses baby talk, so when we refer to a particular client she takes the last half of the business name and cutesies it up to something like picki wicki for picker. GAH!

Nope, the animals do not care and Streudel turns into stru Dell, the noodle, stru, stru stru, felix becomes flicks and flicksibubbles, snort is snortles and Crackerjack, bless his heart, is really cute and gets a LOT of cusswords.
    There are too many of them to name off all the animals.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

People call me:

Tiff
    Tiffers
    JiffyTiffy
    Tiff-Uh-Roo
    TifferWiffer

I have a lot of nicknames around friends and family.... There is only one nickname I don't like (a shortening of my given name that I just don't care for) and other than that, I don't really care. I once had a job where a coworker started calling me "Triple O G" (original gangsta) because of my legendary printer/copier repair skills. ;-) It stuck and I had that job for over 2 years. The whole office jokingly referred to me as "Triple" by the time I left; I loved it. (As I write this, I am wondering if it might have something to do with always being in military communities/environments, where nicknames are a matter of course.) At that job I also had coworkers we called "SuperLinda," "Dr. Jones," "Big Dog", "House", "Mary Mary", etc. That might be a military thing?

All of our animals have human names and nicknames. Grace Kelly is Gubby, Maera is Moose, Finnegan is Figgy, and Lucy is Lulu or Luey... or on bad days, Lucy-fur, which I think I read in a book somewhere.

As long as the nickname isn't derogatory or grating on the ears.... I like them!

Ooh, I want to hear some military nicknames.

A buddy of mine who did a stint in the Marines knew a guy who called everyone "duder," not dude. I have incorporated it into my repertoire. Imagine that said with a California accent.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Resomething, we had a foster dog named strudel :-) she was part German Shepherd, part (probably, said to be) dutch Shepherd so she and her sister were Strudel and Tulip. Strudel became strudeldoooo and Tulip was toolie or tutu :-)

The pets have many nicknames, but I'm not sure that counts. They all answer appropriately to their "proper" names as well as commonly used nicknames. They also all have full names which are used during times of great duress, and to a man respond to the use of their full names as any child should (Oh, sh**, she's serious!).

I generally do not GIVE nicknames, but I work in a bar with a large cast of regulars and when there are 3200 Johns in the place, nicknames help. None of our regulars have a problem with their given nicknames and often contribute to their creation.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I am currently 'PiC'
    Partner in Crime.

Too bad my PiC is moving this summer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I do NOT like nick names given to me. Fortunately for me, I have a name that simply cannot be shorted, altered, add 'ee' etc. I don't mind if others want to be called by a nick name though