The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spin-a-roosky: Do you give nicknames? Like 'em? Hate 'em?

I do give nicknames and that means I really like the person. Mine always are derived from the person's name, not just slapped on 'em.

My horse has many, all ever-more-distant iterations of his name. Nevertheless, everyone knows who I'm talking about.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

I call my son Pumpkin noodle.

My dogs have nicknames. I don't know how they've learned to respond to more than one name, but they do.

Pippin = Little Man
    Aunt Pittypat = Pitters or Ditters
    Xander = Doodle Bug
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

My bf comes up with some pretty awesome nicknames for me. They're way better than pet names. My current one is "naked weirdo" because I'm slightly a nudist in my own home
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

3 members found this post helpful.

If I change a person's name that means I like them, if I am always saying their proper name I am being very polite to someone I do not really care for.

I did have to apologize to a mother for changing her son's name to Issac though. His name was Zack, last name began with an I. I think it was the way I saw his name in the grade book. He was always good about it and eventually answered to Issac, it was then I got the Zack part right. LOL

I always call people by the name that they used when they were introduced to me. I think that is respectful of them. I hate when people try to give nicknames to other people.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

2 members found this post helpful.

Come from a family of nicknames...when there's that many people you mix up their actual names anyway.
    I have had a few as a little one, but then all through school it was mainly Beaker. (from the Muppet Show) Even my teachers called me that.
    At the barn it was Wrong Way often, I had a habit of going off course.
    My daughters have nicknames, the youngest still gets called Pumpkin Head Pencil Neck at home and she's 19. Also Pumpkin Head Leatherneck, Buffy, Kiztaka and McMap Slap.
    Friends I see most are Singe, Fuzznuts, Scuba Steve, Flip, SuperDave, Coon, Lawndart, Suzie Q, etc.
    Mr Blue's most unfortunate nickname came about years ago when we were watching Dances With Wolves not long after it was released. He was a little gassy that night. Since then his nickname has been Wind In His Pants.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I hate when people try to nick-name me. My name doesn't break down to shortened versions well at all and the only logical one is awful and morbid sounding. My dad is the only one that can get away with calling me that, anyone else is going to get told not to.

I have a co-worker that insists on nick-naming everyone and their brother, whether it's appropriate or not (i.e. people who are her superiors shouldn't get cutesy nicknames even if their real names are long and complicated). She calls me by my first initial, which in and of itself doesn't bother me (my friends from college call me that, but they're my friends and there's a reason behind why that's what they call me) but SHE bothers me so I hate when she does it. Especially when she refers to me that way to other people. I think it's unprofessional in a workplace setting.

Pets on the other hand get all sorts of nicknames. My horse rarely gets referred to by her "real" name. Her name is Holly, but she's more likely Hollinchka, Linch, or Linchkies. Heck, none of the horses at our barn go by their actual barn names, which confuses the crap out of new people and the vet.
    I"m pretty sure my dog thinks Farty McGoo is actually his name.

2 members found this post helpful.

I pretty much can't stand nicknames or pet names. If there's a reason behind one, then I'm okay with it; my advisor calls me "Westchester" because of where I'm from and that doesn't bother me, nor do I mind being called "Em," but I hate it when people call me "Emmy." No thanks!!

I have a ridiculous amount of nicknames for Nikki though, haha!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

If you decide you're going to call me "Renny," I better really like you, or I will start plotting the perfect murder.

That may be an exaggeration.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

My dog and horse have a variety of nicknames. It's gotten to the point where my dog even responds to some of them. He eats raw so sometimes his nicknames are derived from what meal he's eaten..."fish face" "chicken lips" etc.

I also like to end names in "ee." So people I'm good friends with get their names shortened to end in "ee".

A few people have made the mistake of calling me the shortened version of my name. That does not fly. Only my dad got away with it. It was his name for me, and calling me that makes me sad and also feels like you're stealing something from my memories of him. My mom and my siblings don't even call me that!

I have no problem, otherwise, with nicknames. My sister has gone by an odd shortened version of her name forever, and I still mainly call her that, unless with people who only know her by her given name.

And, ALL my animals have various versions of their names, nicknames, pet names, and others. Some nice....some not.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    I always call people by the name that they used when they were introduced to me. I think that is respectful of them. I hate when people try to give nicknames to other people.
    Thank you. I get very tired of people shortening my name to "Jen" or "Jenny" but especially the former is so common I just don't fight it. (There is ONE person allowed to call me Jenny without getting slapped down for it. Not coincidentally he's the business partner of the only person whom I don't begrudge texting. They've earned the right to special consideration by being the BEST BOSSES EVER IN THE WHOLE WORLD. Weirdly, person #2 generally doesn't call me any variant on my first name but rather "Miss Quail." For some reason, that amuses him.)

I give nicknames to pets and animals. People I call them what they indicate they'd like to be called, whether it's a nickname or their given name or title+name.

Oh I got it baaad. Especially with the animals, both my 5 and the 20-odd I see 5 days a week for their entire lives. Most have accompanying ditties.

Hero = Rut Roh, Ritty Rat, (SO AWFUL, I know*cringe*) Responds to all versions.
    Birdie = Brid, Bridley, Breed, Boh-rrrreed, Yurl, Ma Yurl sung to My Girl
    Wilson = Vilson Schmilson, Ralston, Winston, Watson
    Tai = Baby, Le Baybay, just Le
    Quincy = Q, BaaBaaQ, Q-trid when he has bouts of gas

and it goes on and on, for the last 30 yrs. I'm alone in the car and woods a lot

I cannot help myself--I try to keep them to myself since I had a good friend request that I refrain from using any nicknames in her presence God bless my husband, who enjoys them My username, Lovey, is the nickname DH and I use for each other. Feel free to cringe.

I mostly give nick names to my pets. Sometimes a loved one if something cool comes up.

My dad called me Kissy Lou which turned into Lou Lou Belle when I was little and of course you guys can imagine I HATED IT!!! My name is Kristen. Thanks.

I had a teacher who called me Monkey.
    I have a good friend whose husband calls me Wertzy. (my last name is Wertz)
    I don't mind those AT ALL. They are cute.

My cat has a nick name...that I have to be careful about.
    His name is J. T. Kirk. We SHOULD always call him JT. But due to a terrible ring worm issue that took over the first year of his life I had him neutered late.

I had to look at his balls for so long I ended up calling him T Bags.
    YIKES. but it stuck...even after his nuggies were gone.

Explaining that one when I accidentally slip while company is in town is interesting.
    My last bf embraced it and called him Bags. That made me mad actually because the nick name was from ME. Me only. : ) And the T was the important part of it. haha

The only horse I have owned who went by a name other than is barn name was Kaboom. Of course he was usually Boomer, Boom Boom or Boo, but I personally called him Brewski.

Oh, and I called my Step-dad's mule (his name was Coppertop) Jethro. But that was to be mean because I hated him.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I love nick names. My family is huge on them. Its a form of affection for us. If I didnt care for a person, I would not go to the trouble to know them well enough to look into their personality and dub them accordingly. Its akin to saying I like or love you just the way you are.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    God bless my husband, who enjoys them My username, Lovey, is the nickname DH and I use for each other. Feel free to cringe.
    Lovey. Only my mom, old school Irish and Thurston Howell III call people that. My mom would use it in public, as in "Lovey, bring the ice chest." A total joke between me and my sister.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I love nick names. My family is huge on them. Its a form of affection for us. If I didnt care for a person, I would not go to the trouble to know them well enough to look into their personality and dub them accordingly. Its akin to saying I like or love you just the way you are.
    Me, too.

With respect to my horse, I'll sometimes give him names that are the opposite of him, e.g. ViciousWild.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Thank you. I get very tired of people shortening my name to "Jen" or "Jenny" but especially the former is so common I just don't fight it.
    I knew some Jennifers who seemed to think that "Jen" was the more adult upgrade from Jenny. They were serious about enforcing that change.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Oh, and I have names for my sister that relate to TV or movies that we have both seen. Lots of Warner Brother Cartoons references from me to her. She doesn't mind, but doesn't return the favor because I'm kinda wallpaper in her life. She does do nicknames, but nothing made up for me, which makes sense.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I give my pets nicknames. I named one of my chickens Chartreuse because of her eye color, that changed to Char, Miss Char, and then my neighbor called her Charlotte, so that stuck, and then I went on to Charolais--I'm insane. My cat started with Petrie, which morphed to Peaches Lee, and after I watched the movie Pan's Labyrinth Peaches Lee Toadcrump (because he looked like the toad in the movie) and how the h*** it got to his last nickname I have no idea but it's Prince (from Principle Investment--QH). He knows every name.
    I LOVE my Chickens!