The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sounds to me that OP is the perfect candidate to purchase her own property and build her own barn. Problems solved.

Just gotta love boarding barns.....

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Yeah, no, I don't want to wreck his/her life over this, I just want my stuff, thanks" is like taking the ball away. It's really frustrating. It's why sometimes we seem cynical. It's not always the Bad Guys. Sometimes it's the Good Guys.

Off my box now. Sorry.
    all. the. time.

Makes me crazy because what you just taught Little Miss Thief is that she can take it and use it w/no consequences. Usually we hear this AFTER the paper work has been completed as well.

I tend to remember the names of the "victim" next time.

2 members found this post helpful.

the young lady is very lucky this was not me.

Had my tack come up missing and not returned, in the condition it was taken, no longer than 5 minutes of notification....I'd have filed. And if Missy Thief took a hearing, that would be fine.

Make. my. day.

In addition, I'd be fixing the ability for anyone to take my stuff. It would either come home or it would be locked in a locker I was the only one to have a key for.

If Missy Thief tried to speak to me, she'd get the hand and a cold "don't speak to me. Don't ask me anything, and stay out of my way."

As for my gelding, I'd require that either the other horse be moved OR (regardless of vet instructions) I'd move him to another stall. Leaving him in the present stall will not be better if he is kicking.

Not tack theft but the 'Christian' school that shares the street with my stable was having a soccer tournament Saturday and it appears that one of the students, competitors, friends or family decided that they would break into my truck and swipe my purse and cell phone.
    The purse had nothing in it except a prescription medicine, my cell phone and a couple of pens, by a fluke I had my credit cards and ID in my pocket and the phone is insured (100$ deductible) but I'm still angry.

I guess those so called Christian schools don't bother with teaching the 7th commandment anymore.

Every time a borders car is broken into the students of the school are around.
    I'm angry enough to write a nasty note to the head of the school and tell them that one of their students is a thief. It won't do any good, they will just say there isn't any proof(Granted- but nothing disappears when school is out so that is a pretty damning connection) but it will make me feel better.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

5, I had no idea other religions were allowed to attend sporting events. I also had no idea that all people that attend Christian schools are practicing Christians. I learn something new every day.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

i had a so called "friend" steal about 700.00 in tack from me. When I called the police they told me i'd have to sue her to get it back-even though I knew she'd taken it and where it was.I didn't bother suing her, just looked at it as a lesson in choosing friends more carefully
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

That happened to me also years and years ago.
    What do the police think their job is?
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I was quite sympathetic until, as PTR put it"Blaming the BO for your being bucked off your friend's horse is a bit of a reach. You were riding a relatively unknown young horse without stirrups (probably not the wisest decision) and the horse bolted when the dog barks and charges at her. A dog could have come onto the property from a neighboring farm, a loud noise could have spooked her, etc. Take some responsibility here. You have a back injury but yet you decide to climb on your friend's 4 year old and ride without stirrups? The fact that the horse bolted and you fell off isn't the BO's responsibility. "

Good luck on moving, OP, hope no further mishaps happen before then.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shayaalliard View Post
    i had a so called "friend" steal about 700.00 in tack from me. When I called the police they told me i'd have to sue her to get it back-even though I knew she'd taken it and where it was.I didn't bother suing her, just looked at it as a lesson in choosing friends more carefully
    did you lend her the tack and she did not return it?

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    I was quite sympathetic until, as PTR put it"Blaming the BO for your being bucked off your friend's horse is a bit of a reach. You were riding a relatively unknown young horse without stirrups (probably not the wisest decision) and the horse bolted when the dog barks and charges at her. A dog could have come onto the property from a neighboring farm, a loud noise could have spooked her, etc. Take some responsibility here. You have a back injury but yet you decide to climb on your friend's 4 year old and ride without stirrups? The fact that the horse bolted and you fell off isn't the BO's responsibility. "
    Said what I was thinking. The dog could have come from anywhere. THAT one was a freak accident.

But OP is being far nicer than I would about the bridle. I'd have called the cops for theft and vandalism.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    did you lend her the tack and she did not return it?
    My thought. Or an agreement that friend could use it, at any point. That makes it civil. Sorry it happened though, that sucks.

As for this being just the way it is in boarding barns...NOT true. I was a BM at a lovely, large facility for about two years, worked there for four. Other than the wandering brushes that the lesson kids ran off with that are later found, and fly spray and shampoo in the wash rack (both things left out, and the barn supplied shampoo and fly spray, so unless your name was on it, it could be ASSumed to be barn-supplied stuff) we never had anything else come up missing. Well, other than the BO, who lent stuff out like crazy and then had a screaming meltdown when she couldn't find something. But no out and out theft, and with a community tack room and tons of $$$ leather goods. When I was a BO of a much smaller facility, I had lockable tack lockers and in two years only had one bad egg, and all she stole was feed.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

You are being VERY kind to someone who stole and defaced your tack. How old is this girl who insists on painting all her tack pink??

I would have gone NUCLEAR
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

Quote Originally Posted by blairasb View Post
    My vet doesn't want him out of the stall at all until his ultrasound next week. Not even the two steps out of his stalls to hook him in the crossties in front of the stall to groom him. And he gets along GREAT with the horse on his other side.... Swapping this horse and my friend';s horse would ensure a "good neighbor" buffer on both sides of him. Moving him to another stall with an unknown neighbor is a crapshoot, and not something my vet would sign off on....
    And if the choice is walking a few steps to be put into a stall to actually have quiet rest, or remain in the stall where he's kicking and rocking partitions, which does the vet prefer?

4 members found this post helpful.