The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm FREE!!! WOOOOHOOOO!! After.............

16ish hours of digging and pushing snow, I can get out. Been almost a MONTH since I have been off the yard to do more than refuel the tractor and I was too damned tired to notice sale signs at the Co-op beyond the three packages of Fudgee-O cookies for $9.00 and the few things I desperately needed. I checked the online flyer and there is a 10fer sale all this coming week: 10 packs of KD for 10.00, chicken cordons swiss entrees a dollar each, calabrese bread a buck a loaf (my absolute favourite bread), sandwich meats a dollar a pack. I can see a VERY expensive shopping trip in my near future.

Over the past month, I have probably put in 100 hours or so removing snow only to have it storm every time I dug out and I would have to do it all over again. Just hope I do NOT have to spend hours and hours on that tractor before Tuesday; don't mind the trip to the barn every day but not 6+ hours of back and forth across the yard.

Intersting thing, I cannot reverse the truck by groping mindlessly with my left hand for the shuttle that allows me to reverse the tractor. Took a couple of tries before I got myself straightened out.

Another good thing - the Prairie Horned Larks are back!!! And here I sit, typing and not being out to listen for their song.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Looking forward to spring, are we?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

When I lived in the canyons, it used to take me 9 hours round trip with the dozer to clear the road enough to go to the plains to feed the cattle and get back.
    The wind would come up and fill the road, to be done again next day, for 6 weeks!
    We ended up with 73" of snow the winter of 1982/3 and a record wheat crop from all that moisture.

It does get old to have to keep clearing the snow, getting high-centered in drifts with the feed truck, etc.

Now we don't even get enough snow to get stranded any more.

I hope you get to go have that one good shopping day, to finish your hibernating in style.

You poor thing! Enjoy your shopping trip and spoil yourself rotten. You absolutely deserve it. Laughed at the reverse story. I've done things like that. Like spending so much time at work which has an automatic sensor on the bathroom faucet that when I'm home I just keep waving my hands under the faucet wondering why the $%@$* water will not turn on.

Wishing you a warm and glorious spring, SK.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Look at it this way: all that moisture is going to be good for the crops.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I sure am looking forward to spring but hope there is a slow melt because Sask Water has already been issuing flood watches in some areas because run-off is going to be huge, not as bad as 2011 but close. I know that around here, if the melt is slow, most will soak away because the ground isn't frozen too hard what with the snow cover.

I do hope that this is the end and we get no more snow but the wind is howling so it will drift in again, dammit and I will be pushing and piling this crap several more times. Worst of drifting at this time of year is the snow packs hard like a rock and it's hard on equipment and operator; I ache all over today from the pounding I took over the last three days.

Oddly, I, who despise shopping, am kinda looking forward to it this time around and also looking forward to NOT having to buy a month's worth of food this time around. Little bit of cabin fever, I guess. It's been so bad that I had to buy cat food at the local Co-op which is just a gas station and hardware store that also handles pet foods (dry) and will special order in tinned food if you ask nicely.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

When I go up to the barn, 17 miles away, the snow in the fields is half melted, with much of the ground showing through.

My own front field (while I have a 4'x5' 'for sale' sign sitting inside the door, waiting to be set up), is knee deep in snow. Have no idea where those holes I dug for the sign went...!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

This is why they invented explosives.

So sorry you've been stuck, though at the moment I'd take snow over the relentless mud I have here!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!