The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New doggie! Part Harrier and ?????

This is Tesno. He's four years old and came from an older woman who was forced to give him up by her mean, nasty daughter. He is a sweetheart. I've determined from his markings, ears, and BAYING (Aooooo!) that he is part Harrier. Colors and marking are EXACTLY like the photo of the harrier in my album, down to the white tip on his tail. But what is his fuzzy side? Very, very thick double coat - lots of fluff underneath, smoother/coarser on the top. Not to mention his funny curly tail!

Any guesses to his ancestry? I'm just curious.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4236615&type=3
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

No guesses, but he's adorable!

He's cute but he could be any combination!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I couldn't see the photo : ( Are you sure he could be a Harrier? They seem to be pretty rare and I'd think it would be unusual for one to be bred with something else.

Good luck with your new family member.

2 members found this post helpful.

Honestly, he looks like your run of the mill mutt to me, but if you're casting about for potentials, this might be one:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nova...w=1920&bih=962

Oh wow, he looks like a thicker/bigger version of my new guy, only without silly, big, erect ears! My guy has the same exact coloring and markings, down to the freckles on the nose, and the exact same tail. I don't have many good pictures of him because it's hard to get him to sit still for them, but you can kind of see the resemblance in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZ6jSO-tNg

No help on breed guesses...I was told my guy is part Aussie, but I seriously doubt that.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I agree with seeing Duck Toller right off the bat - it may not come out in the DNA, but that is the first think I thought of from your pictures.

I don't see Harrier or hound; I see akita or chow (or basic spitz) type, maybe Golden, and some Toller if you get lucky. I'll be curious to hear what DNA finds as it is usually good for entertainment value.

I think if you had more hound you'd see longer legs, and a longer, leaner body. The curled tail, cobby body, dense hair and the rolls around the shoulder say akita/chow/malamute to me:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...25306793_n.jpg

But, a good mixed breed probably has all of the above. He's adorable, and I love his name too!

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Colors and marking are EXACTLY like the photo of the harrier in my album, down to the white tip on his tail.
    Just saw the pic of the Harrier in your album now; don't forget that Harriers can come in any color, and are not typically brown/white but very often tri-colored like most beagles (of course beagles can come in a variety of colors as well). It's easy to be thrown by the color (which is why I saw Duck Toller but to be honest, that would be unlikely and the rest of his conformation doesn't really support it), so you have to try to ignore that and look at conformation and type first.

Toller was my first thought. Whatever he is, he's verrry cute!

Toller/Akita were my first thoughts.

I saw Toller, too, but I think that was just the markings. I'd say definitely half Chow, and possibly Golden, with that blocky head. But then where does the white come from? Maybe one parent was half Golden and Some Kinda Hound, which would give you the markings and the baying. Cute as a button, regardless!

I can't see photo right now, but why Harrier and not any other foxhound? I would guess Harriers are less likely to be found than other hound combos.

Glad you saved him from mean daughter.

Cant see the picture so I'm no help!

It is always interesting trying to guess what a mixed breed's ancestry might be! Kind of like guessing what numbers added together make up 57.

I used to work with dog wardens and it was always funny to see their guesses on some of the strays. No, I dont think that dog is likely a mix of Sussex Spaniel, Duck Tolling Retriever and Great Pyranese! Just dont see many of them roaming loose and randomly breeding. Most likely a combination of the breeds common to the casual dog owners around here. And in that situation, the idea was to give owners or potential adopters an idea what the dog looked like rather than worrying about its actual lineage.

I am not convinced the DNA tests help all that much. You need a really good database and some unique markers to make that work. I have seen some bizzare claims from them!

I don't understand why some of you can't see the photos - I swear I have them all marked Public Anyway, all your guesses are fun! I like the "Cape Cod Tolling Retriever."
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

OP, extremely unlikely your cute mix has Harrier in him, one of the rarest breeds, probably not roaming about in MA, and anyway more often tricolor than red and white. If there is any scenthound in there, more likely to be beagle, foxhound, or coonhound mix. Many hounds that are usually tricolor can also be red & white, or the coat color could come from the more Nordic ancestor that gives him the heavier coat, tail carriage, ears, and other traits that do not look at all hound like.

Lots of dogs that are not hounds do bay and track or trail. But he could have some hound in him, I wouldn't rule it out, just doubt it is Harrier.

duck troller was my first thought too!

Your new pupper looks very, very, very similar to an Akita/Lab foster I had a few years ago.
    Sheilah

OP, your dog has semi- prick ears. Those are NOT Harrier ears, nor any ears on these scenthounds:

Harrier Standard

Ears*are set on low and lie close to the cheeks, rounded at the tips.

English Foxhound standard:

Ears set on low and lying close to the cheeks. Most English hounds are "rounded" which means that about 1½ inches is taken off the end of the ear.*

American Foxhound:

Ears--Ears set on moderately low, long, reaching when drawn out nearly, if not quite, to the tip of the nose; fine in texture, fairly broad, with almost entire absence of erectile power--setting close to the head with the forward edge slightly inturning to the cheek--round at tip

Beagle:

Ears--Ears set on moderately low, long, reaching when drawn out nearly, if not quite, to the end of the nose; fine in texture, fairly broad-with almost entire absence of erectile power-setting close to the head, with the forward edge slightly inturning to the cheek--rounded at tip

I don't see any hound, and highly doubt he has harrier (not a common breed). His ears are too 'up' to be hound ears, his build is thicker than a hound, and most dogs will bay at things. As for the markings, those markings are not ;imited to hound breeds

That said, he's adorable! He looks like a teddy bear I see akita or chow mixed with golden. How big is he? If he's smaller, maybe a tolling retriever, but much more likely a golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

chow/beagle