The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default hiccups

Someone just called from the barn to say that my horse has the hiccups! I guess it's been going on for about a half hour. I was told that every now and again, she will stomp her foot. Is this any kind of big deal? What would you do for a case of the hiccups anyway? Someone at the barn said that her horse will get hiccups and they just go away.

Pretty silly post! I hope this hasn't already been asked a ton. There is always something new with horses.

TIA

Horses don't often get hiccups, and it could be sign of something else, and worse. quick google leads to:
    http://www.horsetopia.com/articles/b...dangerous.html

I would call and get more information, or go out if the barn isn't an hour or more away. Is there a good barn manager there whom you can call to ask for more info?
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

They are normally harmless and should go away by themselves. They are, apparently, annoying. One of my horses used to get them and would then kick out with one hind foot in frustration. I found TTouch along the rib cage would stop them but then when I stopped the TTouch, they would start up again.

Usually they just go away. In my horse I think they were due to tension.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Sounds as thoought your horse has "Thumps"
    http://www.helium.com/items/1855947-...umps-in-horses

I have two horses that get hiccups (mother and daughter), and yes it seems to annoy them when they do, lots of foot stomping. They aren't 'thumps' though, just hiccups.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I think you will find that hiccups in horses have been referred to as "thumps" since the 1830's. They are a somewhat different condition than that which is experienced by humans and can cause problems. It is always wise to at least touch base with your veterinarian and discuss what is going on. ymmv

Horses that people think have hiccups are usually "thumps", caused by an electrolyte/calcium imbalance, IIRC.

1 members found this post helpful.

I went out and checked on my horse last night. She was not hiccuping. She seemed happy, energetic and fine-- ears up and demanding attention. She hasn't seen hard work in a long time. Hoping it's just a silly blip. Thanks for the comments!

I knew a horse who would hiccup each time you went to do the girth up. Very bizarre, but he never did it any other time!

My same horse with the hiccups will hold her breathe if you tighten the girth too fast. One time, she did that and then sat down and flipped over. That was a long time ago, but she's a bit of a nut. Good kind of nut.