The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How worried should I be??

My dog is a 44 lb. female Springer, about to turn 10 years old. She has generally been extremely healthy her whole life. Other than a knee repair, we've not had anything much go wrong. Extremely lucky, I know... no fevers/colds/illnesses at all.

Sunny threw up outside Thursday afternoon. My son saw her eating the vomit, is only reason we know. It snowed heavily here so the vomit was obvious. She ate her dinner later normally so we dismissed this as "one of those things." She's thrown up before and this just fine later.

She threw up again at 5:00 yesterday, a lot. Looked like all of her b'fast still Husband said. We did not feed her any dinner. Acted normal afterwards other than not being hungry.

She was interested in b'fast so I fed her half-rations (kibble) this AM, which she ate normally. She's laid around most of the day but not acted depressed or in pain. Drank water with b'fast. Poo'd small amount of normal stool. What I see in snow from one previous poo also normal.

Sunny just threw up again, very watery with some food in it. She had just gone outside and eaten about 10 mouthfuls of snow. She is acting pretty bright, not depressed, but *maybe* not quite "normal," either.

Temp is either 98.8 or 99.3, thermometer varying on me. Skin snaps back. Gums ok pink, refill time good. Last food that stayed down is Thursday dinner.

What do you think? I've never had her vomit this much consecutively. Something has upset tummy? Would snow do that? Or is something worse going on? Should I give her rice with chicken broth for dinner, or nothing?

Do we need to go to emergency vet, or can I see how she is tomorrow?

I should have added she is spayed, and I hear gut sounds at her flank. Respiration normal.

Doesnt sound like she needs to rush to a vet tonight. If she has only vomited 2-3 times over a few days she is not likely to be dehydrated. Try feeding her very small amounts every 2-3 hours and see how she does with that. If she is not better by tomorrow a vet visit may be a good idea for some diagnostics or at least supportive treatments such as cerenia.

My vet is a firm believer in no food at all for 24 hours if there is vomiting and the dog is not obviously ill. As long as water is available, no dog ever died from missing food for 24 hours. If there is no vomiting the next day, then plain boiled rice and chicken or hamburger for the next 24 hours. (Cook the hamburger separately and drain/rinse it to get rid of the grease. )

Of course, if your dog goes downhill quickly and is clearly sick, the vet is the place to go!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, Squish! That's kind of what I thought. She is agitating for dinner as I write this, which is a good sign, I guess. I'm giving her a few hours and will try a little rice with broth. Of COURSE it is Saturday night... :-/ I have a credit via barter at the regular vet and would GREATLY prefer to use that other than going to ER, but will if I need to.

Is there a new bag of dog food by any chance?
    You are what you dare.

I agree with Guin.

We are following the Guin plan. Sunny asked for dinner for a couple hours before she finally gave up, but we held firm. Not giving her a thing until tomorrow night, and then we'll do chicken or beef and rice. If she's hungry tomorrow morning - which I expect she will be - she'll really be a pain, but we'll deal!

At GotGait: Nope, same bag we've had open for three weeks. Same kind she's eaten for years now, too (Kirkland Premium Chicken and Rice). But good thought!

Thanks, everyone, for your answers. MUCH appreciated.

UPDATE: Sunny ate chicken and rice for dinner last night and again for b'fast this AM, and seems to be doing fine. No more vomiting *knocks loudly on wood*. She is still acting normal otherwise, and snarfed up her new ration enthusiastically. Now I'm worried she'll turn up her nose at kibble! (Probably not, she's never been a picky eater)

Thank you again for your helpful replies. Hopefully we are past this mystery tummy upset. If there is more vomiting, I'll definitely take her in.

I have had kibble go " bad". Some small bug that gets into an opened bag and creates spider webs on the inside of the bag. So it's possible to have an open bag that was good go bad. The tell tale signs: coughing while eating the kibble and meal vomited in short time.