The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So you want to be a "cowgirl" you say?

I'd want to stick to this horse because I sure as heck wouldn't want to hit the ground! (public facebook)

Well, OK I can see some air. But (pun intended), still a glue on ride.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=383289895081672

They say we "cowboy" horses?

That horse was not ready to have someone on his back yet, too reactive.
    He didn't have much help understanding what was going on.
    Why was he not at least on a longe line, so someone had some control and could be trying to ease him on without him taking off?

Generally, fireworks when starting a colt means someone didn't do their job right.

6 members found this post helpful.

I saw that video a few weeks ago and thought along the same line as Bluey.

My thought is these guys skipped way to many steps. Even just spending 15 minutes before you get on desensitizing them to your weight and having someone above them before you ever put your foot in the stirrup is pretty important.

In my view, there's no reason for that. Even the cowgirls I know nowadays don't do that cr*p. I never did it because I don't 'do' broncs very well, even back in the day. To me, they skipped a lot of steps but, in the end, they did get the colt going pretty well. The rider was sure sticky and did a nice job. Just getting to that point was rather painful to watch.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

1 members found this post helpful.

That horse was given a really bad deal. What a bad impression that the humans involved have left him with. That video wasn't a good example of a cowgirl, but it is a great example of total and complete lack of respect for a horse. This is the kind of thing that makes folks think that horses are dangerous, which is sad. Horses can be dangerous, but stupid is even more so.

Poor horse. Idiot trainers. Poor prep work backing that horse.

OMG, I just noticed the man on the ground was also whacking the horse in the butt with the whip the first few bucks! JERK. You could hear the contact being made.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    OMG, I just noticed the man on the ground was also whacking the horse in the butt with the whip the first few bucks! JERK. You could hear the contact being made.
    I was watching that thinking "If I was on a young misbehaving horse, and my ground person's solution was to smack it with a whip and yell, the second I got off said young horse, ground person would be dead in short order."

So I know NOTHING about breaking horses....I watched the video before I read any comments and my first thought was that does not seem to make any sense....why the heck would you have a guy waving a lunge whip and yelling if you want a calm, willing horse. And having all those jumps set up made me nervous too. Didn't seem safe for rider OR horse.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I was watching that thinking "If I was on a young misbehaving horse, and my ground person's solution was to smack it with a whip and yell, the second I got off said young horse, ground person would be dead in short order."
    If that ground person had a longe line to control the horse, getting it to go forward but not wildly so, that may be ok, lack of forward is why he is bucking.
    Out loose in there, with those jumps around for him to blindly hit here and there, if not the walls, as he is bucking?
    Reaaaaly bad training and asking for a serious accident.

Seriously Bluey, a longe line on THAT horse? Yeah, like would not have been a real accident waiting to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Seriously Bluey, a longe line on THAT horse? Yeah, like would not have been a real accident waiting to happen!
    That is the way we started our feral horses, on a longe line and they did great, hardly one even humped a bit.

I'm surprised the rider managed to 'ride" that out. o.O

Don't agree with that type of training but I sure do wish I could stick like that rider!!
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

I spent my life starting colts and you know, there are many ways to do so and if you do any of them right, it works anyway.
    That one is not one of those.
    Why is it not a good way?
    The horse was still too reactive to be getting on, as it was clear the way he resisted so strongly to a rider and went on bucking.
    Are they starting bucking string for a rodeo?
    I don't think so.
    Then, why teach a horse, every moment at that stage of training IS a teaching moment, then, why teach a horse and let him practice the motor memory of, in that situation, bucking like that?

Many colts, started right, won't do anything while under the extreme control you use starting them.
    You like your ducks in a row so carefully that you avoid those situations.

Now, after you get on with a colt, there are times and colts that will have their little moments, once you are not quite controlling the situation to a T, as you do when you start.

It is later, in those situations, when colts tend to at times get the best of you here and there and get a bit fussy.
    By then you have added some more training and can, hopefully, talk them out of it without fireworks.

There, when you first get on, the horse loose to run off and buck?

Let me tell you, there are smarter ways to go about that first saddling.
    Not many places I worked and trainers I worked for would have been happy if I had just stepped on a colt that was not quite ready, that was showing all to be tense and overfaced and went on to play rodeo.

Old cowboys used to do that, run a horse into a pen, forefoot it.
    Jump on it's head and hold it down, truss him up like a turkey and rub it all over, maybe even tarp it with a tow sack or saddle blanket.
    Get a hackamore on it.
    Let it up and run it around some more.
    Snub it to a post very close, truss it up some more in a three way scotch hobble.
    Saddle him, take the hobbles loose and turn him loose, "to get used to the saddle".
    Which right then mean the horse would buck like mad for a while, until it gave up, shaking and tired to the bone.
    Then forefoot the horse again, have someone snub it to another horse, get the bronc peeler on the horse and lead them around a bit or outright turn them loose.

Loose, the horse, by then very tired, may sull on you or take of running and bucking some more, flipping at times, hazed on by the other rider, until it quit and would stand there and start again without bucking.

Then the pen gate was opened and the pair hazed out of it at a run, right up a sandy creek, for as long as it took for the horse to quit bucking.

By the time they got back, the horse was "broke".
    Every day it took a bit less fireworks to get one going and in five days those horses were ready for some cowboy string, to be ridden as circle horses and taught more.
    If they were lucky and ended in the hands of a good cowboy, some even made very nice horses.
    The rest were always hard to handle to eventually pure outlaws and were sold, if not injured before that.

Here is a picture taken in 1910 of Uncle Norm, considered one of those old time great colt starters, his colts went on to become gentle and were sought after, but were started in the old ways:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...mber062005.jpg

What he was doing there was, with his pocket knife, make a little cut on the colt's lip, so he would "taste his own blood, think he was dying, not fight and give up and be nice".
    Yes, some practices were right down bizarre.
    Once Grandpa married his sister and taught them to longe horses and the finer arts of horsemanship, the whole process became so much easier on all and safer.
    The remount inspectors would buy all they had for sale at a premium and for officer mounts, a big honor in those days.

That old system also "worked", at the cost of many horses and humans getting hurt.
    I think we know better today, where we don't need to put test pilot colt starters in the situation that one was, where we have colts further along when we get on them than the one there was?

I think that is a video of missed steps and how NOT to start a colt.
    Last edited by Bluey; Feb. 24, 2013 at 07:58 AM.