The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Decision made...

Decision made. *sigh*
    Last edited by pinkpony321; Feb. 23, 2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Decision made...

I would personally euthanize. Sounds like someone is going to get hurt or killed if this continues.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow. I'm so sorry you're experiencing such a heartbreak. I don't have a trainer to recommend but I will point out what you likely are already aware of: you're exposing yourself to HUGE liability. Even if you warn people about this horse, if he seriously hurts, or god forbid, kills someone, the insurance company is coming after *you*. I've had a very aggressive horse (it was triggered by pain and the behavior remained for quite a while after the pain was resolved) and I made sure no one else handled him, went into his stall, pasture, etc., until he was completely reformed. I would never have kept him where others had to be, or might chance to be, in his space, for any reason. When you know a dangerous situation exists, you are liable for the consequences.

I hope you find someone competent to give you a last good evaluation and perhaps solution, but I won't blame you a bit if you end up putting him down. How horrible it would be to have him decide that knocking someone down is not enough.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

2 members found this post helpful.

You already know what to do, the "Because its getting progressively worse, I'm thinking of donating him to a vet school or just having him Euth'd. I really think that there's just something wrong upstairs with this guy and I do not want anyone to get hurt."

The one and only horse I knew like this (out of more than 150 I have known up close and personal ove the past 50+ years) was euth'd and necropsied. He had a fast growing brain tumor. This horse needs to be PTS before he seriously injures or kills someone. You have my condolences in advance.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Have you tried contacting a BNT - like Monty Roberts, Buck B, etc? I read the Original Post, and I don't think he sounds hopeless...however, that said no one in their right mind is going to give you a guilt trip for putting him down. (((((hugs))))))

As sad as it is, am glad to see the 'decision ' made. It is/was just a matter of time before he started wigging out under saddle too. So sorry...cyberhugs to you.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

What decision?

Oh I know: what color halter the horse should wear.

Good thing on deleting the post.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    What decision?

Oh I know: what color halter the horse should wear.

Good thing on deleting the post.
    I've gotten the feedback I wanted or needed. It's a tough thing I'm dealing with. COTH is notorious for sprouting train wrecks, so I deleted the post since it was no longer useful to me.
    Tell me please, how was YOUR post helpful? It wasn't. So please, let me deal with my issue in peace. Take your sarcasm elsewhere.

6 members found this post helpful.

In the interest of educating us all, I hope you will have the Veterinarian examine at least the brain, if not a full necropsy, and tell us what the findings are. It would probably help you to have some closure too, to know if it was a brain lesion (or heaven forbid, rabies) involved in this (apparently mental) deterioration of behavior. I was afraid to say rabies earlier on, although that did cross my mind as another possible cause of this. I hope it is not that!
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Feb. 23, 2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Jeanie

I did not get to see the original post, but if it is a suspected rabies case, then it should definitely be necropsied and reported to the state!