The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quick fix for dirty hair

Guess I could post this even in OC, because it is riding related, but I'll ask here...

My barn is en route to Big City to the east. And 25 minutes in that direction to boot. So it's a PITA if I have to go all the way home to shower before heading back out on appts.

Remember years ago they had some dry shampoo that you could at least pass with? It was in a spray can...

In this colder weather, there have been days when I'm really not too much of a smelly mess, especially if I change clothes(!), but I have bangs, so when the hat comes off, they either stick straight up, or lay to the side like Alfalfa...

Any suggestions? (besides wearing a hat/beret!)
    Thanks!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

You know those oil absorbing sheets that are designed to blot the oil off your face? Well, they work for hair too, and they aren't too bad if you're in bind. You can find them in the skin care section.

Could you flat iron your bangs back to where you want them? If I need some lift I put the flat iron at my roots, pull the hair up, or even a little back, then move the flat iron back where I want my hair to lie.

google sock buns! If your hair is long enough, a bit of dry shampoo and a sock bun and you're good to go!

Get them wet and re-fluff them, however that is you like them best. Maybe keep a spray bottle of water at the barn to spritz all your hair, run a brush through, and tidy as you can. In the past, I would often use a spray on, leave in conditioner if I was trying to do a quick changeroo. It would at least make it smell better, and often once it dried, it was fluffy again with a little shine. Giving it a really, really good brushing (like, flip it over and brush from the bottom really well, then flip it back and brush from the top) helped a lot, too.

One more reason I love my short hair. Hat head is often very easy to overcome.

They still make dry shampoo, I have a bottle of suave. Just make sure you use a mirror to brush out the white powdery residue it leaves when you spray it on.

1 members found this post helpful.

Looks like ULTA has dry shampoos, and they're everywhere around our neck of the woods. http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/cate...oryId=cat40004
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I use the Tresemme brand of dry shampoo. I'm not sure how it would work with bangs, though-- I feel like it kind of makes my long frizzy hair flat.

Dry shampoo is pretty much scented corn starch. You can buy a huge bottle for cheapo in the baby dept

I have used several & I have found the brand is irrelevant, but it is easier for me to use (no visible residue) if it is in an applicator with a pointy tip (like a hair color bottle). It is easier to get on my roots that way. You put it on the roots, then brush through/out with natural bristle brush.

I thought I could only use Oscar something from Sephora, but experiments showed it wasn't the product, but the bottle it came in

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Guess I could post this even in OC, because it is riding related, but I'll ask here...

My barn is en route to Big City to the east. And 25 minutes in that direction to boot. So it's a PITA if I have to go all the way home to shower before heading back out on appts.

Remember years ago they had some dry shampoo that you could at least pass with? It was in a spray can...

In this colder weather, there have been days when I'm really not too much of a smelly mess, especially if I change clothes(!), but I have bangs, so when the hat comes off, they either stick straight up, or lay to the side like Alfalfa...

Any suggestions? (besides wearing a hat/beret!)
    Thanks!

I worked in retail at Ulta. The BEST dry shampoo I use is Rockaholic Dirty Secret by Bedhead. Or you can use Treseme if on a budget but it isn't nearly as good as dirty secret. If you dye your hair I'd lean towards a higher end brand because cheaper brands can damage color. I hear Sebastian's brand is good. I've found Dirty Secret at Publix before.

Spray it on, wait a few minutes, then massage it in to get rid of the whiteness.

I use dry shampoo every other day and I'm someone with super oily hair. Never thought I could use one before!

I love the Ojon dry shampoo you can get at Sephora. Pricey, but SO worth it.

Suave has a very passable new dry spray shampoo. I got a free sample last year and gave it a try and it worked just fine in a pinch, which is the only time I use it.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

When you are really feeling gross and if you have wash and wear hair you can try one of these:
    http://www.mountainside-medical.com/...FQyg4AodqkcATA

My best friend just spent a month in the hospital and I used these on her all the time and they really worked great. There are cheaper versions but this is the one I can vouch for.

Yep lots of awesome dry shampoos out there now!

I have very long hair and bangs. If my bangs get scrunched and funky looking after being under a helmet, I just rinse or wash them under the tap. Towel dry, brush or fluff as necessary and they look fine.

If it's not 100 deg out, the rest of my hair looks fine if my bangs are squeaky clean.

Put baby powder on a brush and comb it through your hair.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post

Miracle Groom
    - added benefit: you & horsie can SHARE

If you just need to get some 'product' in there to get your bangs to go back to normal, I recommend Prep by Bumble and Bumble -- It's my go-to after a helmet gets my waves all crazy and I still have to go out in public...
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I use the Ojon, from Sephora. It isn't white, so it doesn't require lots of brushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    I worked in retail at Ulta. The BEST dry shampoo I use is Rockaholic Dirty Secret by Bedhead. Or you can use Treseme if on a budget but it isn't nearly as good as dirty secret. If you dye your hair I'd lean towards a higher end brand because cheaper brands can damage color. I hear Sebastian's brand is good. I've found Dirty Secret at Publix before.

Spray it on, wait a few minutes, then massage it in to get rid of the whiteness.

I use dry shampoo every other day and I'm someone with super oily hair. Never thought I could use one before!
    I just got a can of Dirty Secret, but I think mine is a conditioning product....made my bedhead of curly hair look respectable for a morning run to the store last weekend - spray it everywhere but the roots
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

These are great!
    Knew I could come here and get loads of good info.
    Will be saving me lots of time and gas $$.

Taking the list to Big City next trip.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes