The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Definitely going with dead bolts and good strong window locks with dowels. No sliding door, that is good. Barberry brush gives a good cut (evil things!) under the windows, Hawthornes along the side fence
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I Just put in a system, and went with SimpliSafe. I am really happy with it...no land line required, monitoring can be monthly rather than annual contract, and it's easily installed by myself. There are a variety of sensors available from door/window and motion sensors to temprerature, Co2, water, fire, etc. I did my whole house for under $500, and it took about an hour to install and set up.

Duplicate post deleted.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

We've had an alarm system for years and the only false alarms we've had were when I forgot to disarm it as I entered the house. The modern systems are very reliable.

We have all entrance points alarmed, as well as motion, smoke, and heat detectors. We use a heat detector in the garage because it doubles as a workshop and operations like soldering, grinding, and even a table saw can set off a smoke detector, as can starting up the riding lawn mower. There are no CO2 detectors because our heat and cooking is all electric.

We had a cat and the technician was able to set the sensitivity of the motion detectors to ignore her wanderings.

We also have a wireless backup link in case any would be thieves try to cut the phone line.

If you fear for your safety, get a gun and learn how to use it. Most rod and gun clubs offer firearm safety courses. NRA's Refuse To Be A Victim program is well worth the cost and effort. Remember: When seconds count, help is minutes away -- if you're lucky!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I HATE our alarm system. We have ADT. They are slow to respond when it goes off.... they monitor our smoke alarm too (which is set off if you sear meat). Takes 15 minutes for them to call...umm.... my house could have burned down. The last straw was it malfunctioned and would not shut off when we were on vacation. They could not fix it, so the petsitter turned the power off to the system. So our house was disarmed while we were gone. Plus they will chargeto fix the system.

So we are keeping the signs, and not fixing the alarm.

1 members found this post helpful.

items of value should be permanently marked for easy identification

But even that does not deter them; all of our tack was embossed with farm name when stolen; the responding officers just said... tack, that will never be found as it will be sold at some horse auction one or two states away

The huge German shepherd dog who was a trained protection dog we got afterwards has worked; even ten years after he has died the police are still stopping by to check on our protection dog permit

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    I asked about this awhile back and received some good info. I followed the advice and am quite happy with my ADT and camera system. Do a search for the helpful information.
    I also have ADT....after finding a stranger in my garage, "selling " arial views of my farm. Their motion sensors ignore anything under 80 lbs
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Before choosing a company find out if they have local monitoring. And I believe some systems no longer require a landline.

With my previous house I also found out the owner had to give 30 days notice before a move, and if they didn't (and they didn't) and the silent alarm goes off, then the company would do nothing to help. You truly don't want to know that story. If there's an existing system you might be able to transfer ownership, and set up the account so you can have an easy changeover.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Yeah, Frank, I'm worried about when I am not home. I am not concerned about defending myself and my.home LOL! In all honesty I might prove to be a little more redneck than where I'm moving is used to

I am thinking my little electric automatic fan I put in ky window in summer is no longer a good idea, even with a dowel, the plastic fan will just pop out of the window
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.