The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Oh and that tree is so out of there LOL
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Okay, I really need to lay off the exclamation points, I'm getting all Eleventy. !!!!!11
    The Knotted Pony

If you were here in Ky the first purchase I'd tell you to make is a zero turn lawn mower cause of the durned grass - but I can just see the hydrangeas out front and a push mower works for a small yard.

Definitely you must have ziplock plastic bags for all loose parts and either put them in the last/first box or tape them to say the table leg or the inside of the bookcase they belong to. And purge, purge, purge. I'm ashamed to say that in the shop are boxes that got packed in 2005 for remodel work, stored, moved, and are still sitting there eight years later. Nobody needs that.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Yes, I am a purger! I hate clutter.

I am thinking I will just hire someone to cut the wild grass as I work on the yard, my goal is a no lawn yard. Or, such a tiny bit of grass my little weed whacker could do it in 5 mins.

I think brick paths going through perennial bloomers that fill in like black eyed Susan, pretty foliage, etc. Going to be needing a fire pit for sure! And, raised veggie beds.
    The Knotted Pony

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    . . .
    I think brick paths going through perennial bloomers that fill in like black eyed Susan, pretty foliage, etc. Going to be needing a fire pit for sure! And, raised veggie beds.
    I knew it! Oh it's going to be so lovely, your little cottage. You must get a Cambodian buddha statue and some camellias and Japanese Anemones, I can't tell the solar orientation but there has to be a little nook for the shade lovers. What fun!
    Incredible Invisible

Oh there is, the house faces east (back faces West). The north side is shady.

Maybe you can help me. Back in the day I planted a fabulous Asian fruit tree that had a gorgeous shape, lovely leaves, and beautiful golden green fat pear shaped fruit. There is also a flowering shrub by the same name. I can't remember for the life if me
    The Knotted Pony

Default Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

(I added a bunch of exclamation points for you. )

I have a small house myself (1,040 square feet) and I love it! So manageable to take care of, and maintenance stuff like periodic repainting, the occasional new roof, etc. is so much less expensive for me than for my work friends with their much bigger homes. Not to mention property taxes....

I know you'll have a wonderful time with your yard projects.By the way, I have a hydrangea that's the envy of my neighbors. I do absolutely nothing to take care of it beyond getting the ever-present morning glory vines off of it, and it's a wonderful bush. So I highly approve of your choice to add hydrangea to your yard!
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Hurray for little houses and hydrangeas!!!
    The Knotted Pony

Flowering Quince?
    Incredible Invisible

Quince Quince Quince!!!!

I LOVE YOU!!! *CARTWHEELING*

I love the fruit tree, my grandparents had the flowering variety in their yard too
    The Knotted Pony

I need to get outside and weed. I can't stand this.
    Incredible Invisible

I'm sorry! Hopefully join you soon. Thank you again, I love Quince trees so much.
    The Knotted Pony

City of delusion in the state of total denial

What an adorable little cottage! Congratulations and best wishes for smooth sailing!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Thanks lady
    The Knotted Pony

For big ugly scrubs or small trees, hire someone with a 4 wheel drive, and a chain. They just hook up and yank it out of the ground. Start shopping yard and garage sales, and get a tree trimmer, loppers, and hedge trimmers. They are usually really cheap when someone is downsizing or from estate sales. Start asking around for lawn mowing help. The prices really vary from my $45 every two weeks for 1/3 acre of lawn (back is mostly weeds), including weed eating and blowing grass off the walks, to a lot more than that for small places-some people really try to rip you off, and some are very reasonable. Look at shady lawn plantings, including ground covers that don't grow too tall. You can put plantings and shrubs that don't need trimming around the back perimeter, and limit the amount of maintenance.

To decide on plantings, it might be good to wander the neighborhood, and see the yards you really like. Ask the people who did the garden, and if any of them did their own ask them what plants grow well, and the ones that didn't . Location really varies with types that require a lot of maintenance, and those that do great without anything being done to them. if there is an extension service see what services they have availalbe. And if there is a master gardener program locally they might have people that love to help you plan your yard. When you get the raised beds installed or plan to do a lot of soil prep you can usually get coupons or specials for bulk deliveries, and the best way to move items like mulch or top soil is a snow shovel. If you get a wheel barrow make sure it can fit thorough gates or doors (a friend's husband bought a great big metal one for her, and the barrow couldn't fit through the garden shed door, and not through the regular gate. If you eventually put in a wood fence, then square metal poles with big bolt holes in them, cemented in, and then you just put premade fence sections up with bolts, and you're ready to go. If you don't put up wood, then you can get some great metal aluminum wrought iron panels, they fit between aluminum posts, or vinyl, and look nice. I don't like the aluminum fence style with wide, white fence slats-I think it looks cheap. Make sure if you put a regular width gate to the back you still need a double wide truck access gate for deliveries, and workers, and for mowing.
    Last edited by JanM; Feb. 24, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Oh, I know people who can operate heavy equipment

I don't mind some trimming but you will never see me plant a laurel hedge LOL
    The Knotted Pony

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Yes, I am a purger! I hate clutter.

I am thinking I will just hire someone to cut the wild grass as I work on the yard, my goal is a no lawn yard. Or, such a tiny bit of grass my little weed whacker could do it in 5 mins.

I've been taking on decluttering as a project this weekend. Gotta get rid of it! I am being relentless, throwing stuff out left & right. It feels so good!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Happy Congrats on your just adorable cottage!!!! What an exciting time How great that its brandy sparkly new! I love the kitchen and the deck New just smells sooo good

Does the neighborhood have a deer poulation? That will limit your choice of landscaping, g**da**it. My hydrangeas are mere shadows of what they were before the deer decided they were mighty tasty

Nope, no deer LOL!! It is in the city of Tacoma, a very developed part of it. This little area is 5 plots, the people who developed it lost their shirt so my little place and the one (still foreclosed and vacant) across the street. The main house is rented to a big Pacific Island family (I have met the husband,, very nice, got the down low on the neighborhood) who will most likely be up for neighborhood BBQs. SO, it looks a lot more rural than it actually is. Two blocks down is Hwy 7.
    The Knotted Pony