The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Does anyone else not respond to Novocaine like normal people?

Well, technically I think the Dentist uses another kind of 'caine, but it seems everyone just calls it all Novocaine. My mouth is a mess for whatever reason, and last week my Dentist had to start a fifth Root Canal on me. After 5 shots - actually 9 "pricks" but he said it was using 5 shots - I was finally numb, but good grief was my mouth sore that night!

He said that a coffee drinkers can be hard to numb, but I think I'm his hardest patient he has. It finally got to the point where I just gripped the arms rests and told him to "drill quickly"

I see him in a week, when he will fill a bunch of cavities and then eventually finish the root canal.

So, anyone else have a "weird mouth" as my Dentist calls it?

Novocaine makes my DH really sick. He gets knocked out for the rest of the day, woozy, nauseous, all that. He hasn't had to have serious dental work but for small stuff like fillings he goes without anesthetic. No they don't reduce his bill either. I guess for something extreme we are looking at anesthesia, as in going under.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

It takes a bunch of shots for me to get numb. 8 or 9 is average for me. Fortunately my dentist is really good, and will just keep numbing me til it works.

Drinking coffee (caffeine is a vasoconstrictor) and/or smoking (shuts down circulation) can make medical procedures in the mouth or around the face difficult.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Not the Novicaine, but I can't handle the shot itself. It makes my mouth hurt literally for a week. It's insane! It's bad enough that I now get cavities filled without any sort of numbing. Honestly, the fillings are less painful than the shot.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I'm really sensitive to it, so have to usually use Carbocaine, which doesn't last as long, and requires more shots.

I had a lot of work done last year by a new dentist, and she didn't have a clue where to stick me to finally get to the right place. I'd say she sometimes had to use the needle 4-5 times, and my eye was numb before my mouth was! Plus she pretty much insisted on the Novacaine, and I conceded so that I wouldn't have to go through her guessing some more. But it makes my heart race like crazy... Learned to go with a full meal first so it was not as bad. Maybe the opposite would work for yours to take effect ok? Make sure you don't eat anything ahead of time?

I stayed with her as she was a local girl returning to the area with a new practice, but after several visits to get a broken tooth fixed, and another one capped, I decided enough was enough. Next time I'll try to find someone in "Big City" who does understand where the nerves are supposed to be.

I've had lots of work done over the years, and never had so much trouble before. Wonder if they went to the same dental school?!?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

My mouth just does not take to freezing very well, and once I've had all the injections, you can't leave me for an hour, I have to be worked on immediately or it'll wear off!

Eta... Has anyone ever had a nerve struck by a needle?? Eeeeee!! Not fun at all!

Just had some dental work done after avoiding it for a while
    My dentist is super concerned and careful. He kind of vibrates the area he is numbing which greatly reduces the sensation of the needle. There is adrenaline in the 'caine he uses so he doublechecks health records and asks and then warns about feeling the racing heart. Does numb more quickly though! He did test first and had to add more stuff.
    Now I wish they had a reversal agent so I wouldnt have to have half my face numb for hours...
    And I am hoping that it is only temporary, but the crown I had done is still quite sensitive to cold a week later.

Ugh. I need more 'caine than average - that natural redhead thing: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...ing-a-redhead/

I despise going to the dentist. My first fillings were a terrible experience and I have never forgotten them. I must force myself to go twice a year.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Yep, me. I think it is hereditary as my mother is the same way. I underreact to local anesthetics and whatever that "twilight sleep" drug is. Fortunately, my teeth are good, I've only had one filling and it was so shallow that they just drilled it without Novacaine and it didn't hurt.

I've had Novacaine for stitching lacerations and it took a TON and still didn't really work. Same with spinals for my c-sections...I still had a "window" where I could feel things at doses where they told me they couldn't give me any more. And, the drug they use to induce "twilight sleep" for colonoscopies...I've been wide awake for them because they'd give me the normal dose, plus more, plus more and I'd still be totally conscious, so they gave up and just told me not to move.

I've only had general anaethesia once and it seemed to work just fine. Don't know what drugs they used.

Fortunately, along with the under reaction to some anaesthetics comes a pretty high pain tolerance. It would really stink if that weren't true.

I'm resistant to it -- it usually takes at least twice a normal dose for me, and sometimes more. I broke my thumb when I was 7, and the doctor told my mom there was no way I could feel what he was doing after he numbed it, and that I was just screaming to be dramatic. I still remember how much that hurt! And I hate going to a new dentist because they never believe me.

Last year I had surgery to correct a slightly deviated septum, and the doctor wanted to do a local anesthetic, which I wasn't thrilled about. During pre-op, the anesthesiologist came over to talk to me, and I told him about my Novocaine woes. He said, well then, I'm putting you under. I don't mess around with people like you. Love that guy!
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I always have to get more, more, more until I'm numb- BUT I think if my dentist (aka my dad) gave the first shots a bit longer to work, I would not need as many.

One time he numbed me first and then ran to fill a cavity on my brother and I only needed one round. Typically I leave with my eye, nose, ear and mouth numb.

Yep. Redhead also. I need a TON of the stuff to feel any numbness and usually by the time they get to that amount, either the first round has started to wear off or they aren't comfortable giving me more so it's rarely worth the effort. Doesn't provide much relief. I'm a veteran of stitches & dental procedures performed with the "grip the chair & tell 'em to hurry" method.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

There is something odd about the anatomy of my back teeth and/or the nerves that feed them. One dentist described it as an extra nerve. My current dentist says that it's not an extra nerve, just an oddly-placed one. My childhood/young adult dentist had no clue and every time he worked on a back tooth it was like having it done without being numbed. I just figured it was supposed to hurt all those years.

My dad has the same thing.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post
    Ugh. I need more 'caine than average - that natural redhead thing: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...ing-a-redhead/

I despise going to the dentist. My first fillings were a terrible experience and I have never forgotten them. I must force myself to go twice a year.
    OMG, I had no idea! And that explains a lot. Including the reason that I used to scream during dentist visits as a child and neither of my sisters did.

Add me to the camp of those who always need several extra shots to even approach numbness.

Quote Originally Posted by Emryss View Post

Wow, that's fascinating. Must forward it on...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Novicaine had zero effect on our son and limited sucess on the other kids; they are not redheads either.

Anesthesiologist had to be forwarned