The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Coming from someone who's most posts are bad mouthing top dressage riders/trainers... Pros you've never met/ride in front/assist a clinic from.
    There was a video series released just recently which included me riding for a BNT trainer.

Me thinks you know not much darlin'.....

1 members found this post helpful.

This is classic COTH dressage forum - how do you know that 'most people' do or do not do (or know) something. I always feel a bit insulted at the superiority some people seem to express on this forum. ... I prefer to think I'm not one of the masses with all that knowledge lacking.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    By the time a horse is 2-3, they should have ground manners. Training doesn't start when you want to start riding them. I used my horse as a saddle rack when I was tacking up her mother. By the time she was weaned she lead, loaded, tied and wore a girthed up saddle. At a year she wore a bridle. By the time I got on her at 3 the only new thing was me sitting on her. She's had years of being messed with to get used to everything else.

That's not always practical for larger operations, but leading, loading, tying, etc. should at the very least be accomplished by one year. It doesn't guarantee they're dead broke schoolmasters, but you shouldn't need to put in major work to have a well behaved horse that young.
    Agreed. I can't speak to my friend's horse's pre-starting handling background. Her horse is a DWB, mine a sporthorse bred Araloosa. I purchased mine as an unstarted 2.5 year old. He DID lead, tie, load (slowly) and stand for vet/farrier. However, he would balk and barge a bit and you had to INSIST on him picking up his feet - but he didn't pull away, just was "glued" to the ground on occasion. Colt-starter refurbished and added to his ground manners. So, the breeder had done some work, but she had a lot of babies. I was happy enough that a two year old led, loaded and stood for handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    No one is certainly holding a gun to anyone's head. BUT a lot of people are spending a lot of time bad mouthing what is on offer. Some of what is 'on offer' at the dressage summit was useful to the winner of the mustang thingy. (per my OP) And others. So I don't think it is really justified to abuse the 'summit' folks as much as folks do.

Considering that the ONE person who actually went liked it. I can't find much logic in a bunch of people who DID NOT GO proclaiming how much it sucked.
    I'm one of the people who didn't go. My knowledge of the clinic came exclusively from the clips posted and one poster's blog. In the blog the poster mentioned that the way to get rid of adrenaline was to run it off. Then we see this clip
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater
    Is this how you would have handled this situation?
    In another clip CH is having a rider gallop an upper level horse around the arena on a loose rein increase suppleness. HUH???
    Prices to attend were $95 for a one day pass to $395 for 3 day VIP tickets. IMHO, based on the clips and blog the participants would have gotten much more value and education by spending that money on a few lessons. I didn't see a whole lot of dressagin' goin' on.

ETA: I guess my main issue is the title "Dressage Summit" It looked more like "Beginning Horsemanship 102"
    Last edited by carolprudm; Mar. 1, 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    There was a video series released just recently which included me riding for a BNT trainer.

Me thinks you know not much darlin'.....
    So there is one BNT you haven't badmouthed because your rode in her clinic?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I'm one of the people who didn't go. My knowledge of the clinic came exclusively from the clips posted and one poster's blog. In the blog the poster mentioned that the way to get rid of adrenaline was to run it off. Then we see this clip
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater
    Is this how you would have handled this situation?
    In another clip CH is having a rider gallop an upper level horse around the arena on a loose rein increase suppleness. HUH???
    Prices to attend were $95 for a one day pass to $395 for 3 day VIP tickets. IMHO, based on the clips and blog the participants would have gotten much more value and education by spending that money on a few lessons. I didn't see a whole lot of dressagin' goin' on.
    Geez....Going to see Hilda Gurney teach for the day and it's only $50.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    Wasn't Karin Rohlf the one with the Dressage Pool Noodles?
    Not exactly, because POOL NOODLE NOT INCLUDED

http://shop.dressagenaturally.net/Si...l-p/ndlkit.htm
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Not exactly, because POOL NOODLE NOT INCLUDED

http://shop.dressagenaturally.net/Si...l-p/ndlkit.htm
    Think of Dressage, yes, with the Capital "D," as analagous to "Classical Music." As an inveterate NPR listener, I can attest that in the scheme of things, a steadily exclusive diet of Classical Music requires some, er, "staying power." Especially when they play those damned Etudes that sound like bugs sawing on their legs, over and over and OVER. The auditory equivalent of an endless First Level circle, you might say.

Well! No matter how dedicated one might be to the ideal of Classical Music, no matter how erudite in matters of Mozart and Heiden, no matter how conversant one might be with the nuances in the string section of the Orchestra of St. Martin in the Fields, here and there the devil makes you do it--YA JUST GOTTA HAVE A LITTLE LYNRD SKYNRD!!!

Now, should those whose idea of Music is a steady, daily dose of Eric Clapton burning his gee-tar to the strains of Layla wish to partake of our rarefied universe of "Classical Music," you would fault them?

Hey, we all have our vices!

*Haydn.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cnm161 View Post
    *Haydn.
    Copeland, Mozart, Stravinsky, Ralph Vaughn Williams, and ....Creedence Clearwater Revival (which reveals how old I am, sigh.)

I play Classical all day long at work, low volume, keeps me grounded. But I'd like to do a freestyle to some bluegrass (e.g., Ry Cooder's score for The Long Riders). Different strokes. But WD as presently constituted is still NOT "Big D" dressage and no amount of calling it "dressage" will make it so.

Cool The new dressage.....

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    Don't bother, people. This is the same clip that caused the second most recent WD train wreck.

Sandy M, you are right on.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I occasionally pop into the Western forum just to see what's going on.

I started out "Western" as a kid in Texas, rode "Western" working cattle at my cousin's ranch. Sometimes I rode "western" in an English saddle, because it fit he horse I was riding that day better than the Western one I had.

I don't go to the Western forum to poke the posters there. the ignore feature is your friend, folks.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Don't bother, people. This is the same clip that caused the second most recent WD train wreck.

Sandy M, you are right on.
    Actually it looked like a fun pattern to ride though i wouldn't call it dressage
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

4 members found this post helpful.