The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another pricing question...

Longtime lurker here, and looking for some input on pricing.

I have a mare that I've been so far unsuccessful in selling, but usually have no issue leasing her during the summers. I will try to list as much info as I can without making this sound like an ad...

Horse is an upper teens quarter horse type mare, and a sturdy 15.2 hands. She has a light record of local hunter shows with children and adults where she was always in the ribbons. Has been shown to 3'6, but probably best to keep her around 2'3-2'6 - a good rider could get her around a 3' course. Pretty, but not overly fancy - definitely a local-type confidence builder. Smooth gaits, get's a clean simple or a change with an adv rider, can take a joke, but requires a strong leg to move forward. Absolutely no maintenance, 100% sound, and no health issues. No vices, good temperament.

I've used her as and leased her out as a lesson/summer camp horse with no issues. She's a barn favorite. She just won't leave my barn! lol If it makes a difference, I'm in the mid-Atlantic.

What range should I be looking to get for her? I've been told I'd be lucky just to give her away, while someone else in the area suggested 3-5. I don't want to overprice and not have any interest at all (which has been the case), but I don't want to sell myself short either. She's a nice horse. I know her age might scare people away, but this girl doesn't look or act it.

1,500-3,500

2500 to 3000 if she is truly a packer type.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Thank you for your replies. I see I have her priced right, just wish she would find a new home!

Last summer, I sold my QH Gelding (13 years) that had more or less the same experience and description as your horse for $3,500. I sold him through Dreamhorse.com, and he went to a great home where he could do local shows and be used as a trail horse. All in all, a good fit.

Also, fwiw, post a video in whatever add you place. It really helps.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Where are you located?
    I'm about an hour and change west of Washington DC. Not far from Winchester, Middleburg, Upperville, etc.

Low to mid four figures, OBO.

If she's the quiet type, what about marketing her to low level pony club riders in your area?
    Around here horses like her go fast priced in the $3000-$5000 range. She sounds like she'd be the perfect step up for a rider going from a beginner pony to their first horse.

I would think she would go fairly easy in that area for the price I mentioned. The right one will come along. Good luck