The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default California Peeps, how many of you...

...attend clinics? I'm thinking of organizing and want to know who you're interested in and what time of year you'd most likely to attend. Some of the clinicians I've considered are:

Bernie Trauring
    Geoff Teal
    Greg Best
    Frank Madden
    Will or Nicole Simpson

Location would vary, remaining largely central to SF and LA.

Any suggestions/input is appreciated

I have done:

Eddie Macken (loved)
    Bernie Traurig (was helpful)
    Linda Allen (amazing from a trainer/course designing/teaching point of view)

Audited Geoff Teall (hilarious and insightful)
    Audited Greg Best (mixed feelings - I might have to actually ride in the clinic before making a judgment)

Can you get Joe Fargis? I really really want to ride with him. haha

On your list, I'd probably be most interested in riding with Frank Madden.

Winter is good. Weekends are tougher for professionals but probably better for amateurs.

I'm on the peninsula just south of SF. PM me when you get your clinic date!

I have not done any clinics (just *really* getting into showing), but would love to do one with Frank Madden. My barn also did a couple with Linda Allen last year, and I kind of audited one of her clinics before.

I am north of SF.

Buddy Brown is local, he is awesome!
    Bernie Traurig, did a clinic, not really what I expected. There was no warm up, you just started jumping.
    Will or Nicki would be great too!

Quote Originally Posted by runwayz View Post
    Bernie Traurig, did a clinic, not really what I expected. There was no warm up, you just started jumping.
    Interesting...we did lots of flatwork in the clinic that I did. Musta been on a flatwork kick at the time!

George Morris is coming to a barn near me this winter very excited to audit.

I second winter- anyone not doing indoors are still able to fine tune their game this way!
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"

I've only done clinics with Greg Best (3 times...love him) and with Don Sachey (1 time...not so much with the love). I have audited George Morris once. I might try for a Joe Fargis soon and would love to do a Linda Allen clinic.

I think Fall and Spring can be the best times. Winter is just too dicey with rain and unless you have a decent sized indoor or all weather footing...and your target audience knows that...you will lose a lot of people. We Californians melt in the rain, don't you know. (and how fun is it to ride in the rain? Not much, once you are past the age of 12).

I would love to do some true hunter clinics. Most of what is available to me is either jumper or an all around approach (Greg Best).
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by MakinItHappen View Post
    ...attend clinics? I'm thinking of organizing and want to know who you're interested in and what time of year you'd most likely to attend. Some of the clinicians I've considered are:

Bernie Trauring
    Geoff Teal
    Greg Best
    Frank Madden
    Will or Nicole Simpson

Location would vary, remaining largely central to SF and LA.

Any suggestions/input is appreciated
    I feel like any of the above professionals run a great clinic but the are all very common here. Geoff Teal just had one here, Frank Madden is brought down by some of his old clients who are now trainers each year. Will and Bernie would be my best suggestions. They are also both able to do privates.

Just wanted to say that it would be nice to have any of the big names come in around the Sacramento area (but a bit east of Hunterville and Patty Ball). We have a bumpin' horse community, with Murrieta, Leone's, Sonoma Horse Park, and the like, and not al lof us have the time to drive down to the Woodside area for a weekend.

Also, publicize! Somehow, I haven't been able to find out about clinics until they're over.

I'm excited to see what you decide on!

I go to clinics, several a year! Located in the SF Area!

Clinicians I've ridden with and am interested in riding with again:

Linda Hough
    Lauren Hough
    Robert Gage
    George Morris

I'd love to ride with:

Frank Madden
    Susie Hutchinson
    Stacia Madden
    Anne Kursinski
    aka most BNT/BNR
    If only horses would use their athletic powers for good instead of evil. ~ MHM

I've only ever audited ... George Morris and Linda Hough.

Maybe next year I can ride in one... it would be awesome to see who you can get around me (East Bay)
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

YaY! replies
    As a newbie, I'm thrilled to see responses that help me in my quest. Remebering my password to log in again didn't go as smooth

I've contacted some clinicians and have had immediate correspondence from:
    Bernie Trauig
    Eddie Macken
    and
    Geoff Teal

It seems farily straight forward to arrange a clinic with any of them and I am in the process of booking Bernie with date TBD.

I thought that Greg Best would be a shoe-in as he does clinic in CA regularly and I was hopeful that a central location would be appealing. (there was promise of a regular location that is farily central but the organizer moved barns and has kinda dissappeared
    But even with the contact info clearly posted on his site, I have yet to get a reply to my THREE requests for clinic requirements...

Linda Allen has been more difficult to contact but I may have an in with a judge who knows her. Which leads me to the following question:

Rugbug, (and any others who may be desiring a Hunter-based clinician) would you attend (as participant or paid auditor) a clinic by a USHJA "R" Judge who travels the country and has judged Hunters; Pennsylvania National Horse Show, Washington International Horse Show, Devon Horse Show and the USEF Junior Hunter Finals...?

Also, do most of you have an interest in a one-day clinic or multiple...(three)? I personally find that a three-day clinic offers an opportunity for education well beyond a one-time-view.

Thanks again for taking time to post your opinions!

I know Greg's wife did a lot of that stuff and I believe she is quite pregnant at the moment to maybe that's a reason for the delay.

I've cliniced with Greg a lot and really have learned a lot from him

Eddie is a really great clinician as well, I'm thinking if taking some clinics from him but he's definitely more jumper based.

I also recommend kip rosenthol, the local organization here has brought her for a year end clinic a couple of time and I thought she was very good.

I thought that Greg Best would be a shoe-in as he does clinic in CA regularly and I was hopeful that a central location would be appealing. (there was promise of a regular location that is farily central but the organizer moved barns and has kinda dissappeared
    But even with the contact info clearly posted on his site, I have yet to get a reply to my THREE requests for clinic requirements...
    I believe Greg has a pretty full schedule already...and Slamdunk is correct: His wife is very pregnant at the moment. They are working to re-vamp the traveling schedule so Greg is gone in shorter bursts, instead of for months at a time.

Rugbug, (and any others who may be desiring a Hunter-based clinician) would you attend (as participant or paid auditor) a clinic by a USHJA "R" Judge who travels the country and has judged Hunters; Pennsylvania National Horse Show, Washington International Horse Show, Devon Horse Show and the USEF Junior Hunter Finals...?
    Maybe. It would depend on who and where and how much....as with any clinic. I can say I would, but the budget is small and traveling too far is not any fun. When you say "centrally located" what do you mean by that?
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I just bought a great horse and one of my goals for 2013 is to do a clinic... I am in OC - is there like a centralized list / website for upcoming clinics in the area?

A couple others that I have used for clinics for my students and that have been very helpful: Don Simington and Edgar Pagan. Students of all levels worked hard and feedback was great.

Here's a recap of a recent Bernie Traurig clinic by one of the participants on the barn blog.
    "My fellow ... rider, Christina said that “the most important thing I learned was how to use my hands and leg to correct Holly’s (Holiday’s) bulging as we approach the jumps. It was amazing how well it worked! He had me move my two hands together in the direction I wanted the horse to move while using leg. Holly was so much straighter."
    http://hunterjumperblog.chestnuthill...ndbQks-8.email

I would love to attend a hunter clinic (in So Cal) especially with someone who judges around the country regularly. It is always great to get an objective "first impression" opinion, as each time you step into the show ring, you are having to make a new first impression. It is also a good way to keep up on judging trends.

I am organizing one for Rob Gage in December in Norco. Not too far from Orange County and Northern San Diego County.

I'll be attending the Eddie Macken Clinic Nov30-Dec2 at Hummingbird Nest Ranch. Excited for a clinician outside the norm. Will report back!