The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone follow the Grateful Dead or Phish or similar? How's that work?

Some barefoot tie-dye friends of mine in college did this. It sounded all free and communal and livin' off the fat o' the land.

But I think is was expensive and maybe wet, cold hungry sometimes.

Anyone done it in person?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I learned to ride at a farm in Novato in the late '60s that was a commune where the Dead lived, Rancho Olompali aka C Bar N Ranch. I almost ran over Jerry Garcia once. The high school I went to was about 3 blocks from the Dead's business office. I worked in a sandwich shop that was across the street and they would come in frequently. They did sound checks at local clubs and the local college all the time. I went to Pig Pen's funeral. I saw the Dead more time than I can count but I never travelled far to do it. A couple of my brothers were roadies for them and would get us backstage passes all the time. That was pretty fun.

Phil Lesh has a club in San Rafael now that is a pretty cool place to go. It is called Terrapin Crossroads.

http://www.terrapincrossroads.net
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

A friend of mine in college had followed Phish for a couple of years. She and some friends had a camper. They made and sold grilled cheese sandwiches at the shows (and, reading between the lines, also drugs). It was just enough to feed them and put gas in the camper. She did that for a couple of years, decided it was enough, and went to school. I always found it a little odd, but I suppose there's worse things than bumming around for a few years.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I followed the Dead for the better part of a year back in the 80s. We sold beer, grilled cheese sandwiches, and cigarettes at the shows. If we were lucky we made enough money to put gas in the car to get to the next show. If not, we stopped at police stations where we would get gas vouchers that would get us to the next town, where we would stop at the police station there for another gas voucher. We would make stops at churches for food. It was a challenging way of life but I'm grateful (pun intended) for the experience.

My SO goes to a lot of shows.... many are rich kids apparently (today). Trustafarians he calls them. Or they sell drugs. Or they are normal professionals using vacation days.

My sons have been known to follow Phish around and about, often travelling great distances (like across the country and the world). Been going on for years, but not as much anymore. Heard some stories, seen some pictures...that's enough. But I love the Dead and Phish!
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Love the Dead, and Furthur which is the current band with Bob Weir, Phil Lesch and John K. Who they got from Dark Star Orchestra (Dead cover band) as a Jerry Garcia figure. Sirius channel 23 is the Grateful Dead channel. The female vocalist for Furthur is Sunshine Becker, which is really cool. check out some YouTube videos of Furthur, particularly from New Year's Eve 2012, or at Red Rocks.

I went to a few Dead concerts in the 70's, but mostly didn't have the time or money to do more. Still my favorite band!
    Last edited by pony4me; Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Pardon the spelling and caps. iPad.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

You know, drugs, alcohol and whatnot... a grilled cheese would be good in the mix. I see why that was a money-making item.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

My step-brother and a few of his friends followed Phish for a couple years after he graduated. He lived in an old van he bought from my dad for $500. Sold pot and acid to pay for gas and food. Said it was the best two years of his life.

2 members found this post helpful.

I like Ben and Jerrys Phish Food ice cream...does that count?

1 members found this post helpful.

MVP, you start such interesting threads! When I see a new intriguing OT thread, its so often from you - I imagine you as a female Jerry Seinfeld..."Sooo, the Dead...Phish...how does that work?"

Big Dead fan here, but couldn't afford to follow. Love 'em best right AFTER the Stones... I was at UVM long before Phish, and the Dead were VERY popular!

Hmmm...
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein