The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Coming from a non-show person, this is insane. Were this to happen as a horse were preparing to race (either warming up on the track pre-race or in the paddock or on the walk over), horse would be scratched, sent back to the barn, and likely put on either the vet's or steward's list, meaning it would need clearance before being allowed to enter another race.

WTF, hunter-jumpers? Seriously...WTF?
    That is because racing is done with multiple horses on the field, moving at very high rate of speed. A horse collapsing in that is not just dangerous for one horse and rider but a whole field of galloping horses.
    If this horse was drugged and did collapse I don't think it should have shown same day unless a logical reason was found for it happening (pinch vegas nerve or something) but the reason a racehorse needs to be cleared isn't really for it's own welfare but for the whole field of horses.

That's not my point. My point is, racehorse demonstrates it's not fit to compete (flips, falls down, freezes up, WHATEVER), horse doesn't get to play. Them's the rules, period.

And h/j folks say racing is cruel. Unbelievable.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

26 members found this post helpful.

wow the stands are empty...have to admit jumpers are more exciting. I hadn't looked at the schedule...assumed it was jumpers but didn't go and now glad that I didn't.

The poor horses don't get much rest and a sleep deprived horse may be sluggish and may even have a narcoletic event. The show must go on and if you are here competing, you have the horse examined and make the decision. you and I wouldn't be getting on that horse...but we're not as competitive as they are apparently.

Lots of pretty greys...
    Last edited by uphill; Feb. 23, 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: grammer

Will be excited to see if Parkland shows tonight. He qualified...

Quote Originally Posted by Piggiejump View Post
    2- Parkland was standing at the ring being held by a groom waiting to show when he collapsed. No one was riding him. Lillie was waiting nearby and saw the event, and horse was sent back to barn to be checked by vet. Nothing seemed wrong with him, vet cleared him to show, he returned to ring and won classes.

NOTHING SEEMED WRONG WITH HIM. Seriously? A normal, healthy animal does NOT just collapse randomly with "NOTHING" being wrong with it. Any responsible owner would have pulled that horse from showing immediately. I would have fired any vet that told me to put him back in the ring. Unbelieveable.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dp1092 View Post
    Will be excited to see if Parkland shows tonight. He qualified...
    Yep. Just went. 83.5, horse got around fine but IMO his hind end was a little funky, didn't really seem to pick up the back legs and landed hard.

3 members found this post helpful.

83.5 for Parkland... Commentary was saying how "calm" he was over and over again. Guess he was well "prepared", whether with chemicals or otherwise.

10 members found this post helpful.

Parkland just went...announcer commented about his relaxed, quiet way of going. The are ranked 5th after the ride.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggiejump View Post
    Wow. What amazes me me if the amount of speculation and jumping to conclusions going on....

1-Bases Loaded was a catch ride. Lillie meet the horse at the ring and got on. Any prep he received had nothing to do with Lillie. And I cannot say I agree that is why he tripped. I think he was tired after showing in 3 or 4 divisions that week and just stumbled in that footing, which has absolutely no give when they do stumble.

2- Parkland was standing at the ring being held by a groom waiting to show when he collapsed. No one was riding him. Lillie was waiting nearby and saw the event, and horse was sent back to barn to be checked by vet. Nothing seemed wrong with him, vet cleared him to show, he returned to ring and won classes.

He is not a catch ride but a lease, and is under the care of Lillie's trainers, who have not had ANY USEF drug related infractions, despite consistently having more horses at the shows than any other barn.

Those are the facts. Please do not be quick to incriminate a young girl because she has been involved with two freak incidences.
    Heck of coincidences/bad luck.!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by uphill View Post
    Parkland just went...announcer commented about his relaxed, quiet way of going. The are ranked 5th after the ride.
    Are you freaking kidding me? Unvelievable. [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 27, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

10 members found this post helpful.

We don't know for sure whether the horse was drugged, though there are a lot of red flags here. (Enough to be VERY disturbing!!!)

But we do know this horse apparently collapsed and was competing later the same day. There really is no good excuse for this in my book. If the horse comes first, this just won't happen. I just cannot imagine doing this to one of my horses. This is an example of people taking advantage of a poor animal that cannot protect itself.

Sad. Very sad.

Too many people in h/j land turn a blind eye to the drugging and the over-working. The culture is such that grooms sign on as trainers and there's just not enough accountability. I really wish that would change.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

17 members found this post helpful.

So just a thought, why do all the haters continue to watch? I train racehorses , but I am enjoying watching this.Seems if it were my sport I wouldn't knock it so much. I wonder how much is envy. Seems if you win to much in racing , same thing happens, the knockers all want to say your using something. Sometimes all people are using is the best horse.

Flypony, just barf!! Please. That's a long, ridiculous stretch of the imagination.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

13 members found this post helpful.

I'm assuming any vet worth the paper his/her degree is printed on told them that the horse appeared fine and it was probably nothing but told them he/she couldn't say that the horse was fine. So many times people hear what they want to in those conversations. Probably told to let the horse rest but people do what they want anyway.

Louise Serio and Castle Rock lead...braided by a friend of mine...

I am a hunter rider although certainly not living in a bubble. I would never show one of my horses or anyone else's if it collapsed that day or that week honestly. My primary concern is always for my horses' health and well-being as well as my own safety. Just crazy! Poor sweet horses - either drugged, unsound or exhausted - its not right.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

5 members found this post helpful.

Default relax

Quote Originally Posted by BostonHJ View Post
    Will be interesting to see what he looks like for tonight's event - I remember Lillie's mount last year raised a lot of eyebrows.
    He looks fab tonite.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Fan View Post
    He looks fab tonite.
    Really?? His round looked stiff and forced to me.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

5 members found this post helpful.

WTH...live streaming is off the air!!! ?????

Mine is fine - watching USEF network.