The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

This is exactly the problem. What they say and what they practice are two different things. If a horse plays is "underprepared" but at the same time "oh we are going to start allowing the hunters play" meanwhile the ones going around like zoombies are the winners. It's all bs. Just something to say.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ain-palm-beach

-Lillie Keenan's ride Parkland caused a ruckus in the schooling area yesterday when he dropped and rolled—with the saddle on—before the first small junior, 16-17, class. Luckily it was a false alarm.

“We were standing at the ring and he was stung by a bee on his stomach. When you’re a bystander you don’t know what’s gong on,” said Keenan who described Parkland as particular about who and what he likes. “Even for me I didn’t realize he’d been stung and right away, our first reaction was is he colicking. We immediately took him back to the barn and our vet was there waiting for him.”

Veterinarian Kit Miller checked out Parkland thoroughly and found just the bee sting. Parkland was his normal self in his stall, eating and happy. So as the class was still running, so he returned to the ring to show, picking up a pair of blue ribbons and a yellow, to help him with the grand junior hunter championship. He also finished ninth in the Spectacular, while Keenan’s other ride, Madison, took fourth.

2 members found this post helpful.

So it was actually a bee sting? Now them showing him later makes sense to me.

A bee sting, was it? A good old fashion roll? I seldom venture into this forum, but, I dare say, it has been a hoot.

10 members found this post helpful.

Hmmm... any time I've been around a horse stung by a bee, they don't drop, they run, buck, etc. Just sayin'.

I think the whole situation in Hunterland is sad... but it's all about the money. Money corrupts all sports and there will always be people who try to win at any cost. Hopefully, it will catch up to those people someday, just like it did with Lance Armstrong. But the USET has to really want to do something about it, and not just turn a blind eye to the abuse.

I'm glad I don't participate in the A show circuit.

19 members found this post helpful.

I realize this is probably a stupid thing to say, but what is the actual point of drugging a horse like that?

Yes. Apparently multiple times. Seems it happened with a different horse last year, too (though I don't remember that one actually falling down...just stumbling and tripping like a drunkard trying to walk home).
    There is no way in hell I'd get on...let alone jump a horse that fell that day.
    I hope this is a rumor.... but sooner or later someone is going to get seriously injured if this crap keeps going on.

Though... if it was just a bee sting, shit happens. I hope to god that is the case and not a case of meds gone wrong. Seriously, if your horse collapses due to meds and you get back on and show, you are a dumbass. I think even cheaters have a sense of self preservation.

But how sad that a reaction to a simple beesting is assumed to be drugging gone wrong. Time for hunters to clean up....

4 members found this post helpful.

Just want to say myself, it is really sad as to what some people practice. It's not good to make accusations however it IS out there an more people need to be honest about it. I hope the day comes when it's nipped in the butt however people will always find a shortcut.

Last years ride on Bases Loaded is so sad to watch. She had about 4 hints before the actual fall to call it quits. Whether it was because of drugs or not, the horse obviously did not have the strength to do it that day.

Btw the bee sting excuse is a little stinky imo.

11 members found this post helpful.

A bee sting in February?

Not saying it's impossible, but that doesn't seem super likely. I was just at WEF a couple weeks ago and I don't remember an abundance of insects...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

10 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if the horse was stung or not but there are bees here in Florida right now, just saw a huge one yesterday and I am a couple of 100 miles north of Wellington.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't believe the bee sting story. Not one bit. Horses don't react but dropping and rolling, they go berserk. Just how does a vet find a bee sting, anyway? I just don't believe it in the smallest bit.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Halter6 View Post
    I don't believe the bee sting story. Not one bit. Horses don't react but dropping and rolling, they go berserk. Just how does a vet find a bee sting, anyway? I just don't believe it in the smallest bit.
    They welt up very quickly. Sometimes you can actually find the stingers and pull them out.

Actually it could have happened as she says.

Even though most horses will swish their tail, move around and become agitated when a bee is buzzing around, if Parkland's demeanor at the time was anything like it was last night (half asleep) it could be that he simply.......fainted.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

7 members found this post helpful.

No comment on the specifics of this situation.

But I will say that I once had a narcoleptic horse who would occasionally drop to his knees while standing quietly--he would fall asleep before his knees locked. He would only do it while standing and calm for a long time--never while I was riding him. (I also once had *another* narcoleptic horse drop out from under me while I was standing on a ladder braiding her--that was exciting.)

All of which is to say that there are circumstances under which a horse could fall and still be perfectly safe to show.

5 members found this post helpful.

I've been looking through the Chronicle's photo galleries of WEF.

The horses are so beautiful. It struck me , that is why I continue to watch the hunters (last night, I was wondering why I keep watching..).

I just have to remind myself that not ALL the competitors are mistreating their horses.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I dont know any of the parties involved, and maybe its true that drugging was involved (ok, maybe more than likely!)...however I have been ringside holding a horse who suddenly went down. First the knees dropped, then stumbled and fell over. Horse checked out completely fine and vet felt strongly that it was some sort of narcoleptic event. He was a modified horse, and proceeded to show the rest of the weekend with no further concerns and never had another episode. No drugs involved on this one for sure!

I also have had a horse fall in the ring, land akward and roll right over. He also wasnt drugged (actually, if you were to drug him he would need adrenalin!) but just landed wrong.

I hope for the horses sake he is ok, and that if drugs were involved there was a lesson learned. Its sad that the sport has come to this, that something strange happens and we all assume its because the horses were drugged. Unfortunatley many times its true.

I have also had a horse go down standing ringside. My own horse at Devon, who I can promise you up and down has probably had bute in his life as many times as I can count on my hands (he's tough!) and was not on a thing for weeks prior and at the show. One minute we're standing by the ring watching schooling-- the next his legs were going out from under him. We got him up/alert and walked him around and he was fine.

We didn't realize it then, but the poor thing wasn't sleeping a wink at away shows and he was just so exhausted that he literally couldn't stay awake on his feet unless he was moving. He's since learned to sleep in different stalls and doesn't have this issue. He only did this once, but it was scary none-the-less and very sudden.

As soon as he was moving again, he was fine. He did go on to show and turned that lack of sleep into crankiness and did one tempis in the class So... he was fine. No long-term ill effects and plenty sound enough to show if a little grumpy.

So there are legitimate veterinary reasons why horses can behave this way. No idea what happened in this case.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

My old stoic appy was attacked by yellow jackets as he was tied after a ride. He danced around... there were "hundreds of them". He did not welt up at all - I did have to pull hundreds of bee-butts out of him. But saying that every horse reacts different to different situations. I have a horse with allergies and he trots and rolls at the same time to scratch.

Those that weren't there regardless if you despise the A Hunters try to put yourself in their shoes. These horses are worth a huge amount of money and I would bet they want the very best for them.

I don't think anyone would like it if you were competing in your sport of choice - even be it trail riding and your horse tripped on a rain ditch and everyone started saying your horse was drugged. Or your horse rolled in the water with you on him (I have seen that happen) and your horse collapsed from exhaustion.

Most of these Hunters get treated like kings, better than many horse I see around...
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Default Treated like kings?

The horses are treated like kings in whose opinion? The horses'? I doubt it. Being stalled with hardly any (if any) turnout, and then when there is turnout, it's solitary to minimize the chance of any accidents/injuries (and I know some horses are tranq'd before being turned out to minimize the chance of the horses running around...i.e., acting like a horse). Perhaps they are treated like kings in the owners' opinions.
    Last edited by lep; Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: To correct my horrendous typo so as to show Goldie Locks that I'm not uneducated.

14 members found this post helpful.

^Have to tell you, my horse hates turnout. She goes out and rolls and then wants to be hand grazed. She's not treated like a king, but she is definitely treated like a princess.

Just because it's different from what you think is ideal doesn't mean that the horses are unhappy and suffering.

14 members found this post helpful.

I agree with lep. I think a lot of top horses (in all disciplines), getting chiro, massage, the best feed, the best farrier, and the best vet, living in a fancy barn nicer than 99% of people's houses would be happy to give some of that up for 24 hour turnout with a bunch of other horses rather than spending weeks on the road in a strange place. JMO.

Actually, I think the less-expensive horses who get very good (if maybe not "the best") care, are the happiest. Not saying the others don't adjust or aren't happy. Just that, given the choice, I think they'd be much happier with a lower level ammy not working as hard, and spending more time just "being a horse."

8 members found this post helpful.