The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony hunter barns in MD?

Hi guys! Ive been searching for a new barn now for a while without any luck. I compete in the large pony hunters and hope to make it to pony finals Unfortunately, the barn I ride at now does not attend rated shows, which I want to start doing. The barn I am at right now is in Sykesville MD, so if anyone knows of any farms near by that would be good for me, I would much appreciate it! Thanks soo muchh!!!!!

Try Rolling Acres or ESP Farm, both are in Brookeville and both can offer exactly what you are looking for. Rolling Acres is slightly bigger and has more young riders if that's important to you.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a friend who rides out of ESP and loves it. Baywood also goes to a lot of shows and I believe they sponsor the Black Eyed Susan series.

Thanks for the suggestions! I noticed both ESP and rolling acres go down to Florida for the winter. Are their still other trainers/horses that stay up in MD for students that cannot afford to show down in FL?

Yes, ESP's people actually go to Rolling Acres and sort of combine for the winter, Rolling Acres has a trainer that stays behind for the local people.

Walnut Pond is in the same area as ESP & Rolling Acres. They stay in MD for the winter and show.

Also try Kim Williams at Willow Wood in Woodbine. Lots of kids and local rated shows.

poniesforever, please feel free to PM me with specific Rolling Acres questions, I've been there almost 6 years and can answer most questions or direct you to someone who can. That said, you can't go wrong with ESP either, our two groups do a lot together.
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

@Heineken- Thanks so much I PMed you with a few questions

@Indy- Do you know if walnut pond does rated shows?

Yes, WPF does rateds. Mostly Swan Lake in the winter, then elsewhere in MD/VA/PA the rest of the year. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions about the barn

Thanks Indy, I just PMed you

You may also want to try Pickwick Stables in Sykesville - Jamey does lots of rated shows throughout the year including Culpeper, McDonough, Swan Lake, Quentin, and Lexington etc. My daughter is 16 and has been showing with him since she was 8. He also has a very competitive IEA team.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Bridgette Pony Mom

Don't forget Persimmon Tree Farm (Carolyn and Kenny Krome) on Bloom Road in Westminster. But Rolling Acres does sound right up your alley.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

In pm'ing with the OP it came out she doesn't actually own a horse or pony so that really limits her quite a bit more.
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?