The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Default Horse Ridden by Keenan Dropping at WEF yesterday?

Heard that Parkland dropped while schooling at WEF yesterday/ a few days ago. [edit] Lillie Keenan was riding. Horse was rushed off to barn, vet followed, horse competed in classes later that day, placing 1st, 1st, and 3rd.

Can anyone down in Wellington verify this? This is a highly disturbing rumor.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 27, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

It is a sad, sick life for top hunters.

15 members found this post helpful.

Whoa. Is this true? Because that is beyond disturbing. I watched the jr. hunters go this morning while I had breakfast and I saw Parkland go -he won. Thought he had an different way of using his hind end, but otherwise looked normal.

Will be interesting to see what he looks like for tonight's event - I remember Lillie's mount last year raised a lot of eyebrows.

3 members found this post helpful.

UGH, I hate to hear this stuff. FWIW, here is the description posted on the "other" board...
    "What a spectical that Parkland ridden by lillie keenan and trained by the heritage groom dropped in the schooling area just before the small older juniors multiple times for all to see, even crapping on his way down uncontrollably, vet came, horse rushed back to the barn and no worries, brought it back to show in three classes dragging feet"
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I would take anything posted on Horse Show Diva with a giant chunk of salt. Not that I have any knowledge in regards to this event, but just putting that out there.

I got a text about it this morning from a friend in WEF - she wasn't sure what had gone down, but she had overheard some people talking about it.

I really have no idea if this is a rumor or if it's the truth, but this is so disturbing.

I hate to say it wouldn't surprise me (in agreement with the sad life for big hunters), but it really wouldn't.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

4 members found this post helpful.

Not surprised.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

How does a horse drop multiple times? I hope this isn't true

I'm so glad I'm out of hunters. These people live in a very strange self serving bubble. I often wonder why big owners continue to send huge money to trainers known to drug. Then you see them with their year end awards and its meaningless. Maybe the horse that one the year end was clean, but when you see trainers set down time and again, it taints all the horses in their care. I got the year end issues of the magazines, saw the winning hunters on the covers, and in at least one case, just threw it away. These people are destroying the sport, and our governing body is letting them. Helping them in fact, featuring recent offenders on their cover.

26 members found this post helpful.

it happened

There are enough details to this that I wouldn't be surprised at all that it happened. If it is true, I think it is so disturbing. [edit]

Watching Bases Loaded stumble around last year was so awful. I really hope that child and her parents are being careful.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 27, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

16 members found this post helpful.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what do you mean by "dropped"? Like the horse fell to the ground while she was riding it? And it wasn't from tripping or getting caught in the footing or something?

Quote Originally Posted by HJStyleReport View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but what do you mean by "dropped"? Like the horse fell to the ground while she was riding it? And it wasn't from tripping or getting caught in the footing or something?
    Yes. Apparently multiple times. Seems it happened with a different horse last year, too (though I don't remember that one actually falling down...just stumbling and tripping like a drunkard trying to walk home).
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Not going to say too much.... Let's just say, it's not something one encounters schooling for the junior hunters very often...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Yes. Apparently multiple times. Seems it happened with a different horse last year, too (though I don't remember that one actually falling down...just stumbling and tripping like a drunkard trying to walk home).
    That was Bases Loaded in the Hunter Spectacular - he crumpled to his knees upon landing after a jump as if is legs had given out. It was sad to watch.

So I can't wrap my head around this - Lillie is allegedly schooling a horse that falls down while she is riding it more than once (but she keeps getting back on? ) Then it goes back to the barn to be treated by a vet, it comes back to the ring and she still gets back on? Really? How could anyone think that was ok? This is what makes me doubt the story.

27 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by EML1960 View Post
    Not going to say too much.... Let's just say, it's not something one encounters schooling for the junior hunters very often...
    Agreed. The horse should be safe enough for a Junior. This is dangerous.

Janeway, you are exactly right. I was just keeping his name out of my post to keep from confusing matters more.

For anyone who doesn't remember/hasn't seen/didn't see Bases Loaded in the Hunter Spectacular last year (I had to look it up earlier because I couldn't remember):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkOxWkz88Qc

There IS a mistake in the name of the rider, it is in fact Lillie Keenan.

6 members found this post helpful.