The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'm not looking for a religious area. I am mostly looking for a personal-freedom-oriented area. Should it really be illegal anywhere in America for there to be a limit of two cats or two dogs in a single family home? I don't think so. And, yes, I want to feel that I can protect my life again without risking going to prison.

Developer-run areas are obviously out.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

If you're looking for personal freedom from the government in FL, you won't find it anywhere except the boonies where nobody gives a damn what you do or how you do it. Those are the most run-down and often unsafe areas to live in FL because they are populated by criminals and deadbeats.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    (Tweeting in the cop term of people who are manufacturing and smoking crack.)
    You mean "Tweaking." Tweaking used to mean doing crystal meth. That's not the same as doing crack. I don't know if people "cooking" meth are also called tweakers.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.

I live in Ocala and still feel that personal property rights are respected. If your dog is barking or bites someone that comes in your yard, most people here say that the person should not have come in the yard. Up North you would worry about getting sued. Also, no one bothers anyone about thier yards etc unless you are in a gated community with a HOA. It's still not uncommon for folks to have guns and sometimes we do hear shooting. We used to do target practice when out manure pile was big enough for a backstop. My neighbors are kind enough to call me if they plan to shoot because of the horses (they do not want to spook them, but that is not a worry). I think that is nice, but not necessary.

That said, I am from New England and am a conservative and find some of the "Yankee" comments insulting. There are obnoxious Southerners and Northerners alike - take people as they are, not as your predjudices find them.

8 members found this post helpful.

Coyoteco
    I'm not looking for a religious area. I am mostly looking for a personal-freedom-oriented area
    You might be interested in my property. The neighbors have been given the personal freedom to drain their sewage onto my property.

They will shoot you or sic their pit-bulls or monitor lizard on you if you complain.

You'll LOVE it!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    If you're looking for personal freedom from the government in FL, you won't find it anywhere except the boonies where nobody gives a damn what you do or how you do it. Those are the most run-down and often unsafe areas to live in FL because they are populated by criminals and deadbeats.
    But you will be free and surrounded by other people who place a premium on their personal freedom as well.

Best of luck with that.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

How about you man up and quit being afraid of everyone and everything and live wherever you want to live regardless of whether there are people who disagree with you nearby?

13 members found this post helpful.

Oh I forgot, hope your idea of personal liberty does not include the right to vote. Good luck with that.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Funny, one of the best places in Florida to find freedom-loving people (who tend to lean right) are the Cuban neighborhoods, ie the ones who escaped. Liberals love Cuba, they wish their government could have that kind of power.
    "Liberals love Cuba"? That is so completely ridiculous, I'm not even sure how to respond to it.

I live in Miami; there are a LOT of Cubans here. And in the last election, Miami-Dade County voted very much for Obama (I think something like 90%). There were a whole lot of Cuban Obama volunteers at my polling place, while the handful of Romney supporters were definitely not Hispanic.

8 members found this post helpful.

If you're looking for freedom from government interference, Somalia is for you.

Bonus: its got lots of cheap beachfront property!

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    I'm not looking for a religious area. I am mostly looking for a personal-freedom-oriented area. Should it really be illegal anywhere in America for there to be a limit of two cats or two dogs in a single family home? I don't think so. And, yes, I want to feel that I can protect my life again without risking going to prison.

Developer-run areas are obviously out.
    Ummmm...how about Key West? Personal freedom abounds. Just ask the neighbors. Chances are they're going to be gays... The island wildlife is feral chicken and cats. You can have a billion cats. Dogs, too. No one will care. Heck, you can have your own zoo. And no way no how is KW religious, except for the Cowboy Masses that are held each Sunday for the island bum population. Tolerant? You betcha. Somehow I didn't feel like I had to pull a gun on anyone while there. They even have a K-Mart and a Home Depot. And great views everywhere you look.

Honestly, it is a bit expensive, and the bed bug is the official island insect...but...you can find a place on ( or just off since the island is only 2 miles wide) the beach and live the life of Reilly. As long as you don't mind the rainbow flags everywhere.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    They will shoot you or sic their pit-bulls or monitor lizard on you if you complain.

You'll LOVE it!
    How does the monitor lizard attack work?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Otherwise, Idaho has many "consersative" groups. And southern Idaho has a milder climate than does the rest of that state. (If Texas secedes, that is the place to go.
    Oh, too funny! My husband and I were having a meal at the monthly Food Truck Rally in Boise a few months ago and the couple sitting across the community table from us struck up a conversation. They were out-of-state transplants who moved to Idaho because they wanted to live in an area with other "like minded conservatives".

At that, an older couple sitting to their right spoke up and commented that they were 3rd generation native Idahoans and it was people like them that were ruining the state. Then the gentleman stuck his cowboy hat on, sttod up and offered his wife his hand and off they went.

So maybe Idaho doesn't want to be a Mecca for intolerant, small minded people any more than the next state?
    Sheilah

9 members found this post helpful.

The interior of north Florida has many areas that are still very much the kind of area you're talking about Coyoteco, although Alachua County/Gainesville is sort of an anomaly (informally known by some as The People's Republic of Alachua County). The panhandle region is also generally pretty conservative.

mvp

How does the monitor lizard attack work?
    Don't you watch Animal Planet? They ate their owner on "Fatal Attractions"!

Quote Originally Posted by witherbee View Post
    I live in Ocala and still feel that personal property rights are respected. If your dog is barking or bites someone that comes in your yard, most people here say that the person should not have come in the yard. Up North you would worry about getting sued. Also, no one bothers anyone about thier yards etc unless you are in a gated community with a HOA. It's still not uncommon for folks to have guns and sometimes we do hear shooting. We used to do target practice when out manure pile was big enough for a backstop. My neighbors are kind enough to call me if they plan to shoot because of the horses (they do not want to spook them, but that is not a worry). I think that is nice, but not necessary.

That said, I am from New England and am a conservative and find some of the "Yankee" comments insulting. There are obnoxious Southerners and Northerners alike - take people as they are, not as your predjudices find them.
    Oh, Witherbee I'm sorry if you were offended by the other poster's use of the term Yankee in this thread. I understood him to be using the term very specifically in a way that does not, by any means, include all Northerners, or even all Northerners who move to the South. It connotes a very specific kind of attitude and conduct. Had he said there were too many Northerners moving down to Florida, I would have considered that insulting to non-southern people, but from my personal understanding of the conversation, the term "yankee" was used to limit the people insulted to people who exhibit a very specific conduct.

You do make Ocala sounds like a reasonable place, and it certainly is a nice place.

Intersting the assumptions people make - many of which are insulting, of course.

I don't mind living in a gay community, depending on the gay community - you people sure don't know me") Key West though, as beautiful as it is, is a bit clausterphobic to me - wonderful place to visit.
    I don't mind living in a criminal community, depending on the criminal community.
    I do mind living in a rude community - such as the sewerage and attack lizards.
    During my entire adult life I have lived in liberal communities by choice, but "liberal" has been on a more and more extremest and powerful path that has lead it to mean oppression of other's personal freedoms.
    I value personal freedom. As for Samolia, after four centuries of family history in America, I'm not looking to abadon her in her darkest hour.

As for the story about the Idahoans being rude to the newcomers, I had something like that happen to me in a small mining town in my state last summer. A rather rude old crusty miner told me "We don't like your kind." I talked for awhile and he warmed up to me after that but I remembered his words. Now that one one man. So, a couple of days later, i talked to THE miner in the area. He had been there for generations and was highly regarded. He really liked my family and me and we talked of mutual acquaintences all over the state (I am not without connections to the old world of mining - the first man just didn't ask). We went out to dinner, and by the end of it he was ready to have me move there but wanted to back me for political office. The first man had made many erroneous assumptions, but not only that - the second man said the first man was new to the area and had come in very heavy handed trying to push everyone around. The first man had mentioned the second man to me in awe of him. So, an idiot standing up and being rudely indignant and saying that the newcomer isn't welcomed may, himself, be an outcast in that very community and an unwelcomed "newcomer". Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyoteco View Post
    Oh, Witherbee I'm sorry if you were offended by the other poster's use of the term Yankee in this thread. I understood him to be using the term very specifically in a way that does not, by any means, include all Northerners, or even all Northerners who move to the South. It connotes a very specific kind of attitude and conduct.
    LOL.
    I've had several people over the last 30 years use that EXACT SAME argument to defend the use of the word 'nigger'.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

7 members found this post helpful.

GREAT! Sounds like the place for you!

2 members found this post helpful.

You asked specifically about Florida, but it sounds to me like you might be content in coastal S. or N. Carolina. My mother lives on the coast of NC and her county is predominately conservative. Yes, they are whack job conservative (to me), but they are not necessarily religious conservatives. Lots of yankees move to the area to be near the beach, but there is still a hardy local contingent. She has yankee friends who are democrats (and appalled at her political beliefs) and she has southern friends who are more wacky conservative. Most people there seem to get along though.